Urgh Dumars....

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 22, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

AL TOBY: The rumor, The Answer dish from Joe D

Right, like he would admit it if there was.

Yeah, I can't go over the cap, but that doesn't stop us from raising tickets prices. hehehe...
    Ok, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the first rule of being a GM, NOT negotiating in the press?

And if so, wouldn't the second rule be "don't admit you're going to give a max deal"?

I am absolutely terrified of a 31 year old PG starting a long term max deal.
  2. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Yeah but you don't have to be afraid when he is an all star and MVP.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Urgh is the right word roscoe.
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D is ruining his former good reputation more and more on a daily basis...
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Would you believe a subtle ploy to make other teams think CB is a max guy so they'll feel good giving up someone good for him?
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Show me that GM out there who is stupid enough to trade someone good for a 31year old PG who's expecting a max or at least near max- deal?
    I know there are many dumb GM's out there, but this is probably not the right way to improve a player's value.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

These are the exact same reactions I had when I first heard this (along with I guess Ben wasn't worthy but Chauncey is?)
  8. roscoe36

Btw, Chauncey's max deal would start at $17 million and change.

I'm introducing a new concept we will call the micro rule.

After the age of 30, a player should not make more than half his age in millions per season.
  9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I bet Isiah would ship us Starbury for Chauncey. Not that Starbury would improve this team any tough. LOL:stirthepot:
  10. Winless Wonders

Don't get nervous people. Joe D. is not going to give Chauncey a max deal. They would not pay Grant Hill who at the time was younger and a better player. These are the same words that came out of his mouth when Ben Wallace's contract negotiations were getting under way last season. We have heard it before money will not be a factor we will get it done. BLah... BLAh.. BLAH.. Just like with Grant Hill and just like Ben Wallace some team will swoop in with a deal that Chauncey simply can't refuse and Joe D. will shrug his shoulders and be like we did our best to keep him.

Oh and by the way his 2004 going over the salary cap to pay the luxury tax was not that significant because half of Rasheed's salary had already been paid and they only went over by a couple of million dollars. It is not like the team went over by 10 or 15 million.
  11. Buckeyes#1

Is Joe Dumars worse than what he appeared two years ago or is he better than what he appears now? I guess what I am asking is, which one is the real Joe Dumars? He better snap out of it soon cause he is really making some boneheaded decisions lately.
  12. Winless Wonders

Could the Teflon Man be involved with a lot of these decisions lately??:stirthepot: :pound:
  13. roscoe36

That's correct Winless. By my estimate, Detroit was the lowest salaried team to exceed the tax that year, and likely paid less than $3 million to win that championship (which needless to say, has netted huge returns...)
  14. Buckeyes#1

This may be a stupid question but who is the Teflon man? I thought that was Bill Clinton but I know that's not who you are talking about.
  15. Buckeyes#1

What do Joe Dumars and our starting five all have in common? They all got full of themselves and thought everything they touch turns to gold. Now they are dealing with their humanity.
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Knicks signed a 30 year old Alan Houston to a Max deal, look how that turned out.

Nash couldn't get a max deal cause of his age, how the heck can we offer that money to CB? Points guards crash and burn young, they're the NBA version of a running back.

CB's going to have no wheels in a couple of years, who the heck is he going to guard? And making 17+ mil per? C'mon.
  17. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like the Micro Rule.
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I would have traded for Magic when he was 31 if he hadn't become HIV positive (He retired the year after he became 31, except for the year he tried a comback when he was 36)

I would have also traded for John Stockton when he was 31.

And of course there was Michael, who most don't consider a point guard, but I do as I have posted many times) who played another 3 sterling years with the Bulls after he was 31 before he took up golf prior to his comeback attempt with Washington when he was 38.

Generally speaking though I would agree with you, however there are exceptions. Is C-Bill one? Don't know, only time will tell. Clearly though C-Bill is not in the class of the 3 I mentioned above.

:)
  19. roscoe36

Buddhafan, financially, those were different times.

I'm not saying a 31 year old can't be valuable. But at 31, you are not getting what you got at 28 from that player. So why pay for past performance?
  20. Winless Wonders

The Teflon Man is Tom Wilson. He has a lot of power and has Davidson's highest respect. He is like and adopted son to Davidson.