Very Encouraging!!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

I like the way the team has bought into the new defensive concept. The switching schemes and the lane clogging zones may just be the most effective counter to the superstar slasher who gets all the calls. As a side benefit, I have noticed that the Pistons are unfazed when the opposing team throws a zone on them. They are doing a much better job of recognizing defenses and running the plays that probe their weaknesses.
    I would like to see them try a line up of Blalock, Delfino, Prince, Maxiell and Davis. A shut down defensive unit that aims to create turnovers and missed shots, pushing the ball hard to create transition baskets. If Maxiell comes down as the trailer on the break, how many guys are going to step in and take the charge a second time.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

And what would that be my friend??:makmiday:
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

another nice game by the bench- no starter played more than 28 mins (CB), every bench player except for injured Lindsey and AJ got some burn.
    Maybe Flip somehow figures how to give some minutes to AJ too, then I'm completely satisfied. I hope the bench won't see a decrease of minutes after a couple of losses.
  4. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

LOSSES???

The way we are playing, who is going to beat us?

Seriously, the best strategy for continued bench play is a nice winning streak. That way it is easy on Flip.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Flip has always been a great regular season coach. I am very happy with the progress we've made this season, who wouldn't be? I think Flip has earned the right to be out of the hotseat...at least until the playoffs. As fans, I think we need to sit back and enjoy the most entertaining season in years and cross our fingers that Flip will morph into the playoff coach we need to win the championship. Anything is possible and Flip has earned his shot again to prove the naysayers (which includes myself) wrong about his ability to make adjustments and outcoach his peers in the postseason.
  6. Dlev59

The rest that our starters could recieve from extended minutes from our bench could prove to be very valuable come playoff time.

Yes, the rotation will decrease to 7, perhaps 8 players in the post season, but a rested starting 4 (excluding Nazr) would be helpful.

If the playoffs started today who would Flip go with for his rotation?

I would say, Delfino, J-Max and DD. That would leave Dyess out of the rotation, however we all know that would not happen.

If Flip could coach his way to an EC Championship with this team, Coach of the Year would be in order. A Championship would get him write in votes for President.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I do not believe Mohammed will be in the rotation when the playoffs start. Further, not to go 10 guys in the rotation is not a good idea really. If you have five bench guys who can play together, it maximizes the time your starting unit can play together.

Mohammed has yet to get any fourth quarter minutes this season. So to keep him in as a starter means continually trying to reinvent something at the end of each game.

So to answer your question, here is what should happen, and I am going to have faith will happen. Jason Maxiell will move into the starting lineup. As his comfort level improves with the starters, the defensive rebounding will become fine. At the end of games, we will have our starters in the game.

Our bench, playing 12 minutes per game-after having played 16 mintues per game in the regular season and being quite ready, will be Blalock, Delfino, Amir Johnson, Dyess, and Dale Davis. The only "shortening" of the rotation will be the reduction of time our subs play, which will be ok with the long timeouts, the longer halftiimes, and good rest between games.

Some people think this is way too optimistic, but those same people could not believe me when I said Blalock and Maxiell should be in the rotation. This proves Flip can do something right (with appropriate prompting from Dumars) and so again I will have faith that Flip Saunders makes the right choices going forward.

PS, Flip Murray and Mohammed will make fine emergency subs as our 11th and 12 men.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

"Our starters now know that they can go in there and play hard,'' Saunders said. "They have confidence in the guys coming off the bench. They don't have to pace themselves.''
  9. Dlev59

Lee that is very optomitistic indeed.

Very interesting point if true that Nazr has not played AT ALL in the 4th quarter of games.

Jason Maxiel may see playing time with the starters, barring another injury to one of our starters, I don`t see him cracking the starting lineup. AJ as talented as he may be, his PT will probably be limited to garbage time minutes.

What does it mean, " getting good rest between games"?
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In the playoffs, the games are well spaced. No back to backs. And the initial rounds are really well spaced between games, trying to get as many games as possible on National TV. A lot of 2 day rests between games.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just because a guy doesn't play in the 4th quarter doesn't mean he isn't making contributions in helping his team win. In 16-20 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters, Nazr gets his 8-10 points, 8 boards, a blocked shot, and a couple of fouls. At crunch time, you want someone else in the game. No problem. Sit back, Nazr, and enjoy the finish from the pine.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So far, Mohammed certainly is not helping us win. Instead, he makes our starting unit mediocre, despite having 4 star players on the starting unit. The trend is just slightly positive of late on this, so there is a ray of hope. But just a ray. (tracking thru 82games.com the effectiveness or our starting unit)
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Do we use the same stats for Delfino?
  14. BillLaimbeer

Of course not. You have to use different stats for different situations, depending on which ones support your argument better, silly. I don't think it matters which stat you use in comparing Nazr and Delfino, though:

Production
    Nazr -4.3 Delfino -9.9

On Court/Off Court
    Nazr -3.7 Delfino -6.3

Roland Rating
    Nazr -4.2 Delfino -8.9
  15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Not to try to support lee's argument (I'm fine with Nazr), but Nazr spends a much larger percentage of his minutes on the floor with the "big 4" than Delfino does. To be more exact, here are the total minutes each of them played with the best position players available around them (swapping Prince with Dice when Delfino is in since Delfino replaces Prince)...

Billups - Hamilton - Prince - Sheed - Nazr = 270 minutes (55.2% of Nazr's total minutes)

Billups - Hamilton - Delfino - Dice - Sheed = 17 minutes (4.9% of Delfino's total minutes)

So over 95% of Delfino's minutes on the floor are with "2nd tier" players. The good news is, the number is going the other way with Max, Blalock, and Davis getting more minutes.

(Note: A Billups - Hamilton - Delfino - Prince - Wallace lineup clocked in at a whopping 13 minutes... not used in this example because there are reasons to limit small-ball minutes)
  16. BillLaimbeer

Yea, but also keep in mind that Nazr plays against starters. Delfino plays against reserves.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You really can't. Delfino does not play with 4 stars. Instead, he plays along with Hunter and Murray most of the season so far. Not enough data. Nothing conclusive. But absolutely, a drop of over 25% from year to year by changing one player out (Mohammed replaced Ben Wallace) certainly is a strong enough indicator to talk about.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

True to some extent, but remember, I am not arguing that the little data we have on Delfino so far on each of the myriad of units he has been part of this season is enough to draw any conclusions. I am comparing a quarter of a season of starters minutes vs. last years starters minutes. A quarter of a season is enough to start looking at trends. So far, the data shows that our starting unit is mediocre, and there is plenty of data.
  19. BillLaimbeer

The data also shows that our starting unit (which includes Nazr) has led the Pistons to the current #1 seed in the Eastern Conference. Detroit is 14-3 in its last 17 games. That is the data point that matters the most and it is far from mediocre.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Here is the flaw in your thinking. You are basically saying leave good enough alone. So I guess that since we were winning already, it was a mistake to start playing Maxiell. And it was a mistake to start playing Blalock. Well, your logic comes up quite wrong in both cases. Blalock has clearly cleaned up the play of our 2nd unit, and Maxiell has clearly shown he belongs on the floor.

What has been winning all those games is our 4 stars, along with various other players not named Mohammed, have been winning 4th quarters and thus the game. We have four very good players on our team. Four stars. They can overcome quite a lot. No way does that mean we should not keep examining problems and looking for solutions.

Here is one other flaw in your argument. Yes, our 4 stars were winning games despite the flaws, but they were getting worn out doing so. Disaster was on the horizon. Things have changed for the better recently. And they can still improve, and should still improve.