vs Charlotte Bobcats Friday November 5 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Let's shed some light on last night's game, shall we?

We shot 42% as a team

We allowed Charlotte (a poor offensive team) to shoot 55%

Charlotte's point guards (Augustin and Livingston) shot 6 for 8, with 9 assists

Ben Wallace lead the Pistons in assists (4)

We won this game because of Charlotte's turnovers and an usually high free throw disparity (caused by Hamilton's 11 for 11, which is a fluke).

Were we really any better last night than in any other game this season? No, we just played a team equally as bad as us.

And a McGrady/Gordon starting back court is laughable defensively and they weren't that spectacular offensively. McGrady can find the open man... guess what, so can Stuckey (and he has been).

2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Agreed, Prince can run the offense in the 2nd and 3rd if need be, but to start the game which sets the tone.... and when its money time, we need a guard who can run the game.

As much as I have been critical of players in chat.... I still think stuckey is a keeper, he just needs to stay within himself. Bynum however last night was terrible, shooting 3's? really? your a 20 percent shooter from there, your cold, you havn't played in over a week.... use your head or go sit on the bench.

Right now though, Tmac is playing the best QB on the team... but I think we need to get Stuckey back starting, but Q needs to have a quick hook with him if he varies from the game plan. We have to give him his chance this year, if he's not going to get it then we can move on next summer and get a real PG to run the team going forward.

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The take on this by one of the wisest men and brightest minds of our time.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

- Rocky Balboa​

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He wasn't really seeking them out. But at a certain point in the possession, you gotta take the best shot available. His 20% chance from deep (which is like a 30% chance from inside the arc) isn't a horrible gamble.

Rip has an eFG% of .331 when late on the shot clock for instance. And even that number incorporates a lot of possessions where we find him wide-open late on the clock. So, if you pass him the ball when he's fully guarded, then it's worse.

Also, Will was getting packed when he went to the hoop. In summary, it ain't easy being short with a bad J.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@2t4y, McGrady is a pretty good defender when he is healthy. He has basketball IQ, something sorely lacking on this team.

@TFD, Gino and Bron can shoot the trey and draw fouls with the best of them.

I agree with 2t4y, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about Stuckey missing one game.

2t4y and I might part on this. We're bad with and without Stuckey. He isn't a difference maker.

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

From multiple directions...that would make a great thread.

Nice association.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I would love to see Q grab the bull by the horns and have Stuckey come off the bench if he returns. I agree it is the best role for him. Unfortunately, getting him into this role is no easier than getting any of the 15 other guards on the roster into theirs.

Chemistry has been a problem with the Pistons for a little over 2 1/2 years now. When I read Q's comments about Silver Spoon needing to run the plays properly and read about Silver Spoon arguing with Kuester against BOS and ignoring him in ATL it makes me think that maybe everything wasn't AI's, Sheed's, Rip's or Tay's fault.

Perhaps I am jumping to conclusions, but it seems like the first time Rick Stratton was mildly and vaguely criticized he packed up and hit the road. He has certainly been coddled up to this point so maybe this was unavoidable.

The difference between the AI's, Rip and Big Ben's of the world and Joggin' Rodney is that the first group accomplished and earned somthing in the league while Stuckey has not. He has no right to have an attitude.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

It is ludicrous that a half dead T-Mac can come in here and show up the Piston perimeter players when you consider that the Pistons were built to be a perimeter team.

It is hard not to root for him especially when you hear about him trying to lead in team meetings.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree with you here slo1...we know Stuck will be back. Q has to do what he and MC urry failed to do the last season and start who is best suited for team chemistry and not who are supposedly the designated vets.... Team went down hill because Rip did not want to sit and wait two seasons ago with AI.

Start Bengo and TMac and bring in Stuckey, Bynum and Rip off the bench if he can't be moved before the trading deadline. It appears that Rip may have finally accepted his role, lets see if Stuckey can do the same instead of coming in and taking the proverbial first shot of the night.

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What's interesting is that Kuester called Stuckey's (DNPCD) and Rip's (coming off the bench) bluff, and the team won. Perhaps it had more to do with what the players decided in their team meeting, but I would think Kuester bought himself a leg to stand on. If you remember, Rip didn't vocally complain about coming off the bench behind AI until we were consistently losing while doing so. I'm interested in seeing if Coach continues to bring Rip off the bench (and Rip's reaction if he does, depending on how much we win), and whether Stuckey is going to man up and commit to running the offense and looking to create for his teammates rather than looking for his own shot first and trying to be the hero more often than not.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Rip really hasn't played a lot of minutes this year. I think people are more sick of him and it has created this image of him ruling the roost.

12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Since when does Stuckey have an attitude problem? That's quite contrary to all the things I've heard about him over the years.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Rasc, when it came time to ice the Pistons, they weren't shooting treys or looking for fouls. They took it straight to the hole.
    And none of the Pistons could stop it.

14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

It's funny how much the facts belie the general consensus on here that the team played "so much better" with McGrady then they did with Stuckey.

The team was -1 with McGrady on the floor in his 23 minutes. He had 10 points and 2 assists... but you'd think he put up 15 and 10 by the way some people talk up that performance.

I'm not saying McGrady didn't play a lot better than he looked in other games, but to pretend like he's played better than Stuckey and deserves to start over him is pretty laughable.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Are you sure you are not really Stuckey?:sssh::confused:

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I liked the TMac-Gordon backcourt to start the game. Because of the type of players those are, they give us a more versatile scoring capability. That tandem has the capability to give us a quick start and possibly an early lead. You put Stuckey and Rip in afterwards, and those two would be the BEST bench backcourt in this league. They're both big for their positions and they are both decent defenders (Stuckey more than Rip at this point).

However, I'm not yet sold on any of these changes. I think Friday's game was a fluke and coach will go back to starting Stuckey & Rip soon.

Oh, and for the record, you can't just look at the stats to gauge McGrady's impact on Friday's game. When he was on the court, we look like a different team. He's constantly telling people what to do. More importantly, he draws double-teams AND he is very quick to release the ball to the open man. When he is in the game the opposing defense focuses on him in a way they don't do for any other Piston.

PS: If Jerebko can come back from his injury, a Jerebko-Monroe tandem up front would be one hell of a pesky 4-5 combo as far as rebounding goes.

17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't like Stuckey/Hamilton together, on the bench, starting, whatever. They have no chemistry. Stuckey/Gordon has been an awesome back court combo and it was last year too.

18. Brap

Brap Starter

That's a hopeful point. If Monroe really does become a very good rebounder in this league, then adding in JJ, a stronger Daye (he will get much stronger over the years), and another player or two to provide muscle from the draft and/or trades, and we might feel a lot more comfortable about what Joe's tyring to build.