vs Phoenix Suns Saturday January 22 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ernie, this is what a few of us have been pointing out. If Stuckey is not a point guard as many now believe, some of those same reasons is why he is questionable as a first string two. You have to have a certain skill set for the two and shooting the ball is high on the list. I am very concerned that Joe is being stubborn and is committed to signing Stuckey to a big contract without considering his performances.

Now three games is not the biggest sample. And he will have good games too. But even one good game, one bad game will help to produce a .500 ball club. I don't understand why fans have gotten down on so many the top Piston players during that incredible run, Tay, Billips, etc., but do not give Stuckey's game anywhere near the same scrutiny. Let the facts of the games speak.
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

LOL... you're kidding right? Stuckey is easily the most scrutinized Piston (not just on this board) and the player that divides the fanbase perhaps more than any other. I can't believe someone would say that Stuckey's game doesn't get scrutinized. Stuckey gets ripped to shreds, even when he plays pretty well.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

2 Tough,

I have seen games where Stuckey loses the ball, charges more than once, misses key shots and fans will write he played well. If Rip or Billips, in the past, were to shoot 3-15, fans would be all over them for losing or almost losing the game. How many times did Rip or Billips have 3 bad shooting games in a row...

The the point really is that Joe will have to make a crucial decision on whether or not to offer him a key contract. I get the sneaking notion that Joe already is prepared to go out on the limb for Stuckey. That decision should be based on his performances this year alone and no longer on some supposed potential.

The decision should also be based on his skill set for the position. Most see that TMAC is doing a better job at the point and TMac is not really a point. Bynam was an ill-advised contract by Joe. He is not a point either and too small on the defensive side anyway.

But if Stuckey is going to be the starting two, he has to have a fairly broad skill set. That little jumper from the wing has to be routine. A drive to the basket other than a straight line where he has a chance to get to the line and not get a charge also. A floater in the lane like the one missed at the end of the game the other day should be routine. Closing out on a three ball shooter routine. Boarding routine. These are some of the basic things that top NBA players do at the position.

Stuckey's play should be looked at over the balance of the season. This should be his break out year but so far, that has not been happening with any regularity.
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Chauncey has shot under 40% in 4 separate seasons, and is consistently in the low 40%. It's fair to say he had his fair share of poor shooting stretches. In particular, he had about 3 straight years of very poor outings in the ECF (some people like to forget these things).

(Not saying Stuckey didn't suck, but people act like he's the first player we've ever had that has a couple bad games in a row)
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Right, Billups struggled in the Conference Finals. Stuckey still struggles to recognize what the Wizzards are doing defensively on a random Tuesday in November. That seems like a big difference to me.

Billups, AI, Rip and their 20 some odd All Star births have been shipped out to make room for Stuckey and his 15ppg average. I wouldn't count on Dumars exercising good judgment when the time comes for a new contract.
  6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

QFT! Ouch...It sounds so harsh when you put it like that, but you are so correct.

Who's going to get the better contract this off-season, Stuckey or Jamal Crawford?
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's pretty funny.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:hail:
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Ain't that the truth...