Vick's sentence: 23 months

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Dumars4Ever, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

ESPN - Vick gets 23-month sentence on dogfighting charges - NFL

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, it sucks for him. But it still allows him to salvage his career if he plays it right. He needs to stay in top shape, mature as a person, and figure out how to best show it when he gets out.

If he can do those things, then I'd welcome him to QB for a team with a cat mascot... i.e. the Lions.
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

It's apparent now (and has been obvious for a while) that even if he gets a few months knocked off for good behavior, he still won't have any chance of returning to the NFL until the 2009 season at the earliest. But if the league applies an additional suspension after he gets out, he might not even be eligible to play until 2010. Given how stiff the sentence turned out to be, maybe the league will leave it at that and not suspend him at all, but it's tough to say at this point.
  4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

He will be out before 2009 training camp begins.
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Nice to see he even gets a stiffer sentence than federal guidelines suggest AFTER agreeing to plead guilty. I wonder if I should be reading between the lines there.

Besides, he'll end up in the CFL because the NFL will go out of its way to make an example of him and never let him back on the field.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yeah i'm with the low...gotta read between the lines between this one. looks like the govt. is trying to make an example of him too.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Apparently there were some noises last week about how "the government believes Vick has not been forthright in his debriefs with them, and they may push to have Vick sentenced on the upward end of the sentencing guidelines." Though I'm not sure that had anything to do with the sentencing in the end (if indeed it was true, which it might not have been), seeing as how the other guys in the case got pretty stiff sentences as well.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

On the other hand maybe he will expand his non football business endeavors while he is a guest of the Feds.

He wouldn't be the first or last person to expand his/her business connections while spending time as a guest of the feds.

Not saying he will or won't but it certainly is a possibility.

:hoops:
  9. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

With his sentence probably ending in May of 2009, he certainly has the opportunity to be ready for the regular season. (Federal prisoners can be released with 85% time served for good behavior.) I feel he will be a changed man once released and will totally pursue other interests. Prison time will allow him to seek other venues in which to spend his money. Hopefully, he'll lay low and buy a Dairy Queen............
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or maybe he'll put together a team of prison inmates in a game against the guards. :MusicBigGrin:
  11. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Apparently the judge is a dog-lover and has pictures of dogs on his desk! Not only that, he was the first judge to hand out a sentence for dogfighting like 20 years ago or something.

Tough break.
  12. buddahfan

It appears that he is in the company of anywhere from 35 million American households to 68 million.

https://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=177303

13. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dog-owner doesn't necessarily mean dog-lover. As this saga sadly shows.
  14. buddahfan

You are correct. Look at all of the people in a relationship that are forced to own a dog because their significant other wants one.

I actually met a lady today who used to frequent the greyhound races where she grew up in Scotland.

It is still legal in the U.S. in a bunch of states.

[​IMG]

Open Directory - Sports: Greyhound Racing: Tracks: United States
  15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I definitely think Vick has been made an example of. But does the punishment fit the crime? Yes. Does Vick have anyone to blame but himself? No. Was it unbelievably stupid for someone on top of the world to engage in such reckless behavior? Yes. Does he deserve to be allowed back into the NFL? I don't know. But everyone should have a chance to redeem themselves.

The feds made an example of Martha Stewart, too.
  16. buddahfan

It seems to me that when he is set free from his incarceration that if he desires to make a comeback he should be at least given the chance to see if he can still perform at the NFL level.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Whenever a famous person is convicted of anything besides murder, people say that they are being made an example of.

Vick accepted a plea bargain and avoided a potential 5-year sentence.

He could have just taken it to jury trial, right? Good luck with that if there are any dog owners there.
  18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

It is a decent argument, I think. When famous people are convicted, the nature of the crime gains a lot of notoriety as well. I think the feds think that it will be a deterrent in the future. "If we got Vick, we can get you, too."

I watched an ESPN town-hall meeting on this and there was the usual black/white divide. Blacks thought Vick was being made an example while whites thought that the crime was pretty heinous. And then people start talking about race all over again. Nothing seems to be as polarizing as when a black athlete gets convicted of something. I just think it's unfortunate.

ESPN - Vick case has us confounded by the race issue again - NFL
  19. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

The judge should never allow that to factor into his decision. If it has. That's a miscarriage of justice whether Vick pled guilty or not.

Judges should never hand down sentences based on their personal feeling or perceived connection with the issue.
  20. buddahfan

So by that logic judge's shouldn't be allowed to be married, have a family, siblings or even have parents because then their personal feeling toward spouses, siblings, children and parents will be biased in murder cases involving spouses, siblings, children and parents and heaven forbid that they should have a picture of one of them on their desk.