vs Washington Wizards Sunday March 6 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'March 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree TaS....no matter if Tmac is the perceived leader of the so called mutiny or not, you can't just sit him without providing a bona fide reason why??? Otherwise he could been delt to a contender before the trading deadline.

We know the coach is a lame duck and maybe Joe too in the long run... but even if we were to clear some additional cap space in the near future what free agents would want to come play in Detroit seeing how they treat players here ?? As the national sports pundits say "its a mess there in Detroit..not just the players but it starts at the top with the absentee ownership, hands-tied GM, and the coaches and assistants that don't have a clue as to what to do with this team..
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Short sighted indeed.
    We're not talking about a major deal here. Just a simple vet minimum player for a draft pick. It would have added nothing to the budget while adding an asset for the future.

The Tay for Butler "no deal" leaves a sour taste in my mouth. To try to spin it into "We'll get more for Tay this summer in a sign and trade" is complete nonsense. I know that Joe overvalues his '04 guys but c'mon!
    Why would a team overpay for Tay AND send us a pick when they could simply sign him as a FA for market value???

...and not Trading T-Mac when he was a "tradeable asset" is absolute buffoonery! Trading Tracy should have been the plan since the first day of training camp. Even when he was running the team like the 2nd coming of Mark Jackson, Joe STILL should have been shopping him for future assets.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can buy the "hands tied" argument for major trades that would add to the payroll, but these are minor things that the GM just needs to do. If he can't do this and he's not arbitrating the mutinies, then why does he even show up to work anymore? What is he actually doing when he gets there?
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

[​IMG]
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This one I can potentially understand. With a lot of teams capped out, the most Tay could sign for would be the MLE. I think Tay's market value exceeds that. With a sign and trade, we could possibly get a reasonable asset/pick back for facilitating a deal to a team that otherwise couldn't sign him. If that doesn't work out, he's off our books and we're out a draft pick from the end of the first round (i.e. a guaranteed contract) of a supposedly weak draft. I don't think it's a pie-in-the-sky dream that something like that could happen.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I can see him being under orders that he can't add debt to the team and a late first rounder is just that... we have so many young players fighting for mins now, the chances of another young player (minus a lottery pick, thats a different ballgame) coming in here and doing anything but getting paid is probably far fetched.

Sell the stupid team already so we can get on with doing things to improve the game without having to worry about 3 non basketball related things..... sigh
  7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

If you're a coach in the hot seat, and you have a guy that is openly defying you and not playing with the intensity you want to see from the young guys that are, what would you do if your GM comes to you and says that you have to keep giving that guy playing time over the players that you feel have earned it? How does that look to the team if you keep telling them "the guys that work the hardest will play," but then you play a player that has a history of being a lazy worker?

Look, we all know that Keuster is probably a longshot to continue next year, but if your the GM, you just can't tell the coach to play the guys you want him to play (at least, you shouldn't). It's HIS job to decide the rotations of players, not yours. A good GM hires coaches that are of a like mind to him, so that this type of crap doesn't happen.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying that Kuester should play TMac. I'm saying that Joe Dumars should have traded TMac instead of just letting his contract expire. We're paying the guy the minimum and he's outplaying $12M/year players. His trade value as a rental for a contender was as good as it could be. Joe gambled on an injured star and it would have paid off for us if he would have capitalized on his good fortune.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What he said!....

If the Mac is not working out to standards, or exhibiting laziness, you could have just released him in time for him to sign with another team so that he can either be their problem or their savior. At this point, it appears that he might become this years version of AI, with only difference being that AI was able to sit at home and host parties, where TMac is forced to show up and sit on the bench every game and watch like you and I..

By the way is it time to start the TMac appreciation thread?
  10. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Grossly overpay him like we did with Gordon and Villanueva?

But I'll say this, we shouldn't jump on Joe's back about not trading T-Mac. There really isn't a market for him. VET FA's don't get traded, they get cut. There is absolutely no incentive for a team to give up a 1st for a player they'll have no advantage in signing the next year. Maybe you could get a late 2nd rounder, but what's the value in that? I literally believe there has never been any VET FA dealt for a pick in recent NBA history. There is not a contender in the league that thinks their playoff success depends on whether or not they added T-Mac. Let's not overvalue the guy.

The bigger reason to get on Joe D is why we signed him in the first place. The Pistons were never a playoff team, why willingly take minutes away from your young players? To resurrect T-Mac's career to sign elsewhere next season?
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

fire Q and hire a competent guy? Well...show me a competent coach who wants to sort out this mess what GM has created...?

Tis mess is for junior coaches - learning pains so to speak.

I do not foresee a "new larry brown" stepping into Dumars office til this teams shows real promise on the court, not only in Silvertongue's propaganda.
  12. coynejeremy

Gotta agree with this.
  13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is true. There might be a better perception that a couple of extra million (regarding eventual cap space) will become extremely important after the new CBA. Remember now, it is all about money. Why blow this on a pick that will be exceptionally marginal. In a sense it best be to blow-it-off and be content with a higher second round pick. This of course begs the question: what type of team are you putting together and with what style of magnificence.

I have some Florida land for you.

With this group of Contracts, there will be no trading up. Oh damn! I forgot, we got rid of Kwame.
  14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I don't understand how T-Mac can go from a front page story on ESPN on how his experience and leadership was turning this team around to DNP-CD's??

Did he all of a sudden stop trying after the "mutiny"??

I just don't understand how you fall so far so quickly.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I have a hunch that we're not getting the full story.

or

Rodney Stuckey has been given yet another "fresh start".
    (Collider has been bawllin' lately!)
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My only guess is that TMac had an integral part in the mutiny and Kuester is making him pay. I think Rip came to Kuester and apologized and that at least got him back on the floor.
  17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

TMac is the last player with good motivation, as it has been said somewhere here: rebelling lowers the price and to nip the bud - from upper floor were given orders to play Rip.

TMac is expendable but mrs Davidson does not care: she wants money.
  18. coynejeremy

I would just like to point out that everything you just said came from fan speculation.

Carry on...
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

that's why I'm distancing myself from this statement: "as it has been said..."

you know, I'm not a provocator but I want to see blood :flame::pop2:
  20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Is that why Stuckey got the shaft tonight after playing arguably the best ball of his career?