Home Utah Jazz Friday, January 17, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps Jennings will figure it out? He is averaging 8.4 assists per game. When has a Piston done that? His defense could get better. His shot selection must get better. He is 24 years old. Should we write him off already?

2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I think you mean 'we needed a commander/pass first PG in the mould of Chris Paul rather than Russell Westbrook'. And to be honest, I agree with you. But if you want to talk meaningless stats, lets talk MCW. Trey Burke has helped the Jazz get back to relevancy and has played really well.

Which is good for 5th in the league! And his assist rate is better than both Wall and Curry. We can't be too hard on Jennings. He is actually changing his game. Focussing on passing. Trying (and failing) to run P&R's.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Don't be fooled by Jennings' numbers, he is and always will be a perrennial loser. He's a career 39% shooter that can't shoot, he can't finish with his right, he can't quarterback an offense, he can't defend his position and he's a poor leader.

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Harsh toke.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'll take it back if you can point out any fallacies.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I like Jennings. But I am totally serious on the following: He should learn to drive right, finish right. Until then, he should go on leave, and let Stuckey start at point guard. Siva can back Stuckey up, but only as foul trouble dictates for the most part until Siva can learn to knock down an outside shot.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think calling him a perennial loser may be a bit premature; the kid's only 24 years old. He isn't Chris Paul or Dyweane Wade, but he certainly has some skills. Also, I think saying that he's a poor leader is presumptive. There are all kinds of leaders, and I have no idea if he is or isn't one.

I don't think Jennings will turn around this team. Honestly, I'm not sure that he starts on a Championship team. But, he is young, and he comes up with a lot of assists considering that Joe has signed 14 guys to the roster that can't shoot. That has to be worth something...

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Josh Smith can shoot. He shoots all the time.

9. The Panda

Josh smith good
    [​IMG]
    Josh Smith bad

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Come on man, how long have you been watching the NBA? You've seen Brandon Jennings many times before this kid even thought about playing pro ball.....Jennings has LOSER written all over him. Not 1 other team wanted him this summer; Dumars got Villanueved by Hammonds again.

linwood and The Panda like this.
  11. The Panda

Although Jennings has played generally badly, you have to admit, even without a right handed layup, this guy has frightening potential. He must be one of the fastest players in the league and can get to full tilt in a matter of milliseconds.

Put it this way, Jennings needs one skill to be a big time star - splitting help. If he gets the confidence to just turn the corner early and blaze through the middle (and if our team can set proper screens), we are talking about layups and hand offs all game. His first step from what I have seen must be one of the fastest in the NBA and if he uses it right he could easily dominate.

This is all blue sky, he just needs the right coach.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I agree with everything you said but it has become absolutely apparent to me that Jennings doesn't have the necessary tool in his head or chest to be a winner. If EVERYTHING you mentioned actually happened he'd still be a loser......with great stats. I'm telling you I've seen this type many times in this league and Jennings is cut from the same cloth.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At least he has a pg coach who was a great defender. Probably not for long though.

14. The Panda

Who are the best 3 point guards in the game?

Before you answer, I'll give my best guess answer (when healthy of course):
    Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Tony Parker.

Steph Curry is an honourable mention here.

These guys are all better shooters than Jennings. I will happily concede that. But the one factor that makes them leaps and bounds better than him is that they use their explosive direction changes to get in the lane. That's it. Its the difference between an average NBA point guard and a game changer. You need to be able to split help defenders or turn the corner around the big guy (when you use PF/C to set screens) faster than they can rotate back to their man. It is the definition of creating space using dribble penetration.

Jennings dribbles from one side of the arc to the other. If he starts consistently getting to the free throw line while dribbling and forcing bad help defense, he won't just put up big numbers, he will win games.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Westbrook was left out. I would say he is ahead of Parker.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And he does that because he struggles to finish with his left, and he flat out can't finish with his right hand. Again, Jennings' main issues concern his head and what's (not) in his chest. The kid just doesn't have the intangibles it takes to be a winner.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He stays out of the paint in the half court offense and doesn't draw contact. He'd have to be tough like AI to do it, but it's a missing piece to his game. Would open up even more assists to the bigs too.

The Panda likes this.
  18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

AI had a offense built around his abilities and owned everything on the court. Jennings has had no team placement help (along with the correct offensive philosophy) to expand his game. With the strong athletic ability now (and soon to happen) on the Piston team, it might be advantageous in getting out of the half-court offense.

Of course, this means getting away from an old mythology that is forever carried around by historic achievements that JD is content to live with. The game has changed. This current group of guys are such meanies, that they can't even own their own home court.