Very Encouraging!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

At the beginning of the season, I started a thread entitled "Not Very Encouraging" Well with almost 1/3 of the season behind us, I think we all have to be encouraged somewhat with the direction of the Pistons.

Flip has started playing the bench (for reasons nobody can explain) and they are playing quite well. The defense has actually looked better, and the emergence of the Brahma has brought energy and excitement to the fans and players alike!

The only discouraging issue in this encouraging atmosphere is Sheed`s injury. How bad is it and will it heal without surgery. I guess those questions will be answered soon.

Let`s hope this winning, 9-10 deep rotation continues, and Flip doesn`t return to his former sins!!!!!!
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's not natural for posters to respond to a positive thread... why should this team be any good... the coach kinda sucks cause he doesn't play our preferred guys.. and we're stuck with our "not Ben"... never mind that we're winning.
    The Sheed injury is a blessing (he'll be fine)... but this gives Joe a chance to eval the other guys... guess we're OK for now... not to diminish Sheed's playoff presence but we've been catering to his disappearing act to long...
    I like the tone of the thread... this team is on track to do some nice things come playoff time... even 16 is on board lately (rare indeed).
    So what happens next... is the bench as good as the masses are portraying... maybe the schedule has been soft... or just maybe this team is capable of kickin' the East ass.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree Merc. Looks like the Piston's D is back, even without Ben. Lots of talent, blossoming bench... I see great things in the future.
  4. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Good things: the team seems to be united behind Flip, which would eliminate a factionalization. I'd like Flip to be outta here, but I'd rather the team be united and listening to whatever coach they've got. Also, Chauncey and Sheed appear to have been moved by what happened to them last spring. There's reason to hope they won't sleepwalk through Games 1 through 4 of all playoff series anymore. We'll see in the playoffs, but the death of the ``ain't rough/ain't right'' syndrome would be a huge development. Also good: Davis has shown he will be useful in the playoffs, and maybe even Max too.

Bad things: ultimately, Flip Saunders is still coach. If last year taught us anything, it's that no conclusions can be made from regular-season play. If we want to look at what will happen in the postseason, it's silly to look at the games the Pistons have played so far. So it's hard to know. Flip's met with no playoff success, either because his teams in Minny were undermatched or because he as a coach was overmatched. IMO, the biggest factor in the playoffs, if Flip makes it that far, is whether he's capable of learning from his failures. He's not going to suddenly rid us of the flawed system we're running, but our players are possibly good enough to get past that. So the question is whether Flip can learn how to play the matchups and make adjustments over a 7-game series. We have nothing to go on save his past failure to do so, but it's arguable that last year could have been a better lesson than his Minnesota experience.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Encouraging things Hack, encouraging!!

I agree with what you are saying, however, that`s too many bad things to mention here.

It`s true that Flip`s post season failures has defined his coaching ability. Maybe this year he plans to take a different approach with his team..ie, PLAY THE BENCH!

Something he didn`t do last year. Maybe, just maybe, he has the respect of his team this year and they are responding to him.

The playoffs are another level of play, but let`s wait it out and see what develops. At this point in the season, I see Miami and Chicago as our biggest opponents in the EC.

IMO, Orlando will not be in the first 4 seeds in the east and will not be a threat to the Pistons at all.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

yeah, I love to see the bench play. It's simply more fun to watch more than the 7 players every night. It's fun to see different faces, different styles and to know you always have something left. Loved the game when DD played like a young god, grabbing 10+rebs in about 20 mins. Or when Maxiell came out nowhere to crash the Sonics' boards. I love to see Delfino prove he's a solid NBA player. To see Mc Dyess show you can never count him out. See that young kid Ballock being happy like a small child at christmas to get some burn with one of the league's elite teams despite being drafted as the last player of the draft.
    That's how it should be. Play the bench as much as possible and still keep winning :cheerleader:
  7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i wouldn't mind sheed taking 40 games off and come back 10 games from the playoffs a la lindsey hunter. with the east being so weak it wouldn't really hurt us that much, and it would allow our bench to get a tonne of playing time.
    hopefully dice can get back in his groove - cavs game was a good start.

i like the way flip has played the bench the past week, but im still not that high on him because his hand was forced into that decision - either by sheeds injury or joe - this guy is too reactionary. hopefully, hopefully he is learning something from the exercise.

i think i know the point you're trying to make, i'd say the 2 are quite related to each other.
  8. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Once it was clear we were in trouble against Miami, Flip played the bench -- he threw Delfino and Davis in there in the first half. I guess that was his idea of mixing things up. Certainly didn't work, tho. I doubt Delfino or Max get serious run in the playoffs, the bench always shortens then. But Flip will need to understand the progression of strategy, move-countermove, if we're gonna have a chance in the ECF or finals.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

People don't like the Zone and there are times when it doesn't work too well but when the pistons have gone into it late in games, its thrown WAde and LEbron off their games.
    Like a bench player, the zone needs to be used in games regularly so late in the game its effective.

The current pattern of getting guys in the game is encouraging to me. Delfino is looking more and more comfortable and despite what some people say, is contributing well; especially in the rebounding department.

and Maxiell...just hang on brother.
  10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not always- til recent times, Flip tried to play the bench as little as possible because he didn't trust them. The Pistons were and maybe still are a team with a weak bench compared to other teams. It's been questionable for quite a long team if they still win with the starters not playing 35+mpg. I wouldn't say you need a good bench to win. Miami didn't have a good bench last year, the Jordan- Bulls only had Kukoc coming off the bench and maybe Kerr to shoot some 3's. The Lakers also hadn't got a good bench during their 3peat.
  11. max

max All-Star

Kid of the same theme in most of the replies here. Things are changing. Pistons have re-established themselfs as the Easts #1 team by trying something different. That is taking full advantage of the entire roster.

From the fan perspective it is a lot more fun seeing all these different players rather than the same 7 every night. Not only that but the Pistons have proven that they can still win with a core player like Sheed out. If it were the playoffs or the start of a West coast trip I would be concerned about Sheed. Now, at this time of the season give the guy as much time as he needs because we now have Davis and Maxiel to fill in.

Yes something is very different about this season. I had heard this several times before that Flip did not want to change too many things last season. He saw a good system and just let it coach itself. This year we are seeing more of his true coaching style. This is his team now. Question is how will it work in the playoffs? Kind of curious myself, we will see.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Exactly. Sheed's injury is actually one of the best things to happen this year. The longer he stays out the better. Of course, a decent coach would find time for Amir and Jason to play regardless of circumstances.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Our bench only appears weak, as Flip Saunders has chosen to make his namesake such a big part of it. But look at the last game to open the 4th quarter. Two starters, Billups and Tay, were out there with 3 bench guys, Maxiell, Delfino, and Dyess, and we totally rocked. Thats the kind of bench we really have. Hopefully, Flip Saunders will keep using the "good" bench, and shelve the "bad" bench for good.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

This season has gone far better than I expected without Ben. It's nice to see a little D, especially off the bench recently. As has been stated, the bench getting PT lately has been a forced issue, but has turned out very well IMO. DD is getting quality minutes and Corliss Maxiell is showing his stuff. Blalock getting his feet wet is good and, if he gets consistent minutes, he could be a contributor down the road. The team, as a whole, are giving more frequent displays of playing team ball and seem more unified than last year when we had two teams...the starters & the bench.

My short list of skepticisms:
    1) lack of a backup point...Flip Murray
    2) Sheed playing perimeter ball
    3) Flip Saunders
    4) where's Amir?

But...overall I'm happy right now :)
  15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Going back to my personal post season rant I relate this years sucess to a highlighted glaring weakness that has been solidly addressed.
    Joe D put two capable basketball assistants on the bench along side FlipS. Both with major NBA experience and success. Both were hardnosed, tough players. Unlike the preceeding assistants, each carries a sufficiently strong resume that their input cannot fall on deaf ears.

Cowens is in charge of developing the bigs and resurecting a power presence to what had become a totally finess offensive approach. offense.
    Porter brings more focus to defensive principles, and should be a great resource for our guards.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It would be interesting to see how the assistant roles are defined (somewhere in the archives)... I was under the impression that Igor was still in charge of working with the bigs?
  17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

and dont forget ron harper.
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

That was very strange starting that thread so early in the season, hopefully you won't return to your former sins. LOL

:cheerleader:
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It is definately exciting to see guys like Max, Delfino, and blalock get out there and make an impact on the team. Seeing the same 6-7 guys every single game for 3 years or so, had gotten kind of old. Even when they're winning almost every night last year it just got too predictable. Hopefully Flip realizes that young players can actually help the team to win games. You don't need 10 years experience in the league to make the team better.
  20. max

max All-Star

Thats true. Even the players need that. If you look at typical successfull dynasties of the past, they always brought in a couple of new role players every year. To mix things up a bit if anything else. Dumars was trying to do that but the coaches never played his new guys.