vs Orlando Magic Sunday January 31 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Deleted the 3PMA column and found that we gonna be winner of the game. Go Pistons.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

At this point it appears that JJ has a more positive impact on the game than CV...

[​IMG]

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First of all, the Pistons purposely tanked this game. Anyone even thinking about buying any Piston tickets from here on out know this for sure - you ain't going to see a win.

The Pistons are not planning on winning any games. This one, they could have won for sure. We had them shut down pretty much, and we were getting so many offensive boards they could not keep us from scoring. JJ was the offensive board wizard tonight. Forget the stats, that only show the bounds. JJ was on the offensive glass constantly with us getting the ball back as a result of his fighting for the ball - or them fouling JJ to keep him from getting the board.

Now remember, the coach had no intention of winning this game. Just to make you understand why the coach pulled JJ and went small ball most of the 4th quarter. It was just to ensure we lost. Now, somehow, Tay accidentily hit a three there, like the first three he has made in decades or so, to make the game close at the end. But that was just a mistake. Gordon later made sure his shot missed by a mile. No chances on that one.

We finished the game with Tay at power forward, Rip at small forward, Gordon and Stuckey in the backcourt. Ben Wallace at center. And remember all those offensive boards I mentioned? Of course that stopped altogether.

Ok, the Pistons got like 16 behind, and used a powerful defensive run lasting a quarter and a half, from mid 2nd to most of the 3rd quarter to take a 7 point lead. From there, Chucky comes in. Lead gone soon. And then small ball the rest of the game. Pathetic coaching, if you actually believe it was coaching vs. throwing the game.

With CV out, that is one sorry defender not playing, which really helped. (especially since he is injured. Back spasms often result when a guy plays too much with PF - since the feet are your shock absorbers, and with PF, your shock absorbers are not working - no spring in the arch) Plus JJ is just so much more active on the baords and defense its not funny.

With CV out, we went with a pairing of Wilcox and JMAX for quite a while. And it worked quite well, go figure. Just like it has since the preseason - which is of course why we never see this pairing. Tanking the season just does not go with playing guys who work well together. Of course, Wilcox did not play in the 2nd half. Can't use anything that works. I mean, Orlando was so bad that if the coach did anything right at all we win this game.

Stuckey, got to love his game. Get to the basket, draw fouls. Make the free throws.

Rip, got to hate his game. Jump shooting us out of games. Gordon made some shots, but missed a ton. But he is injured. Probably in on the tanking thing.

Tay's knee ain't right. He was limping quite a bit.

JMAX and Ben Wallace played the D. Both gave some O too. Ben has that reverse layup down well. He added a little floater to his repertoire tonight. Looks like he must really be working on his offensive game. Somebody is coaching him well. We just did great keeping Howard too far out from the basket to be effective against us. (Wallace and JMAX.)

Of note, Hill was up on the sidelines toward the end of the game like he was the head coach, with Kuester up too. Just seemed Hill was directing things. Kind of odd.

Sorry, I really hate to be the bearer of bad news. Your team tanking the season? Pretty bad. I have seen the Pistons do terrible in past years. But never have I seen them tank it. Ugly. I can't blame anyone from just tuning out from here on in. Me, I will keep watching, and keep writing the games up for now. In the vain hope that this nonsense will stop. The Pistons have a very good team, one that can absolutely turn it around. What the heck good is another draft pick going to do. With our record for not developing young players? It makes no sense. The Pistons organization should be ashamed for doing this.

4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee, you are not uncovering anything that teams haven't been doing in the NBA for years. At some point, it is better to lose than to win with a view to the draft. The NBA draft is structured such that the key players are gone after the first couple of picks. The league is structured around 15 or so top players who could possibly lead their teams to a ship. The other players are second tier stars, third tier players and role players. But really, past the small select group of 15 or so, EVERY player is a role player. The Cavs are le Bron and 11 role players. The Magic are Howard and 11 role players, etc. Yes, it is more complex than this but not too much more.

Yes, I see some things going on. It is far subtler than you describe. I hope that the Pistons have a good pick this year and so do most fans I would imagine because the Pistons need one of those top players either by trade or through the draft.

Believe it or not, Sheed was that player during the run, Sheed and Ben, who was a monumental exception to the NBA draft.

I posed the question of whether or not to "tank" (I don't like that word) a while back on the other board as the Pistons injuries piled up.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why did you not post this on the other board, Pease do, it would be helpful over there. Have a good night.

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I didn't post on the other board because I thought it would raise a howl and give fuel to the many trolls on that board.

I understand your feelings but I, personally, am ok with the losses at this point in the season with the idea that a top pick is likely.

7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

when my shoulder gets better, i will be the warrior youve known and loved......more known than love that is...:MusicBigGrin:

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

My medical knowledge may be lacking, so...please explain to me how injured shoulders are connected with struggle to follow tayking Pistons? :crutch::stupid:

Your weak shoulders cannot carry losing burden?

9. max

max All-Star

I do believe they are still trying to win. Just that the chemistry and coaching is that bad.

There are too many guys playing the same positions and with the injuries and whatnot no set rotations have been developed.

Keuster may be ok if he did not have so many choices. Like in Carlisle's 2 years the only real choice he had was at SF and he always chose Curry until he had no other choice. I don't know what another coach would do given this rag tag team where anyone can play whatever position and no ones really been standing out on a consistent basis. Except for some of the rookies and then the vets come back.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And we outhustled and outworked them.... thank goodness we were able to mainatain our focus and LOSE!!! Especially on a night where Philly won, now if only these stupid Pacers would get their act together......
    Evan Turner, 19pts/8asts/4stls....Motta actually has this silky smooth 6'7" baller running the point, and boy is he running it!!! Not a pure pt, but has solid handles, keeps his head up, has excellent court sense, and gives up the rock in a hurry...things that The Quintessential One is completely clueless about!

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's February, isn't it? :MusicBigGrin:

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Indeed it is...indeed it is. I've watched objectively and held off on the criticism for a month, now The Quintessential One is fair game!

13. Brap

Brap Starter

There have been two very good signs from individual players over the last few weeks - inside of a season of awfulness because of all the injuries.

1) Stuckey's play as a PG has improved a lot -very noticeably actually. He's been getting the ball to the "right" players much more consistently. The fact that guys like Rip, Tay and Gordon are missing such a high percentage of those shots isn't Stuckey's fault. That's a function of the injuries and being out of sync - but the fact remains that Stuckey really seems to be getting it. Also he continues to be the best player on our team most games EXCEPT when he plays a deferential passive game.

2) Jerebko is playing great. We all know about his hustle and how great he is moving his feet on D. The kid is a completely underrated athlete. His agility is top-notch. Kander tested him this summer and he was totally off the charts on his strange tests that measure all sorts of things ordinary human beings have no words for. But I also love the rest of his developing game. He's got tons of ability with the ball in his hands - driving, passing, shooting, cutting hard into the lane either to rebound or to make tough catches in the lane and finish. I don't know where his upside stops, but he's starting to remind me of a young Rodman with much more innate offensive ability. He's really got a little bit of Ginobli's game in him. Could he ever be that good? Doubtful - Ginobli is a HOF talent - but he flashes some serious ability almost on a nightly basis.

In the "I can be patient" department, I'm really looking forward to Daye and Summers getting worked into the mix.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the idiot coach would have an easier time of "developing" the young players if Dumards didn't draft 4 players who all play the same position last year.

It's like he's building Noah's Ark.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Was improving our draft position really worth letting Gumby coach the All-Star game?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4875825
    :rolleyes:

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ummmmm.....NO! Handles,Suspect. Court sense=NONE! Consistency.....Yeah Right. Floor General? In who's Army.... Stuck is young, strong, athletic, and can get to the hoop, but HE CAN NOT RUN AN OFFENSE, unfortunately the mental part of the game does not come easy enough for him. When Rodney Thinks, He Stinks. Rodney can not run the offense without thinking too much. When Rodney just plays, AWESOME BABY!! With a capital "A"! He's a combo-scoring guard that still needs to develop a consistent outside shot. Can we get by with him at the point? Maybe, IF we put the right talent around him; say Evan Turner........I'm jus' sayin'......

17. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey just needs talented guys around him who convert plays. When his shooters hit shots (and he's playing with shooters, finally, after all these injuries), he's looked really good. He's not Rondo creative, but he's playing really well and doing all those things you are saying he can't or doesn't do - all of them. So I disagree with anyone having that assessment. Yeah - he needs seasoning as our PG. He needs to play with talented offensive players long enough to develop chemistry, and the injuries have blown both elements of that equation to bits. (He's just starting to get his talented teammates back, and not only are they not in sync as a team, the guys coming back are missing shots they've consistently made in their sleep their whole careers.) We need the second half of the season with everyone healthy to fully evaluate everyone together, and to evaluate Stuckey's progress as a PG, but I like what I've been seeing from him, lately, in that regard.

Sorry, I just can't join the "Stuckey ain't a pg" bandwagon. I think he's going to be as good as Chauncey at that aspect of the game before his career is over.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Nipsey Russell couldn't have said it better. :pound:

[​IMG]

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I also see more of an effort to seek the open man... this will only get better as he understands the sweet spots and reading defenses.

I don't believe RS does an adequate job of quickly recognizing a double... he needs to dish it earlier... this looks like it relates to something KG was saying about him dribbling with his head down.
    He can also do a better job of dumping the ball to his bigs once he breaks down the D (which he's very good).

Certainly RS has his flaws at the position... as does most young PGs coming in... I'm not sure where this perfect guard is going to come from.

20. Brap

Brap Starter

The perfect guards retired. They were wearing Magic's and Isiah's jerseys.