1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

US World Championship Team 15 Finalists

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by aurora, Jul 25, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Bill Walton said during the broadcast that Puerto Rico is ranked 11th in the world.

2. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Lets not forget Bill Walton is an idiot.

3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:laugh: actual quote during the broadcast from Bill Walton

"and we can't say enough what a really really great human being Dwyane Wade is." :pound:

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is also the same person who mercilessly butchers the English (or I guess Spanish) language by calling Carlos Arroyo's team "Porto Reecko".

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

that's how i pronounce it!!

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I pronounce it (Pooh-where-toe Rrrrrrrrrr-eeek-a).

7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i think redd, like chauncey and kobe, got a pass for this particular competition. i think he's getting married or some such. but he may yet be on the 15 man squad in the future.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Looks like Brazil gave the US all they could handle. Melo went down and the tide turned.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/basketball/cst-spt-usa09.html

I have friends telling me that the US should trump all, but I think they are looking strictly at names and star power. Disregarding that some of these Int'l squads are very well coached and prepared for what is a different game.

IMO, the US got past PR and China strictly on talent. Without the benefit of NBA referees, the tougher Int'l squads will provide very stiff challenges.

9. max

max All-Star

So far Wade and LeBran do not appear to be giving very much. I would be very interested if not getting calls had something to do with it. Perhaps they are not as agressive knowing the bail out whistle will not be there.

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My impression is the no one is playing a lot of minutes which may explain some of the difference. Actually playing end to end defense may be causing them to take it a bit easier on the offensive end too.

I've looked some for box scores but they don't seem forthcoming so it's hard to tell what role each player has.

11. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

dba, Here is the complete schedule, with box scores and other info.:)

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2006/06_mwc_training_schedule.html

12. dba

Thx, numbers are good. :hail:

Looks like Joe Johnson's 27 minutes against Brazil is the current high across all games, with 20-25 the norm for three or four guys and everyone else playing less.

The Brazil game looks pretty ugly. Take away LBJ's 6 for 11 and the rest of the team shot 38%. Take away Hinrich's 8 for 8 from the line and everybody else managed 55%. And they got outrebounded 41 to 25, mostly by Varejao who pulled down 16. 21 turnovers is pretty ugly too. Course, they did pass through quite a few time zones not too long ago.

Clearly Brazil is a much better team than either Puerto Rico or China, but they're not the tops. This thing isn't anywhere near guaranteed.

13. max

max All-Star

Scanning some of the articles at ESPN,etc.. There seems to be a lot of talk of "Is the US still dominate" or "Is the Gap closing"

That gap closed a long time ago. Its almost gotten to the point of being dillusional. We did not win the Gold in the 04 Olympics, came in 3rd place instead and that was after scrambling in 03 to even make it after the 02 debacle.

US is still set on playing by their own set of rules. But now we have to play by theirs. Some of the best pure shooters are foreign and most of the large Centers are as well. That gap closed 4-6 years ago. Ever since Stockton/Molone and Jordan stepped off the international circuit.

14. dba

We all talk about the lack of shooters in the NBA and the impact that has had on the team in the international game. Max's post reminds me of something I saw last week that listed the players by Olympics. The last team to dominate, in '96, carried Olajuwon, Robinson, and O'Neil at the 5 spot. The first team to struggle in 2000 (but still won) only carried one center - Mourning. The 2004 team only lists Duncan as a center (which of course he is not).

This year it is Stoudemire (now gone, and not a true center anyway), and Brad Miller. Talk about a major drop off in one position.

Maybe the downfall of the true center should be grist for some analysis.

15. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

NBATV is showing a rerun of this USA-Brazil game tonight Friday (well actually Saturday in wee hours) 1:00-3:00 AM Eastern time. I know that's late, but not for us on Pacific time, it's 10 PM -12 AM. The games against Puerto Rico and China were such blowouts, I'm interested to see what happened against Brazil. I guess Anderson Varejo's game was real impressive. Maybe I was hasty to call him "a floppy haired bum" against us in the Cleveland series.:)

I've made a decision that hating Wade and LeBron to the bottom of my heart is not going to serve me for the next decade of being a basketball fan. :mad: I'm hoping the hate will be somewhat neutralized if I can learn to tolerate them by rooting for the USA team. :usa: But then I hate Mike Kzchwhatever too.:mad: So it's a tough discipline tuning in to watch this team.

The upside is getting to see some players I've never seen before: Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh. Chris Paul is the real deal. And it is fun to watch LeBron not get calls, and Wade to even get offensive fouls against him!:laugh:

16. max

max All-Star

I know exacly what you mean. I have tried to like those 2 and almost liked Lebran at one point. Its tough to like them when they get all the calls. I am amazed how fans from other teams can like them as much as they do. Perhaps because most teams are not contenders.

17. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Been saying that all the time. Superstars in the NBA always have the refs to bail them out.

Penalties like palming the ball, travelling, etc. are not call in the NBA. NBA players get so used to this that when such calls are made, they will have a hard time adjusting.

18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I was watching the rerun of U.S. vs. Brazil game. It's the 4th quarter at a really critical point in the game -- U.S. and Brazil are trading baskets for the slim lead. LeBron puts up a major airball from dead center 3 pt line. Even better, he follows it up on the next U.S. possession by getting called for traveling on his drive to the basket (you know what drive I'm talking about, it's his signature 3 long step move). The play by play guy calls it the "NBA consecutive step hop." Hilarious! :pound:

USA v. Lithuania exhibition game starts in half an hour. I hope to witness more of these displays of basketball prowess from LeBron/Wade.

P.S. Anderson Varejao is a good player, versatile, passes well and can play all over the court not just under the basket. The Cavs are definitely underusing that guy. He was impressive.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

aurora is loving NBATV! :D

The Cavs are being very careful with how they negotiate with Drew Gooden, I believe due to the fact that Varajeo is viewed as the future starter at PF for the Cadavers.

20. max

max All-Star

I tried NBA tv hoping for a free period. Nope. Subscriptions only.

ESPN has the usual garbage, HS baseball and whatnot. Too bad they did not spring for some pre-tourney games.