Vick pleads guilty

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I just heard on the news that Vick will likely serve 12-18 months in prison. That kind of irks me because this preacher's wife who murdered her husband just got out after about 60 daysin a mental hospital.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Vick should have plead insanity.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Your not in the minority. Most people only know that biased account of the events. Additional research would show a history of harassment, hate crime, institutionalized racism, premeditated assault, conflicting stories of how the incident transpired and infringment of freedom of speech to the members of the Jena 6. With no charges against anyone except for people of color. You'd also see a history of physical abuse to minorities in the city coupled with a smug attitude by most residents claiming that they don't have a problem. The issue is not about innoncence, but instead equal treatment by the law. I believe the term is Jim Crowe standard. Jena, Louisiana can easily be labled the backwards capital of the United States.

But rather than tell that story, the media would rather throw up a half-cooked story about kids who could really use the assistance and then focus all of there attention on a guy who has admitted guilt. Sad.

We are in agreement for different reasons. I think the punishments of Vick and Imus were both appropriate. The chances of both of them getting a second chance is high. America has a forgiving heart for those individuals who can still pack stadiums and a short memory for those who air racially insensitive remarks that only seem to offend the minority. Imus will be back on the radio waves and perhaps wealthier as a result of the exposure. America is consistent in that as long as you have money, you have opportunity. One thing is for certain, I could care less about Vick and Imus's issues. At the end of the day, they are both filthy rich and enjoying a lifestyle most would dream of. They don't need our empathy. America please cut the cameras off these bozos.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Something that's kind of sad about this is that the gambling-related charges are what carry the jail time. I doubt that if this was just about killing dogs, he would be seeing any jail time. So the act that the media and its collective audience portray as the most disgusting (the cruelty to animals) is the one that results in a slap on the wrist. But if you even think about making some money without the good ol' boys in government getting a share of it, you're doing time.

6. basketbills

Of course that's true MoTown...and I think you're right that they'll both get a second chance.

But I think the reason they get a second chance is because they deserve it. In the Imus case folks that have never listened to one second of his broadcasts...hear one out of context statement and judge him a racist. I have listened to many hours of Imus and know him to be a person that has done more for minorities in this country than a million folks like you or I. He made an ugly statement and everyone jumps on him.

Vick is being treated like the Son of Sam, BTK Killer and Adolph Hitler rolled into one. It's irrelevant whether you like him or not...or how much money he has. He is a guy with tremendous athletic talent. The only thing different at this point between these two guys is that Imus took his lumps, apologized and moved on.

Vick has lied to everyone including his own mother. Just come cleam Mr. Vick. Be honest and the public will hopefully give you the second chance you deserve.

7. MotownPride

How do you know what I've done to make such a statement? I dedicate half of my week to community service and have been involved in inner city upliftment from the school system level all the way to prison. He's done more than I have because he has more money? Is that your point? How much damage has he done by jading folks with racially insensitive views? Does coming out of your pocket with donations give you the right to contribute to the biggest problem in the Black community, self hate? I don't think so.

Actually its irrelevant that he has "tremendous athletic talent".

There are many things different about the two, but the one that stands out for me the most is the fact that its not documented that Imus tortured any animals that are integrated domesticly into American society. Most who are opposed to Vic's punishment do so because they don't see animal cruelty as being that big of a deal. Personally, I'm an animal lover so I disagree with killing them for sport. If its not to eat, I simply don't get it. That's my perrogative though, and with that opinion I am completely in line to say that I think the penalty is appropriate. If I ever knew someone that electricuted or shot a dog in the head that is not being aggressive, I'd consider them a sick indidvidual. It wouldn't matter how far they could throw a football or that they might be the best rushing quarterback of all-time. It also wouldn't matter how much money he had in his account. In this country it does though, because the legal system works best for those who have money.

8. basketbills

I apologize on my assumptions about you. Obviously they were way off base.

What Imus has done has very little to do with money. You aren't in a position to criticize him if you don't even know that much about him.

Vick has done some sick and reprehensible things. Let's not start dancing on his grave because he made some mistakes.

9. MotownPride

That's followed by another assumption. I'm fully aware of the work Imus has done for charities, my point for mentioning money is that its the only slightly obvious thing you can infer not knowing what I do at all. I've started numerous charities myself without having a laundry list of racially insensitive remarks on my resume. The comment he made about the women's Rutger's team wasn't the first time he was out of line. Just the first time he got fired for it. None of his previous work gives him a free pass in my mind to act in a bigoted manner.

Who is dancing? Another assumption. Jeesh.

Its a sad day in my eyes when ever an African American rises from poverty and excels in society just to implode in front of the entire world. Its disheartning, but gets old real quick. It's like watching the twin towers crash over and over again. Enough, already. The media is eating it up and not focusing on the people that actually do need help. Michael Vick dug his own grave. When the average citzen makes a bone headed move he gets fired from work. Typically, you aren't asked back. The only difference is that Mike Vick can go home and think about it as a millionaire after he finishes paying for his mistakes.

10. basketbills

I think eventually we will agree to disagree. But one more thing on Vick. I'm not saying he shouldn't be held accountable for his actions.

But he didn't implode by any means in my opinion. I thinks that's going way too far. Kobe Bryant imploded and bought his wife a ring and got the charges dismissed. Vick did something that American culture doesn't approve of and is against the law.

I saw a bullfight in Mexico once and the Matador got a huge ovation when he killed the defeseless bull. Here you put two dogs in a pit to fight each other and you go to jail and lose your career.

Ted Bundy got better press than Vick has been getting. I'll leave it at that and we can agree to disagree.

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't think it matters much to the points you're making, but really, this is a bit much. Arguing that he's been too harshly criticized is one thing, but saying that he's been ostracized worse than a serial killer is something else. He's facing a year or two in jail, not the electric chair.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Great stuff my man.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think the public outcry is that someone with the world on a platter, took pleasure in killing dogs outside the ring.

The federal charge is basically conspiracy. But I was listening to Andrew Napolitano on the radio this evening, and he said that his interpretation of the plea (he's a former Supreme Court Justice) is that Vick may have opened himself up to prosecution by the state for the dog fighting/torture specific incidents.

It was also Napolitano's opinion that Vick is being setup by this plea to testify against some much bigger gambling fish, possibly with serious mob connections.

Right or wrong, fair or not, Vick's days as Ron Mexico, football elite and hero to millions are at an end. He's entering a totally new phase in his life.

14. MotownPride

He lied, killing his credibility.

He financed dog fighting post his multi-million dollar contract and in doing so gave the media an opening to crucify him relentlessy.

I call that an implosion.

15. MotownPride

Thanks, my friend. :)

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Today's statement by Vick was a few weeks late, but at least it appeared to be sincere and from the heart...especially since there was no scripted reading from notes or teleprompter. Just need to know what his thought process will be when he gets out of the hole.:yellowprison: In other words does he get it and will he get new friends that will be stable well rounded individuals....and not rat him out a at moments notice!!

The question is who is next as he cannot be the only public person to do this. Right now there is no proof that there was dog fighting at the DMX crib in Arizona, but they did find dead canine on the property.

Sheriff Raids DMX's Home, Seizes Dogs -- Newsday.com

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Uh oh. Maybe Vick ratted out DMX already.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

... and dogs.

19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

This Vick thing is getting damn interesting. Support breaking along racial lines.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know. I'd personally like to see him get a light sentence and then go play for Cleveland.

On a serious note, does anyone here know why he would not go to a white collar prison since the crimes that he is admitting to were non violent and of a financial nature?