Under the bus again...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Dec 4, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yeah I kinda agree with Flip's inability to hold himself accountable for certain aspects of the game, such as; he never comments on how he could have used the rotation a little differently i.e.

WRONG LOW, if it was LB he simply would have done two things, either went over to the bench and smacked Darko and Delfino, or he would have blasted them both in the media for making noises while the other guys were on the floor trying to concentrate on balling.

LB was very selective of what player he blasted in the media.
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

He could be "selective" because guess who always decided they weren't going to listen?
  3. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Except when L B went to NY he blasted all the players and sometimes humiliated the players in front of the media. I think LB lost it last year and probably won't coach again. He is a self obsessed, ill tempered greed head. It was always all about Larry and to hell with the players and the fans. He turned his dream job into a perfect nightmare.
  4. Pwn Toney

Right and the players were model citizens and did everything the coach asked them to and for no other reason than to soothe his own ego...LB just blasted everyone....It was awful...there was blood, guts, and screaming everywhere!

BLOODY MURDER!!!!
  5. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

And thats why he got fired! Plus he had about a million different lineups! There was no excuse for the coach's poor behaviour. The Knicks got him many of the players he wanted. The players simply refused to tolerate his abuse. That was Larry's fault. Larry may be a talented coach, but that is overshadowed by the fact that his is an abusive little tyrant.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Larry reminds of of a certain Scottish king...

... "this my hand will rather

The multitudinous seas incarnadine, Making the green one red."

Lots of blood.
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Larry did a bad job with the Knicks last year. The rest of his coaching career has been pretty stellar though. Hell, you can't always make Mona Lisas.
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think LArry just got in a situation that was bad for him. YOu think you can tackle any situation but those guys...they aren't the LB type players he wanted. He's not a flexible coach. When they didn't conform, he just sucked.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah EasyB, I was waiting for the LB comparison. I'll leave my sig.!
    Low, nobody can stop you from formulating a Darthian attack on Flip. The guy needs to be under relentless microscrope. But you can't have it both ways. Either he and LB throw guys under the bus because they can't perform or they need a kick in the pants. The players have the right to know what's expected of them. Rather than make a player do something he can't the coach must cream his forte.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, they my have been speaking a foriegn language too.
    Be sure to add that to a darko thread. :pound:
  11. Pwn Toney

Your personal labels aside, when you have a coach with that kind of history of success, you are obligated to LISTEN.

You DO NOT get to just show up, shoot whenever you want, play no defense, never pass, and be a jackass case you have a new shoe coming out or you have a character in NBA Ballers for PS2.

Screw those players. They chose not to listen to a coach who is in the BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME FOR GOD'S SAKE. THEY were to blame.
  12. Pwn Toney

Major Difference: One has a history of coaching success. The other has a history of 1st round failures.

FALSE!

This is the A1 reason why I prefer LB. LB worked with players for continual improvement of their OVERALL game. The fruits of which appear in the form of improved in-game performance and versatility mixed with an increase in skill sets across the board (especially in weak areas). Players also learn to be effective and contribute in other ways if their one major skill isn't on point for the night.

Coaches like Cola and Flip only find ways to focus on their players strengths. They can only utilize the one thing a player does well and if he isn't currently doing that one thing very well, he is effectively useless to the coach.
    HUGE SETBACKS:
    A) If these coaches don't have the "best overall team" in the league they have no chance of winning the title.

B)The players never learn to improve their skill sets as they are spending ALL of their time on things they can do easily and almost NO time on things they need to improve on.

C) Players who CAN be useful are often left unutilized and essentially discarded for no other reason than the coach can't find a way to get them involved in their "gameplan/system".
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

And that's the coaches fault. At some point you realize you get paid to win. That's it, and we see the same issues but different reasons for the cause of those issues.
  14. Pwn Toney

Sure, if you're assuming your players are all "old dogs" and/or "Rain Man" that can be insanely superior in one facet of the game, yet completely unable to comprehend, learn, or fathom any other skills you may wish to imprint on them.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You mean like BBeen Wallace.
    Flips problem isn't just winning without sound defense. It's winning in the playoffs. So you would think he would adjust his team to win in the playoffs. But how do you practice for that? Should he sacrifice reg. season wins to achieve a perceived better playoff team? What if he loses, anyway, in the playoffs? His season of sacrificed wins will look like confusion if he fails. And confusion is not a part of good coaching.
  16. Pwn Toney

LB apparently "sacrificed wins" (not that 54 wins is sacrificing) when compared to 64 to improved Wallace's offensive ability. Not only was it working, it netted us a title. I'll take that approach anyday over the Flash and Dash and "ooh look, we'll score more, now!" way of doing things.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

How come we didn't win it the next year? We played the right way. I think there was some bad luck envolved. Or loss of home court, maybe.