1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Vegas Summer League!!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Those refs...

No matter where Amir goes, they'll always be out to get him. A player so good that he was blackballed before his career took off.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you guys think he's so bad, does it worry you at all that Joe signed him for a 2 year $7.2M deal after having 2 full years to evaluate him while he was part of the team? Also that he refused to trade him and put him on the untouchable list? Also that he [STRIKE]forced [/STRIKE] strongly encouraged Michael Curry to put him in the starting lineup?

You must think Joe is insane, and for good reason.

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound:

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Hey, TaShawn, I don't think he's bad. I don't believe he ever got a fair chance to contribute. Look at the minutes he played throughout his career. How many players can develop by just practicing? Ask Darko.

At the same time, he does have fouling issue, and that's the only thing that I was talking about when linking the article of someone saying that he doesn't have that problem.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry, I'm just still having a crisis in confidence in Joe. I just golfed with a bunch of die hard Bulls fans today and they were asking me why the Pistons took Ben Gordon. They wondered whether we knew that he plays no defense. I told them that we know, but that Joe is thinking 8 moves ahead and they will realize his genius shortly.

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Joe has had a lot of faith in incomplete players. Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Chucky Atkins, Jerry Stackhouse, Corliss Williamson, Lindsey Hunter, etc.

You might even put Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace in that catagory when they joined the Pistons.

I think that Carslisle's micro-management boot camp prepared those incomplete players for Larry Brown. Hopefully, Q can have the same effect, or Joe's gamble will end up a bust.

7. mikhail1973

It depends on what you'd characterize as a bust. If winning the championship is the only goal, then it is quite possible that we are in for a disappointment as those teams are extremely difficult to build, especially for a smaller market team. Spurs are still riding their bad years with Duncan's pick and good drafting along with having a great coach. Otherwise it is very difficult to build a contender. I am sure that Joe is trying, but we'll see where he gets this team in a couple of years down the road.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

I read what you're writing, and I agree. However, I think as this team stands right now, they will need a strong willed coach with a real gameplan to even be competitive. We have an undersized, athletic, offensively minded team with no center and (as of yet) no defensive identity. See Seattle Supersonics, 2005-2008.

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound:

10. mikhail1973

You are correct. I just hope that coach K has a gameplan and that Joe is not finished.

11. mikhail1973

At least someone agrees with me.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Daye showed some serious handles and excelled out at the 3pt line where he had the dexterity to make a dribble drive, pull up for a shot or spot the open man and make a pass. He had the length to bother guys firing jump shots but not the strength speed to stop a drive.

He looks great with the ball in his hands and disappears otherwise.

Trent does the dirty work inside and is rarely a recipient of a dish. I like what he does on the court but I've seen that before and he lacks something that sets him apart from every other hustling F/C. Good luck to him.

A lot has been made of Summers and he's looking pretty good. Deron...kinda a Mo Evans/ SupDup type of guy.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You don't have to justify anything to them. We just stole their best scorer!

14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

So far Daye has impressed me with the way he handles the ball. I have to keep reminding myself that he is 6'11" with a 7'3" wingspan, and that these are real measurements from the combine, not some Amir-style fairy tale.
    He has a smooth, effortless outside shot. Plays with an impressive fluidity that is very hard to describe. He doesn't look like a china doll out there either. Some work with Kander and he'll be alright.

DaJuan Summers is most impressive. Big NBA ready frame reminds me or Big Nasty, but Summers has shown perimeter skills so far that Corliss did not really possess. This kid can definitely play the four and give opponents something to worry about while holding his own if they try to post him up.
    I'm watching DaJuan and Austin play and I am not exceptionally surprised that the Pistons aren't in too big of a rush to get Boozer.

At the same time, these kids have significantly raised their trade value over the last few weeks.

You'd have to think that any trade that Joe offered in June that included the #15 or #35 would be viewed in a different light right now. Something to ponder?

15. roscoe36

It's something to ponder, but there is no way Joe trades these guys if he can help it. Their low salaries make them exactly the sort of foundation he needs to offset Tay, Rip and BG all making double the average salary or more.

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

True. Very true.

I'm just wondering if he will have to dangle something else to sweeten the pot, a la the Afflalo rumor as much as I dislike it.

17. mikhail1973

Summers and Daye heating up in Las Vegas

18. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

19. roscoe36

These announcers are idiots.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: Vegas Summer League!!!!---Saw the Kings game...

You know about Daye and Summers.
    But Sullivan was coaching and they mostly ran. Kings couldn't keep up. In transition Daye shot over everyone cause he went straight to the hole. I think Kings had 10 extra fouls trying to stop us. Daye is fast. Tyreke filled it up for the Kings.
    Battle, for the Kings stood out. He worked under the basket, took alot of contact and got the job done.
    ---Singletary a PG seemed to run the team well.
    ---M. Ramos filled it up well whenever he got the chance,16 pts.
    ---Trent P. did "Piston Center" things and held his own.
    --------------------
    Watch out for this MaCauley cat with the Lakers the ball finds it way to him.