Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Mar 3, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Old timers need no introduction to VJ, but some of the younger fans might dig a look at one of the most important cogs in the Detroit Bad Boys Machine.

Vinnie Johnson was the 3rd guard for the Pistons, a player so valuable that Bad Boys coach Chuck Daly devised a 3 man rotation around Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars and Johnson, with all three subbing through the guard positions during any given game because VJ would have been a starter on many other teams, and could play both backcourt positions.

VJ was always the first man off the bench, and when hot, was nearly unstoppable on offense. He was a Seattle SuperSonics draft pick, traded to Detroit for (now FSN color man) Greg Kelser. That was 1981, the same year that Isiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer became Pistons. The beginning of a turnaround for the league laughingstock Pistons.

Danny Ainge nicknamed Johnson "The Microwave" for his ability to come off the bench and score in bunches.

VJ is an often overlooked character in a dramatic cast that included Laimbeer, Dumars, Rodman, and Thomas, but his contributions were just as significant, particularly when he nailed the go ahead basket in the 5th game of the 1990 Finals. That shot left 7 tenths of a second on the clock and made the Pistons back to back champions, erasing any doubt that their previous Finals victory over the Lakers was a fluke.
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson *video*

i was away for the weekend in canada, eh? i'll be sure to check this out, vinnie was shweet :D
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thought I should mention that VJ is (to my knowledge) the only 6th man in league history to have his jersey number retired. Pretty neat hunh?
  4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Yeah. Be nice if we would retire Rodman's number as well. He didn't go completely :loco: until he left.

It's the Worm's turn baby! :nod:
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Awww nuts! You had to go & spoil my memories of Vinnie by connecting "The Microwave" with Danny Ainge! :P

You gotta luv that jumpshot!...there'll never be another one quite like it.

Funny...I don't remember VJ having such great ups! CB must be jealous :D
  6. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Nice look at a little Pistons history. I'm assuming that the Bad Boys were where most of us older guys fell in love with the Pistons.

Funny I didn't remember Vinnie having those mad dribbling skills. I just remembered the Jumper.

And me an my friends calling "Vinnie Johnson Shot" while playing H.O.R.S.E., and trying to emulate that shot.
  7. mwatson

mwatson Second Round Draft Pick

That video brings back memories! Can you think of any player in today's league that has his game off the bench? Or heck, his physique? The dude was a tank!
  8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Another thing about Vinnie was his offensive rebounding. I swear that I never saw the guy miss a putback shot. It was like some weird videogame energy bonus that made him infallible. I watched for several years, waiting for a miss. Still waiting.