vs Atlanta Hawks Wednesday April 7 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'April 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Notable plus/minus:

Chucky +6
    CV +16
    Ben Wallace -12

2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The good thing about the recent two wins is that it increases our ping pong balls chances next season.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's only a good thing if we also get a good player out of this year's draft. Getting a high draft pick next year is not a good consolation prize for having an awful year and then winning too many games at the end of the season to get a high pick this year. :yellowprison:

4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its sad to state that Chucky a player who probably won't be on next seasons team is giving us +'s that may move us out of the real lotto pick.:yellowprison:

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Glad to see someone understanding that Gordon is far better defensive player (better that Stuckey) then is normally recognized.

You are quite right about calling out his sloppy ball handling at times. One of the problems I see, is that is has never developed an automatic cross-over dribble that comes second nature to him. He has exceptional lateral quickness and a great change of speed/directions. His problems occur when he goes on auto-pilot (usually in the 20-25 ft. range)and is thinking purely in shooting mode and doesn't keep the defender honest with his potential moves. AI (much like DWillams) always brakes the rhythmic vertical plane with lateral, mis-directional cross-overs. Makes a big difference for a PG.

Just another great write-up and I never miss one. Keep up the good analysis.

7. BillLaimbeer

What's the difference between a cross-over and a lateral, mis-directional cross-over?

8. pass99

I understand your enthusiasm, but they are hardly our core. Some big development needs to happen over the summer for Daye and Jerebko. The latter needs to understand how the 4 position works, because his future is there. Daye (the third best shooter on the club behind RIP and Bengo, but gaining) needs to develop some post moves and one-step back turn-arounds (ala McHale and Dirk) to mix easily between the 3-4 positions. The latter of course means that he must compete at these positions because, quite naturally, he would want more playing time to score. Much will depend on him and how his tweets are manufactured.

Stuckey is at his limits and this is especially so because he comes cheap and will continue to be through next year. Then the big decision. His future with the Pistons (playing time) will depend on what JD does this summer.

9. pass99

Depends on the defensive player (quick hands as most PG's have) and the game situation. Many times it occurs as second-nature and for a new-by (like Gordon) means he has to think about it. A conscious decision where he must make it happen. So my original breakdown did try to comment on the natural occurrence and one that must be learned. I used different definitions for each.

10. BillLaimbeer

Aren't all cross-overs lateral change of directions, though?

11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Sarcasm?

Gordon is absolutely not a better defensive player than Stuckey.

I wouldn't say Stuckey is anything better than average defensively (at times he can be great) but I have a hard time picking between Gordon and Bynum on this team for who lets his man blow by him more often. Couple that with their inability to contest shots, it usually results in a big night for the opposing back court.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, there are definitely holes in his game - like you said, from his propensity to look for an outside shot when on the perimeter. However, compared to Rip, Gordon is much more able to control the ball while driving to the basket (provided he does not get checked at the perimeter.) Man, I sure do miss Billups in this respect. He had guys so off balance sometimes - but of course that speed diminished some of late. Still effective though, far beyond what Gordon or Rip can do.

Stuckey can do a lot - but the problem then is his decision making once he is on the way toward the paint area.

Bynum? Maybe if he was taller, more reach, he would be more effective passer out of the paint area. But the team, for both Bynum and Stuckey should be crashing to the basket with him more to give easy dropoff ops.

Well, the team is changing as of late with Rip out. Less standing around waiting for Rip to work for a shot - and more energy toward moving to the hoop. Things are looking up for the moment, but this season as a whole is wasted.

While on the subject, my take on Kuester. I don't like excuses. The last thing on earth he had most of the season as a priority was winning games.

Then again, my take on Dumars is getting pretty darn low - letting a string of coaches make the same mistake - not expanding the rotation. Flip actually started his last season for us using an expanded rotation - but completely reverted by the time the playoffs came around and led a tired, bruised up team into the playoffs when he could have had a fresh group of players capable of going far.

Kuester had the opportunity to have a great season - but that meant playing guys like Tay light minutes that he can actually handle, playing Ben Wallace only the minutes he could handle while running hard play after play. He got the crazy notion that Kwame had to be a featured player, completely misidentifying this role player. And he went into the regular season with the notion that the rookies would not play. Bad mistake. Young, multi-talented players with tons of energy should not be left to rot on the bench. Sure, JJ got into a lot of games due to all the injuries, but meanwhile possibly two guys that might have helped us win games more readily vs. JJ sat. (Daye and Summers.) Other blunders, keeping Wilcox in the rotation long after it was obvious his back was too far gone to play effectively. Letting Atkins play a huge role - despite playing consistently losing basketball, much of the season.

A bit more of slamming Kuester. Perhaps he has learned some now. Perhaps not. He has no pressure on him to win at all at this point. No possibility to make the playoffs. He has done what his history suggests he does, lose. Early in the season, what we saw is him making plans, but forgetting any and all plans during the game. We saw him make very poor plans too.

When the pressure is again on him next season, will he again become the incompetent coach he was at the beginning of this season?

Will he shelve the younsters when everyone returns healthy for next season? And if there are injuries, will he consistently choose to let injured, ineffective vets play over promising young players? (That right there lost us a ton of games - CV, Gordon, Rip, Tay all played when it was clearly hurting the team to let them play themselves out of an injury.)

And will Kuester learn the lesson - does he even notice - that a jump shooting game promoted by Rip hurts the team? Can he keep this team on track - attacking the basket most of the time - to the point the outside shot then becomes much more uncontested and makeable? He says he is his own guy - not a clone of his mentor, Brown. Just maybe, as far as basketball strategy, he should rethink that.

13. BillLaimbeer

Good analysis of the team, Lee. I disagree about Kuester, though. I think he is a fine coach. Only time will tell, I guess.

14. pass99

If you are on a nude beach with a h**d-on and wearing trunks, it's a lot less exposing if you get rid of them.

And you had that coming.

15. pass99

Nope. None intended.

I disagree. That is intended and also was your expected response.