1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

USA vs EUR

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by del, Oct 5, 2012.

1. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

Just finished watching Fenerbahce play the Celts and wondering with the rise of the the Euroleague whether there should now be a playoff between the USA "World Champions" against the Euroleague winners to determine the real World Champions?

Lots of things would be stopping it - like resistance from the NBA teams involved and Stern not wanting to give the Euroleague equal billing - but I think it would be a great concept.

What are other PF members thoughts?

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also not wanting to have a game of that magnitude where we either win huge or... lose. You'd also have Euro players on the US team and US players on the Euro team. Sort of weird.

3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Inter-league games are fairly common for other sports. Football (soccer) is the one which really comes to mind. Copa Europe and the Community Shield are fairly good examples.

4. del

I don't mind that though - it's about the best club in the world more than where the players are from. The FIBA World Cup is for that.

Well they have the Champions League, Asia cup, etc for football, which then results in the FIFA Club World Cup.

Doesn't baseball do something similar between the US, Japan, etc too?

5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I meant in terms of the winners of certain titles facing off against each other - Copa Europe is the Europa League champion v Champions Cup champion

del likes this.
  6. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. del

8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If something like this is to be successful there have to be something at stake so the clubs play their best lineups, the players care etc. They have tried this in soccer quite a few times and it's pretty clear that unless there is something at stake no one cares. Since the Champions League have huge prizes and is regarded to be THE international tournament every club strives to be in it and when in it to win it. However, there have been numerous other attempts like the World Championships for Clubs, Copa Europe, the Super Cup (the CL winner vs the EC winner), the World Super Cup (or whatever the CL winner vs the Copa Libertadores winner is called) and every league has it's version of the Community Shield. The status of these contests are not alot higher than a preseason game since the clubs participating don't play their best starting 11:s.

The NBA could stipulate that if the NBA team wins it gets extra cap space, a lottery 1st round pick or something else that matters and the cup itself provides a few million dollars to the winner which would ensure the european team will play their hearts out. It would also be refreshing to see a NBA team getting rewarded for performing well instead of being penalized for winning.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Aren't the European teams in the middle of their season now while the NBA is just opening camp? It seems like it would be difficult to synch the seasons up so both sides were peaking towards the match-up.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It's a small world after all.......I'm embarrassed to say how old I was and still calling people by the names of Gomez, Salami etc............If I had my way I'd be calling my son Coolidge right now. It was (and still is) my first choice for his name......... If something were to happen to my wife I'd be down at the courthouse changing his name before her body got cold!
    Basketball boon in Turkey due partly to ‘The White Shadow’ - Sports - Boston.com

11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

To think that "The White Shadow" influenced a generation of young Turkish hoopers is pretty freaking awesome.