1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Unleash Iverson or trade him...........

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok, AI finally erupetd for 30 points last night and helped the Pistons eek out victory against the lowly Sacremento Kings.

Then on our beloved forum he was criticized for his lack of defense!!

As I mentioned in another thread, AI was not brought here to be a lockdown perimiter defender, or for his defense at all. He was brought here to provide scoring when the usual drought happens, say every other game or so.

I heard Eric Snow say on NBA TV the other day that AI must be aggressive, in attack mode at all times to be effective. He must get to the line 8-10 times a game, and I`m going to say it........avg. 20+ points a game for this Piston team.

I agree with him.

So, Sheed, Tay, Rip and others, let AI do his thing. Oh yeah, he can pass the ball, don`t believe the hype about he can`t deliver a nice assist now and then, just catch it and finish after he draws your man while penetrating.

The bottom kline is, a passive Allen Iverson is of no value to this team, an agressive AI can one can make others better.

UNLEASH THE ANSWER!!!!

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Say the last 10 minutes of the game like Manu G did us or Bron. That would mean he would need to bring the ball up. Is coach smart enough to do this ?
    If we don't want Stuck and Amir to leave we must pay them soon. Both will command about $10M per.

3. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

You read my mind man..

Just look at the sixers team in 2001.Pistons nearly have every piece of that team with so many pluses.If Dumars and Curry let AI play like MVP i'm pretty sure pistons will win it all.I say this because i want AI to get his ring desperately...not for his stats i mean for the championship

BTW if you want AI just pass the ball and limit his man to 5 points so why did pistons trade chauncey, mcdyess and samb for him.Iverson is a superstar, best scorer in the nba....If you make him normal player then Pistons will loose a lot.

Unleash Iverson Bring The Title.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice post Permaximum!

I have to agree. Let's not forget that Iverson has an un-Piston like defensive intangible. He can pressure his man by drawing fouls and forcing his defender to exert a lot of energy to stop him.

He's not going to be Billups, if he was we wouldn't have traded him. You don't use a knife as a spoon. AI brings things we don't have, like superstar respect, the ability to break down defenses, to get out in the open court and make plays (witness his transition passes) and to speed the game up late.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I agree...but will the other players go along with a change in team philosophy.

6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Wha? No way either of them would come close to 10M per year on the open market at this point.

I agree that AI needs to be given the keys to the ship in certain situations. I didn't like seeing Rip and Tay isolating towards the end of last nights game while AI just stood there.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

We just got him. He's played what...three games? Give it some time and let's see where everything falls. Then, and only then will we really have anything to judge by.

People said the team may struggle for 20 games. I guess it's easy to say it but difficult to witness.

I think he will be a good fit, but regardless, we really have very little information at this point.

We will see what the team needs from him and whether or not he is willing and capable of giving it.

This may be the most exciting thing to happen to the team since the championship in 2004. It's great to see everyone so pumped up. I think we will be rewarded. But not today or tomorrow or next month.

I think we will see some great things develop sometime in mid-January or so. The coach is still feeling his way around too. Give it some time my Piston Brethren. Give it some time.

:darthvader:

8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

We'll need the zone. Desperately.

If we can do that on defense, hide his defense quite a bit, and let him be him on offense, then I see no reason why we can't win a title.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure who criticized AI's defense, but his defense was as good or better than most Pistons. Afflalo and Bynum were definitely solid on D. Rip and Sheed were terrible. I'm sure there will be games when we can be critical of AI, but last night was not one of them. He was sensational. There are not many guys in this league that can have the ball in their hands for much of the nearly 46 minutes that he played and have only 3 turnovers.

10. The Palace Artest

We'll have something we didn't have before the trade with AI: constantly playing the passing lane. Many fastbreak points. With Chauncey gone maybe the Pistons will be finally able to operate on the break.

But even the most fervent AI supporter (and I am one of them) can't make an excuse for his man/perimeter defense. The guy can't guard anybody, but its really nothing a zone can't fix. It shouldn't be too much of a problem when our help d finally comes around. Let's not forget AI has been playing for George Karl. I'm pretty sure that the Pistons aren't going to turn into the Nuggets anytime soon.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Aren't we already the Nuggets?

I'm actually more worried about Stuckey's defense at this point. I expect AI to suck.

12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Did you expect AI to be a good defender?

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

People need to realize that "Going to Work" died when Big Ben left town. Joe D. was to stubborn to realize that 2 years ago until now. The league doesn't want defense. We are in the process of reshaping our team and getting younger. We needed a player that can create his own shot and score at will if needed. A.I. has played 3 games and people want to run him out of town. It is insane give A.I a chance atleast 20 games. The regular season means nothing anyway it is all about the playoffs.

What people really need to be talking about is Sheed. He just wants to jack up 3's all day long. What is his shooting % this season in the 30's?

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

If he really wants a title he better step up on the other end of the floor. It's never been AI's strong suit, but it wouldn't take much effort to equal or surpass CB's D.

AI needs practice :D

15. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Hey man you are my hero. I wish you could talk to lpgirl she is driving me crazy with her negative commentary all the time, lmao.:frusty:

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He was brought here to expire.

If he can score 30 points "leashed", then keep using him in this way and hope the other players play better.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The league may not want it, but defense still wins championships. The Celtics were the best defensive team last year, CLE/SAS the previous years. We seem to be moving away from it while everybody else is trying to get closer. The LAL with their star power got owned in the finals, and now are focusing on becoming a defensive team. I've been confused since the day Joe hired Flip about what he's trying to accomplish in terms of direction.

Then ignore it. I'm not going to sit here in denial saying lalala everything is peaches and roses; AI will magically become the type of player he hasn't been able to be in 13 years, etc. We look bad so a majority of the comments not just from me i might add are about whats wrong w/ the team and what looks bad. They play better then there's reason for optimism, but if after that Celtics game if you could see positive then you have a very positive outlook on life (which i don't mean in a bad way).

I'm just going by what i see on my TV. I even typed up a 500 page post on what we could do to improve.

18. The Palace Artest

no i didn't. i'm just acknowledging that he gets completely destroyed when left alone by both big and quick guards, and i haven't been encouraged with our help defense so far this year, even the first two games.

and then I followed up with that i don't think we're going to turn into the Nuggets as the season goes along. Shoring up the defense will be the ultimate priority this season, as I have no doubt that the offense will turn into place.

EDIT: lpgrl, that was our SECOND GAME with Iverson. I'll agree that we'll go nowhere with that type of play but it's awfully jaded to think that we're going to struggle the entire year without improvement because AI just completely destroys what everyone else does on defense. It almost never looks good this early.

And defense still wins championships. That's how LA's gimmick was exposed by a team that contested every possession in the Finals. Gasoft, Vlad-Rad, and Odom being prime examples.

19. max

max All-Star

Its is funny how there is so much judgement after 3 games with AI and yet below this post there is something in bold blue on how CB told everyone to give it 15-20 games.

20. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I agree. I vote...

unleash

Or at least have some patience for a team with a rookie coach that just made its biggest trade in years.