Vick's sentence: 23 months

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Dumars4Ever, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I find it laughable the strtch that some people will go to make "race" the issue instead of the issue itself. I was listening to Jim Rome yesterday and he played the snippet from the Monday Night Football game where the owner made the comment about Vick staying away from fried chicken, french fries etc. while in prison to keep in shape.

There were callers complaining that the fact he mentioned fried chicken and that Vick is black; he was taking a racial shot at him. Are we in a society where a white man cannot use "fried chicken" in a black mans diet without it being a racial slam?

2. max

max All-Star

I heard the original sentance was doubled because he had a positive drug test when he checked in. He had agreed to stay clean while awaiting sentancing as part of the deal. He also lied about it.

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

"Doubled" sounds unlikely, max. The other guys who also got sentenced, all of whom had pleaded guilty before Vick and none of whom had financed the whole thing like he did, got at least 18 months each (I think) even though (as far as I know) none of them failed a drug test like Vick did. His sentence was pretty clearly going to be stiffer than theirs regardless of the drug test, but if that had led it to being doubled, it would mean he was going to get only 11 or 12 months, which doesn't seem the least bit likely.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just some perspective here,

Has anybody on this forum ever slammed a dog into the ground until it died? Or hung one with a noose? Or run an inter-state gambling operation with hundreds of thousands of dollars changing hands? Or pleaded guilty to tax evasion?

I guess if I did all that stuff, I'd be pretty relieved to get 23 months in jail.

No name people go to jail for tax evasion all the time (5-year max). And they definitely didn't get a job with their former employers when they got out.

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Vick spit on the legal system - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

:hoops:

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

I have to agree. I'm sure that if I did any of these things, I would probably spend a few years in prison too.

I also don't think this would be less of a story if it were Payton Manning instead of Micheal Vick.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

:makmiday::cheerlie-GOAL::makmiday:

8. max

max All-Star

I am only going by what I heard on the Jim Rome show. He said Vick worked out a deal to serve between 8-12 months ( minus 1 month served ). But the judge doubled it and took the high end of 24 months - 1 served given his recent conduct.

The guy ran an illegal gambling ring. I am sure at some point it dawned on him that he could get caught, kept doing it anyway.

With that. Once he pays his debt to society he should be free to do what he wants.

9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

max, that Yahoo article Buddha linked to a few posts back says this:

10. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Is it my imagination, or do Federal Prosecutors seem to be going after high profile African-Americans with a vengence these days? The list is long...Vick, Bonds, OJ, Marion Jones, Al Sharpton.

11. Delfino Delivers

Just your imagination.

12. max

max All-Star

This did take center stage over the ref scandle which kind of ticked me off. Now its still the same old same old in the NBA.

Stern should send Vick a thank you.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

NBA- ref scandal
    NFL- Vick
    MLB- Mitchell Report (w/ 20 current/ former Cubs on there!!!)
    NHL- crickets

14. Murph

I have read that it's unheard of for the Federal Government to get involved in a dog fighting case.

I also find it unusual that of the hundreds of athletes who have been implicated in the performance enhancing drug scandels, the only two who have been or are being prosecuted are Bonds and Jones (for purjury).

And while OJ is clearly a murderer, it is also clear that he was entrapped by the FBI in Vegas.

I think the moral of the story is, if you're a very high profile African-American, you'd better dot every I and cross every T in your personal and professional life, or you'll be prosecuted by the Federal Government.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah. OJ and Vick are in trouble for not dotting their i's.

16. Delfino Delivers

Or maybe it is just a numbers game. Look at the number of high profile athletes and then look at the percentage that are African-American and how many are other nationalities.

If you are fishing in a barrel with 100 bass, 10 bluegill and 2 frogs; the odds of catching a bass are pretty good!!!

17. Delfino Delivers

I hope you really don't beleive that.

18. Murph

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Somehow I don't think he could get a job with

The Humane Society of the United States

:hoops:

20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It is true to some degree. OJ aside, with the exception of maybe Pete Rose, most high profile Whites that get into trouble often have their escapades laughed off or forgotten about relatively quickly. But with individuals like Bonds and/or Vick, the general American public latches on and doesn't let go. No one has seen or heard from Dohnaghy and his scandal since the week Vick's story broke and if you bother to bring it up, you're quickly shushed into going back to the Vick story.

As far as public perception, media coverage, and complete voracity that prosecutors seem to have. The high profile Blacks have a lot more to worry about when it pertains to how their lives can turn out. If people vow to never forget or forgive you for what you've done, you may never get a second chance to do ANYTHING (even outside of sports) ever again.

Just listening to sports talk radio, I hear it all day. The overall anger and resentment towards Black athletes who have legal or personality issues is 5 fold that of what callers call in and rant about when it comes to a lot of non-Black athletes. (For example: You never hear terms like "thug" or "punk" tossed about unless it has to do with Black athletes.)