vs Charlotte Bobcats Wednesday November 11 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Watched the tape last night. What a performance.

Wallace set the tone early with TWO blocks within the 1st minute of play. He followed that up with a sweet assist to CV. He was a menace all night. He was the anchor in the decisive runs in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

CV had a great scoring night. He's got a large repertoire. Some nice post moves in the second half, too. He's still lost on D though. Can't establish position and gets pushed around. He need to exert some strength to defend the other 4s in the league. He did have two steals, but the first one was because he was too slow defensively and the ball just ended up on his lap.

Ben Gordon makes the scoring look quite effortless. However, I was really watching his play-making and his defense, and I’m pleasantly surprised. He fed CV for 4 buckets in the third quarter and looked good doing it. He fed JJ an alley-oop in the first. Defensively, he did ok as well. He was active. He also had that really hard foul on Gerald Wallace when he was going for a layup. He was strong enough to prevent the layup so it didn’t turn into an and-1. Wallace ended up missing both FTs, so it was a good foul. He’s been doing that last few games now, and I like it. Those were the kinds of fouls I wanted from Sheed, Dice, Prince, Rip etc etc last year. It’s quite refreshing to see that Gordon (and pretty much the rest of the team) subscribe to the “no-easy-buckets” mindset.

Jerebko had a good start. Defensively he was doing a good job against Gerald Wallace. He’s still hesitant and a bit lost on the offensive end though. He did make a 3. He sat down with two fouls and after he sat down, the Bobcats were able to catch up. JJ came back in towards the end of the 2nd quarter and again showed some great hustle. He’s an aggressive defender that really disrupts the flow for the player he’s defending. He was able to stay in front of his man. The Pistons keep feeding him the ball at the 3pt line, but he’s very hesitant with that long range shot. I’d rather have him bang inside. He seems to like driving to the middle and releasing that 6’ hook but it doesn’t work. The good thing is, every time he tries it, it seems to fall short the same amount. So, the shot is consistent. If he can correct it, he may be able to let that fall consistently.

This was a bad game for Daye. He scored some, and he had a nice block, but it was a bad game. Offensively, he was careless. Defensively, he was a liability. GWallace drove past him at will. He did have a block from behind on Flip Murray I think, but overall he was slow and couldn’t stay in front of his man. Also, he seems to block people flat footed. He needs to recognize that while that might have worked in college, he’s playing against NBA players now and needs to get some elevation. He is a lot more confident than JJ on the offensive end though. The opposing defense also seems to respect him more.

Summers finally saw some action last night and didn’t disappoint. He got his first bucket. He seems to be a good defender. Both 1:1 and help defense. He seems to have great court awareness when he’s on the defensive end. I’d like to see him play more.

Maxiell did his thing. They posted him up a few times in the second half. If he can get that mid-range baseline jumper to fall down consistently, it’ll be a nice treat.

Stuckey looked very comfortable when he was on the floor w/ Bynum. He also did a good job defensively at the SF spot. He did ok as the PG too. Overall, he had a very good game. His versatility, and not his PG skills, may be his biggest strength.

Kwame played a decent game. Nothing spectacular, but he did what he was supposed to do.

And finally Will Bynum! That dunk in the second quarter was nothing short of spectacular. He went over Gerald Wallace AND Tyson Chandler. It was amazing. He also had that tomahawk in garbage time. He’s a great asset. Again, he disappeared into Carlos Arroyo purgatory in a few possessions, but I can live with that.

Chuckey and Wilcox came in during GT. Chuckey was Chuckey. Wilcox totally sucked. Offensively, he missed two very easy layups, threw away a pass and had a 3 second violation. Defensively, he made CV look like DPOY. He was slow as hell. He’s the reason why Kwame fouled out. Bobcat bench players were able to dribble around him with ease and Kwame had to recover. I don’t know what kind of funk he’s in, but he’d better snap out of it soon.

Overall, great ball movement in this game. The players did make that extra pass and found the open men. Q has these youngsters headed in the right direction. It’s good to be able to say “This has got to be the best game of the season” several times with just 8 games in to the season. CV, Big Ben and Gordon didn’t play in the 4th and that’s just the way you want it. Good execution on both ends of the floor.

I’ve seen the 3-guard lineup with the following front court combos:
    · Big Ben & CV: Worked great. CV spreads the floor and Big Ben is great defensively. This was the lineup we used for the big run in the 3rd quarter. CV and BBen seem to complement each other well.
    · Max & Kwame: This didn’t work as well. Neither one can shoot that well and neither is good defensively. What’s really interesting is that our perimeter defense went down the toilet when these two were in. The Cats would drive in and Max & Kwame would collapse to clog the lane and the guards scramble when the ball is dished to the perimeter. I think instead of using the 3-guard lineup, it would be better to use Daye along with Max & Kwame and sit one of the guards.

PS: Tyson Chandler sucks. I’m so glad we didn’t get him. Nazr outplayed him last night.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Good Walt-cap!
    ...could give 356 a run for his money.

On a totally unrelated note - Weezy sucks.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He does suck.
  4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I thought that was 356 usin a different name...:stirthepot:
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Well put. :pound:
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks, but I don't have his flare for positive reinforcement.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

What happened to that guy? In Seattle he was sometimes clueless on defense, but he was quick, athletic, and could always finish. Maybe dude just gave up.