vs New Jersey Nets Saturday February 6 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons vs New Jersey Nets

Saturday February 6

7:30 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 98.7 WVMV
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I know we all get caught up in various NBA conspiracy theories at one time or another, but when you look at the 3 games in 5 nights series against NJ. Indy and again against the Nets it isn't too hard to figure out that someone in the league office doesn't like the Pistons.

The league's dislike of the Pistons becomes even clearer when you compare it to the stroll through Cupcake Alley the media darling Celtics got last week when they had to "play" Orlando, ATL and the Lakers over a 4 day period.

I'm not sure the Dream Team could handle the Pistons schedule and it just isn't fair.
  3. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

6 years ago these teams played a 7 game epic Eastern Conference Semifinals.
    Oh, how the mighty have fallen...
  4. Sara

Sara First Round Draft Pick

The circle of life, eh?
    I want to see the Lakers turn out like this seasons Nets..(:
  5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have to laugh everytime I see the Ginger Bread boy take the court for the Celtics, because he made a LIVING off that series! Everytime he touched the ball he torched us from each corner...Think Scal got a nice little contract from the then HORRID Boston Celtics.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Enjoyed watching the game, as ugly as it was.

CV can be great, and absolutely HORRIBLE.
    Ben Gordon looked sloppy.
    Tay shot an air ball.
    Max had a few good boards, and a great dunk.
    JJ showed why we all love him. Hustle, hustle, and more hustle.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We're barely better than the Nets, and that thwarts every possible goal we could possibly have.:nerd2:
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For the second time in 5 nites, the Pistons found the team they could beat, but in each case the games with the Nets went down to the wire and the Pistons had to win it crunch time >>99-92

The Pistons looked they were about to run away with it in the second qtr as they went 7 for 7 from beyond the arc including 4 for 4 from Charlie V who scored 12 pts in 6 minutes and then never scored in the game again????

As hot CV was in the 2nd qtr, JJ was even hotter going 9 for 9 for the game in 24 minutes of foul trouble. In both instances, seemed the coach wanted to taynk this game as his hottest shooters spent most of game on the bench while Tay was out there scoring his 4 points. :cold:

And what happen Bengo? After scoring 26 pts on a handful of threes last night, he all but disappeared tonight shooting only 1-5 with 5 pts.

Stuckey had a double-double with 10 pts and 11 dimes, but fell into the one-on-one mode in the third allowing the Nets to hang around. The Pistons did share the ball tonight more so than often with 29 assists. 9 in the 1st, 11 on the second 4 in the third and 5 in the 4th...Better than last night's 10 yes, but as you can see the nine in the second half just barely got us the victory.

Although JJ went 9-9 with 20 pts, we probably have to give the game ball to Max who despite leading the team with 4 turnovers, was the force there in crunch time on both offense and defense and coach probably made a great move leaving him the game instead of putting JJ back in.

No Kwame, Wilcox or Daye tonight.

For hose of you looking for another guaranteed victory, We don't get to struggle with the Nets again until March 26th and by then they will be making sure that tanking is the object to assure that they get the best shot at the most ping pong balls in case both we and the Twolves are still taynk mode.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Again, we proved we could beat the worst team in the NBA. Just barely.

It was great to see CV go 4 for 4 on triples. But NJ never failed to score if CV was in the game.

We played plenty of small ball, and of course, were negative when we did. Fortunately though, at least Kuester did not play Tay at power forward.

JJ had a perfect shooting night. When was the last time a Piston scored 20 on perfect shooting? 9 of 9. And man did JJ hustle. We got lots of points on fast breaks, and that was mostly JJ just shaming the rest of the guys to run with Stuckey. PS, like I said earlier in the season, we got to let JJ shoot the ball more. It paid off tonight as he nailed both his triple tries.

Tay played some D, handled the ball effectively, but could not shoot the ball. His highlight was a hook made off a back down.

JMAX played fine D, and added some O including a clutch jumper made late. Ben Wallace got a double double himself. JMAX and Ben Wallace combined for some serious D at the end, finally, to help us win this one. (A collision of two Nets players helped seal the deal, as they were both down hurting as we got an easy run out basket by Tay.)

Stuckey may not have shot well altogether, but I still like his game, which is chiefly attacking the basket. We just need more guys like JJ, who is willing to crash in there with him. And Stuckey did score late attacking the basket and getting to the free throw line.

Rip managed some assists and made shots. 29 assists for the team, mostly in the first half.

Ben Gordon did not do much, but his 3 was right along with CV's so it helped to give us fans a nice fireworks display to watch.

Bynum is not all the way back, but hey, he is so much better than Atkins at defense. At least the other team does not have someone in there to continually exploit. Note, most of Bynum's minutes, as well as Gordon's, were small ball, so neither is exactly being used in the best light tonight.

No Wilcox. No Kwame. No Daye. No Summers. Atkins not dressed. Pretty sure Summers was the other guy not dressed.

I scanned the minues from the boxscore. Not bad. Tay was kept to a reasonable total of minutes. Stuckey is the only guy to play 40 minutes, but that is reasonable until Bynum can handle more point guard minutes. Only problem going forward is that Kuester is likely to just play more small ball the more healthy Gordon and Bynum get.

Not a single minute of anyone playing backup small forward. Sure, we won, but small ball will beat no other team in the league.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

First of all, let's put who we were playing into some context. The Nets are 1-26 on the road this year. They have the worst start in NBA history through this point in the season. Would have been a killer for us to lose to them.

Even with all that, we seemed to bring our A- game there for a while and we just couldn't shake them. We hit our first 8 three pointers and some of them were circus-like. Bynum even hit one. Jerebko had the game of his life: he didn't miss a thing and bombed a couple 3's, grabbed boards, made hustle plays, and so on. Stuck shook off his 0 assist game and dropped 11 with only 1 turnover (that wasn't his fault... I remember it). Rip got to the line 10 times and he and Tay each had 5 assists. Ben Wallace was only 1 point from a double double and he had 4 blocks to go with it. And then Maxiell, after a very rough start turned into the incredible hulk and went on a mission in the 4th quarter.

Nobody really played poorly. Gordon didn't do much, but he didn't miss a lot of shots either, so he didn't really hurt us. But this is the disturbing part... our A- game is barely good enough to beat one of the worst teams in NBA history.

One very interesting subplot was Q's decision to go with Maxiell over JJ in crunch time. This could not have been an easy decision and I'm guessing he would have taken a lot of flack for it if it wouldn't have worked out. JJ was having a phenomenal game and Maxiell was fumbling passes and looking like a clutz out there. Then all of a sudden, Max and Humphries/Lopez got a little physical and it seemed to fire him up. The dunk came soon after, then he started flying around the court and muscling in rebounds. Q deviated from the script and rode the hot hand. It's not like either decision would have been bad, but he made the tougher one and it paid off this time. Might have won with Jerebko too, but JM did some very nice things under pressure.

My only other observation was how little PG Stuckey was playing. Even with Rip and Tay in the game, we had one of them at the top with the ball and Stuckey was playing SG... yet he still came out of this one with 11 assists. Easier to pass when the defense breaks down and it happens more often when he becomes a threat off the pass.

At least the game was extremely fun to watch, compared to some excruciating games at times this year.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Lee & Dre, thank you both for the good recaps.

Now if only we could have you two doing the commentary during the games. :)
  13. LA Dre

It would involve a live podcast with Low calling the game ala Mike Breen and Me and Lee would be Reggie Miller and Jeff Van Gumby....the rest of you all would listen to us while muting Blaha and Kelser. We would also have NYP, Kim and/or ArmyGirl chime in with sideline commentary.

Roscoe would be the in studio host..providing halftime commentary with BillLamibeer, Rax, JZ, Max etc....
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Count me in.
  15. max

max All-Star

I am not making any excuses for our Pistons but the Nets have lost a lot of close games lately. They had a 1 point lead going into the 4th in Boston the other night. Took a spectacular 3-pt shooting barrage from Eddie House to seal the win. Nets can't finish games so this was typical for them.

A win is a win. Hopefully Day will start playing soon - like around Feb 19th.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yabbut, Sheed took the switch with him to Boston. They knew they could flick it any time they wanted.
  17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nice write up from Lee and Dre with the nod toward the negative slide.

Short notes (Pistons):

Tay: Completely out of sync. He nows realizes that if he stays on the team, it will be coming-off-the-bench-time.

Ben: Nearly a double/double in 31 minutes. I'll take this every game.

JJ: Huge game and notice his comfort level around the basket. Big time summer program for this young man and someone, please get this one right.

RIP: Never in sync and almost a replication of Tay. Mental stress time and his shot was was never on.

Stuckey: For you Stuckey lovers, yes he did get some assist (11)...thank you. Brick level similar to RIP and had a terrible game (4-13). Caught in how many traps, I rather not recall. He will always be (from his current talent level) a tweener and as a front man...will never lead a championship team. As this team moves forward (and they will) it bothers me to see this playing out as another JD alter-ego syndrome.

Ben Gordon: Started the second quarter and yea, I believe he had 26 in the last game. Absolutely bazaar from Q POV. Does this guy know any psychology? Another big hint that must be provided: you must play this type of rhythm player with a minimum of 6 minutes per quarter. This is all basic stuff.

CV: Another burst expected from Q and delivered. Quick now... what does this reinforce? Yep, a mental attitude that when you go in, just be an enlightened chucker.

JMax: Well, he got the game ball, didn't he? All world tonight. Except...except he is a quarter pounder. Shows up one out of four games. Nothing of consistency to build around.

Bynum: A true PG and my...what a nice change. A jitterbug that dances to his internal tunes for the sake of well...dancing. He has absolutely no conception on the layout of the game and the nuances of flow patterns. I bet there are no set plays when he goes in. But when he does goes in, the toothpicks (via eyelids) are manually removed from the rest of the team's players.

I have quite a few Net's notes, but who cares. Perhaps a tiny one. A few camera shots from the Piston crew (nice job people) in isolation of the Net's Rod Thorn (NBA Executive of the Year, 2002) in the crowd. Fairly intense guy, I take his type any-day. Not for the elite perceptions, but in the opportunity to make your case and upon making that case, you now will be introduced to Uncle Money...but first, you best brush up on your Russian...or, is it Chinese.
  18. LA Dre

+
    Nice summary/cap Pass...Yeah the cameras picked up Rod Thorn showing his frustration at his pathetic teams' collapse in the last two minutes and how it appeared he was cursing when Devin Harris and Jarvis Hayes were laid on out on the floor for five minutes. At least he knows his chances for the top three pick are probably secure.

I know Joe has a seat up at the top, but either he is not at the games anymore or he has instructed the camera folks not show him in his frustrated mode. I would love to see him so we can read his lips as he throws out F bombs, when he sees taynking dribbling the clock down... Then again, maybe he doesn't want the cameras showing him giving hi-fives to his assistant or fist pumps every time we get blown off the court/:sssh:
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

If there is red lights for me, then it is. Almost everyone assumed that healthy team, is .500 team and with their A game they even can surprise contenders, but...:ohwell:
  20. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I'm with you on this one.

:cheers: