vs San Antonio Spurs Sunday February 21 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons vs San Antonio Spurs

Sunday February 21

6:00 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. roscoe36

3. roscoe36

The Franchise is killing me. Doesn't have enough gas to make his free throws.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tay's got muscles now... when did that happen?

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He's been working out with Mark McGuire...

6. roscoe36

Kuester absolutely gutless with the lead, playing not to lose.

Ben was furious he got pulled out of the game, and gave Kuester a piece of his mind.

These are the decisions that if the game becomes a loss, will cost the coach his players' trust.

7. roscoe36

The Franchise choked in the 4th and came up big in OT.

I have never seen an OT tipoff with one team up by 1 pt.

8. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

That whole deal made no sense to me. Kuester left him in there to be fouled on 5 consecutive possessions I believe, and then with 5 eligible seconds left for the Spurs to foul Ben, he is pulled.

:nerd2:

If you were going to sit the guy, wouldn't you want to do it after then 2nd foul or so?

As a sidebar, I have never seen the hack-a-whoever strategy actually result in a win for the hacking team. This is probably the closest that strategy has ever come to winning a game. Pop seems to believe in it though.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This game was close and when I say close I mean it was tied at the end of one, tied at half time, the Pistons had a two point lead at the end of three and much to the Pistons fans chagrin it was tied at the end of 4....well for awhile until the Spurs started OT with a one point lead courtesy of a tech on bone head Rip Hamilton.

We would probably have another tie as we all would have to vote who was the bonehead of the game Rip or Coach Q if the Pistons had lost this game....I mean if there ever was a suspicion that the Pistons were Taynking, it almost occurred in this game.

As I mentioned, the game was close and Pistons blew nice leads in the first, 3rd and 4th quarters letting the Spurs back in it each time.

The worst was the 4th when the Pistons appeared to be coasting to a victory 87-76 lead with about just under 5 mins left. But then coach Pop sensing an upset victory by the Pistons turned this into a playoff game and decided to employ the hack-a-Ben strategy. It seemed silly at first, but the Spurs are currently in the seventh spot out west and there is a possibility that they will miss the playoffs too just like our Pistons, so they needed this one more than we did.

Pop had Ben fouled on the next five Piston offensive possessions and Ben being Ben hit 4 out of 10 FT shots. Meanwhile, Genobli scored the final Spurs nine points of regulation to even the game a 93.

Why Coach Kuester refused to pull Ben until the about 2 mins and 5 seconds left made no sense??? Even Ben was mad after being yanked then. He should have been taken out after the first time he was fouled. After all leaving him in did not do any good as the Spurs still scored on each possession despite Ben being in there on the defensive end.

Well to top off Ben being pulled, Rip was put back in to replace him and he quickly made two bone head fouls on the master manipulator Manu and was assessed a tech to begin the OT.

Some nice clutch shots by Stuckey and Prince in OT and then some key FT's by Rip and Gordon secured a victory and took Coach Kuester off the hot seat.

Final Pistons 109, Spurs 101

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hey, I am ecstatic. Kuester actually used a backup small forward, for the first time this season when Tay played. And we did very well with JJ at small forward. Go figure. Hey he played starting small forward for us during that 5 game winning streak we had. Of course he can play small forward.0

Just maybe somebody decided to let the team win some games. If Kuester continues to actually use small forwards to backup Tay, we will win plenty. This is really big news.

Now, lots to write up in this one. First of all, shame on Ben Wallace about not caring about the team. Terrible childish antics from him. Yes, you must sit if you are hurting the team. And shame on Kuester for letting Ben Wallace stay in the game for a full minute as they hacked Ben Wallace to send him to the line over and over again. We had a ten point lead wiped out most of the way with virtually no time ran off the clock because Kuester did not pull Ben Wallace when he should have. At least we got the win. But Ben Wallace really, truly disappointed me tonight. Kuester, he is a rookie so I don't expect any better from him really.

Did the team get together and decide its ok to win some games. Or is this something Kuester did without permission from the team. Maybe its a one game thing that Kuester will be soundly beaten for outback the woodshed. I certainly hope what happened to night keeps happening. Play the guys who can win the game. Forget about who gets minutes.

Rip hit a lot of shots early. When he went a bit cold, Gordon heated up. Just like it should work. And Bynum, Gordon, JJ, CV, and JMAX played a good long stretch to open the 4th quarter. No sign of minutes being sacred for Rip or Tay. I love that. Just maybe, hopefully, somebody decided to be team players.

Stuckey made some clutch shots, including a triple. The Pistons owned the offensive glass. JJ had double digit rebound game. Yes, we did play some small ball. Perhaps too much. But at least we also played a lot of the game with a small forward in there. Tay did play some power forward, so you can't just look at the boxscore on this one. But I imagine that we had a small forward in there for at least 42 mintues of regulation. (We went with 4 guards in OT, Tay at power forward.)

Bynum did nothing spectacular, just ran the offense ok and played good enough D.

Tay did so so for the game. Rip is at about 47 straight free throws or so. Somewhere around there. JMAX and Ben Wallace just mostly played D. Ben Wallace set lots of good screens. (nothing new of course.) CV did not shoot a whole lot. His defense was adequate.

Wilcox, Summers, Atkins, Kwame, and Daye did not play.

Again, the big news. We actually used a backup small forward. Just maybe we are going to start doing that so we can see some wins. The playoffs are still in reach.

11. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Why are you giving stuckey such a hard time Ros, the guy plays hard every nite and gives it everything that he's got. 2 years into the rebuilding process and you are already sulking, c'mon you're better than that.
    No offense but I think we as fans can be a little more patient after having 6 consecutive years of elite basketball. It is a process Rome was not built in one day. I can't think of one franchise who has had prolonged success go without years of futility. I.e. Celtics post Bird, Bulls post Jordan (the 2nd time), Pistons post back to back titles, Lakers post Showtime, etc. To be honest with you this season has been enjoyable in that we get to see a new product get created before our very eyes. Moves here and there that eventually will turn us into a new contender for years to come which is Joe's vision. With the possibility of a high draft pick, trades, and more familiarity with the system I cant see why more of us aren't excited about the future. Lets practice a little patience and enjoy the ride!!!!

Btw, if we could do Joe's job than one of us would have Joe's job. Let the man do what he does. I DONT KNOW OF ANYONE IN HERE who has the ability to do what he's done with this franchise. You have a plethora of gm's in the league who have been at this for years and their teams cant get past the 2nd round. We all need to settle down and slow our roll. Just a humble opinion from a non-expert nobody.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

But what did Joe do exactly? Hammonds was there, right along side Joe Dumars. Who gets credit for what? And since Hammonds left - what has Joe Dumars done right?

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Joe makes all final decisions... he gets the credit.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Got to sound the buzzer on that one. Nope, the owner made the final decisions. If you believe you know who had the ear of the owner, you must be in pretty tight with the Pistons.

15. max

max All-Star

One thing I have learned about Ben Wallace since 05 is that he is a very sensitive guy. If you want him to work on the defensive end then you have to put up with him thinking that his offensive game is "average".

When did the Spurs become such punks? Not only the hacking but all the flopping. I don't blame Rip for losing it. At lease someone is showing some emotion.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Pop actually used hack a shaq alot... so not anything new for them.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I do blame Rip for throwing the elbow. I do blame Rip for not keeping his cool in crunch time. He atoned for a lot of that when he made that clutch 3 point play, but good thing he did or my writeup would have put him in a really, really bad light.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

So you're thinking Bill Davidson made personel decisions?... the only thing he cared about was winning and saving $'s... he was far from an expert in talent decisions... Mr. D was the anti Cuban....
    The hate is a litttle overboard here.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Can't say I agree much about what you are writing. Mr. D made all the final decisions. I do not get the hate comment though. Care to explain that one?

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Purrs are our mortal enemies, that's why we took this one. Expect the losing to continue.