Vick pleads guilty

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's true. Most any athlete who commits felonies gets blasted in the media. The court of public opinion came down much harsher on this one because of the dog abuse. That pushed our collective dog-loving buttons.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Some of these guys should just smile and wave. When they open their mouths, they remove all doubt about their intelligence and values.
  5. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Here's Marbury's rebuttal to what he said yesterday:

"I don't like it at all,'' Marbury told The Post. "I don't think he's right. He's 100 percent wrong. But this dude is trying to ask for forgiveness and everyone's turning their heads on a man trying to ask for forgiveness. The way it's going about in the newspapers and TV, it's ridiculous.''

Let's try to remember who is being charged. Marbury had nothing to do with this.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

he's asking for forgiveness? i have yet to hear him say one word outside of he'll be proven innocent. That and he said he needed to hang around different people (meaning people that arn't stupid enough to give the address of a dog fighting location to the police as your place of residence after being told to never use the address)

Marbury comes across as your typical over paid sports figure who thinks because he can kick, hit, or shoot better then most folks that there better then the rest of us and live by different rules.

Everytime I want to feel a bit of pity for Vick and that the media has gone to far with there reporting, something like this pops up and reminds me why Vick is in this situation in the first place. He felt he was above the law.... Don't break the law, or surrond ourself with the type of people that will break the law or drag you down.
  7. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

How much money does Marbury donate to charity? Is that typical of over-paid athletes also?

And I don't see anywhere in his quote where he claims to be better than anyone else, or that he or anyone else should live by different rules.
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    www.kansascity.com | 08/22/2007 | Top Ten Michael Vick Excuses
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

This guy lied to his boss, the owner of the Atlanta Falcons. He lied to the commish about this when asked directly. He even lied to his MOTHER when she heard the news and wanted assurances from her son.
    Nobody owes him anything..........:gun1:
  10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Here's my two cents...

I have no empathy for Vick.

He'll serve about a year for being a dog fighting kingpin who has funded and directed folks to torture animals in a manner that is even extreme for the average dog fighter. He's finally admitted guilt after first lying. The same team of lawyers that got Jayson Williams off (formerly of the New Jersey Nets) wasn't able to save him. Says a lot.

Oh what da hell, here's a dollar...

The focus in the news is in the wrong place. If you really want to get involved and help in a case that shows obvious examples of Jim Crowe laws still being in effect, research the Jena 6 case. Those young boys in Jena, Louisiana should be getting three times the publicity of Michael Vick. Vick will die a millionaire and he doesn't need nor deserve our sympathy.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well...I hadn't heard about the Jena 6, Motown. I read an article about 5 black youths beating a white youth unconscious. Charges were originally attempted murder, which was found to be excessive so they were later dropped to lesser charges.

I don't have all that much empathy for Vick either but I think we agree. There are a lot more newsworthy incidents that could be covered instead of hammering Michael Vick for dog fighting. The coverage is way out of proportion to the incident and it follows a pattern of media persecution of celebrities. Jason Whitlock wrote a good article about this comparing it to the recent persecution of Don Imus...which was also way out of proportion to the incident.
  12. ggazoo69

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

But which segments of the media are we talking about? I've been following the Vick case entirely through ESPN and other sports media, and they aren't going to be covering things that don't involve sports or prominent athletes in some way. I honestly don't know how much coverage Vick has been getting in regular news outlets. Obviously more than zero, but has it really been that much more than the Louisiana story you guys are talking about?

If you combine regular news and sports reporting into one category and refer to all of it as "the media," then of course Vick is getting way more coverage than many other cases that are arguably more serious or more important, but I'm not sure that means very much. And I'm not exactly standing up for the judgment of regular news outlets or anything; all the crap about Paris Hilton going to jail was just one recent instance where they were all chasing the most absurdly stupid celebrity "news" story instead of a million other things that were far more important. But I'm not sure Vick falls into that category. Within the sports world, there should be no surprise that it's getting this much coverage. Athletes of his caliber and fame don't go to jail in the middle of their careers very often; Mike Tyson going to prison for rape is the last comparable instance I can think of.
  14. basketbills

D4E...I'm talking about CNN and MSNBC type of coverage. It is like Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton, except those two probably want as much media exposure as possible, negative or otherwise. In Vick's case I've seen the cable news loop of him walking up to the courthouse a zillion times. And his media exposure doesn't help him as it does in the two previouly mentioned cases. It's like the Imus coverage...mean spirited and designed to destroy someone's livelihood.
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't know if it's all that comparable to Imus. Vick is going to jail, but not really because of anything the regular news media has had to say about it. He's done a pretty good job of derailing his own livelihood regardless of how many times they talk about him on CNN. But the Imus flap was a 100% media-driven thing from the beginning, not a criminal case. It was media figures talking about another media figure, with the one real question being whether he was going to get fired or not.
  16. ggazoo69

Kind of like Imus' comments.
  17. basketbills

Mean spirited for sure. But that's his schtick...a Don Rickles type of thing.
  18. ggazoo69

Well, one thing about Imus is you can choose NOT to listen to him. But the media made that impossible. Still, Imus was very apologetic and tearful when addressing the Rutgers women, one of which is suing him now. I think the guy has learned a lesson so I'll give him that. People might think I'm too PC and that words really don't hurt that much, but unless those words are directed at you (and have been for hundreds of years) it's hard to judge.

As far as your Don Rickles comparison goes, comedians are sort of on their own, unless they have a sitcom. Imus worked for a multi-billion dollar corporation with advertisers that had to be kept happy. He can be mean-spirited, sure, but if his financial backing does not like it, he needs to find a different media outlet, I think.

Look at what happened to Michael Richards. There is mean-spirited and then there is really mean-spirited.
  19. basketbills

Usually when one of these celebrities does something wrong they just go into rehab for a while and come out cured of whatever bad behavior they had.

I think Michael Vick could get some dog fighting rehab, and turn this into a positive. Maybe team up with Bob Barker on his get your pets spayed or neutered campaign.
  20. ggazoo69

Good idea. :pound: I've heard Imus might be coming back on the air somewhere so you might be in luck.