vs Philadelphia 76ers Sunday November 8 1:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

After reviewing the last game (again), I thought I would comment about Stuckey, since I see a couple of other people have. First, note that Stuckey was playing small forward in crunch time, and doing a fine job guarding Iggy. Stuckey at small forward is something we have seen from the start of preseason, and has increased a lot as of late.

2nd, that 5-15 was not a bad 5-15 at all. Most of his misses were on drives to the basket. Sometimes he got fouled. Sometimes his scrambling of their defense meant we got the offensive rebound and the score. Even when he misses, it takes the other team a heck of a lot of energy to defend his shot and collect the rebound. Stuckey got 13 points on 15 shot attempts, not that bad a ratio, and for certain, the type of shots he is taking should continually be taken.

Yes, I like a lot the fact that Jerebko and Daye got lots of minutes in this last game, so its not like Stuckey is the only guy playing small forward minutes. (He had played a ton of minutes at small forward the first game Tay was out.) Pretty good mix in the Philly game. I would like to see Gordon and Stuckey play a bit less overall though with Daye getting guard minutes - to see if we can't make hay posting him up vs. smaller guards.

While on the subject, we went on a 16-6 run after falling back by 4 points to win this one. CV and Gordon scored at least 12 of those 16.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I noticed that effect too with Stuckey. Once he's past his man, the defending bigs have to help out and it frees up our bigs to get the rebounds. A fair amount of Stuckey's misses get recycled. Also, he rebounds really well for a guard when he gets in the paint, sometimes grabbing his own miss.

As far as his efficiency, you are basically pointing out the value of the Total Shooting % stat, which I think it really valuable.
  3. SJAndre

SJAndre Second Round Draft Pick

i might be wrong...but isn't 13 points/15 shots absolutely horrible?
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Naw, not really, if a guy can manufacture a point for every shot they take, it's a pretty decent night, over a point per shot and you're Kobe territory, if Stuck had hit one more shot then it'd have been a pretty good night.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That's a good observation K-G.
    If Ronald Dupree coulda manufactured shots in crunch time like ben, we'd have at least one more 'ship to talk about.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's the equivalent of a .433 effective shooting percentage if he had done it with no free throws.

You're right that it's not a good long term average to have, but Lee was just pointing out that it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

Some of the league leaders have a very high TS%. Chris Paul is sitting on .740 right now!!! That can't last as I think it would be the all time record for a player with significant minutes. His career average is .573.

Stuckey is clearly not efficient yet as many here have pointed out. He misses a lot of jump shots, forces layups, and gets blocked a lot in the paint. But he also scores in a very aggressive way, which is a nice change of pace for us.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. The young guys should get in the pain. No pain, no gain!!!! :pound::pound::pound:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tay and Rip got in the pain, and look what happened to them!
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Finally finished watching the game this morning. Like the way the Pistons controlled the tempo and then buckled down on the D once the sixers went ahead briefly at about 6 min mark. The run at the end was masterful as we would have lost this game last year with Curry calling time outs at the wrong moment, etc..

3-4 record not bad considering Rip has only played in one. I am thinking we would be at least 5-2 with him....

The longer he stays out though the harder it will be for him get back in the chemical make up of the team. I expect a couple of games of adjustment though when he comes back.