Walter Sharpe is the 1st pick---DJW traded

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jun 26, 2008.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons braintrust didn't put a lot of mileage into the draft. That was expected. We are drafting too low. And, we need a player of immediate impact. We have plenty of youngs to work in: Afflalo, Amir, etc.

Stuckey hasn't played a full year and would be a top five pick this year. Is Stuckey better than Rose?

Dre, I too wondered about Roberts.

Joe will make his noise via trade which is what many of us expect--that is--if he can get players that are not "mediocre" to use Joe's own word.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree with everything but one thing. Pistons' braintrust did think through the draft to come to a conclusion that there wasn't anyone worth a guaranteed 3-year contract.
  3. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

This makes absolutely no sense what so ever, we pass on a guy like DeAndre Jordan, for a who? and a what? that wern't on any mock drafts, or ever heard of before we decided to trade for them....
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I talked to my godson Julyan last night about Walter Sharp. He said that "He is a baaaaad boy". They are in the same conference, and during scouting sessions, he is the guy that gets a lot of tape time because he is dead eye deadly.

I was totally peeved until talked to Julyan who called to let me know that this guy is a sleeper and the only reason he played at UAB instead of Memphis is because of Coach Davis persistence.

I think we may have gotten another diamond in the rough.
  5. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

May I remind that Darko was a workout stud? From what I remember he impressed a lot of people. Hell even Cleveland considered the guy.

I guess we'll seem him play in Las Vegas, but not be on the roster.
  6. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

We skipped on CDR twice. :hanged2:
  7. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I wanted a SF who could go strong to the hoop. Instead we get a PF who can go strong to the pillow.

This pick scares me cause Joe was so high on Darko. I liked the idea of having 3 instead of 2 picks and not paying somebody who may be a scrub...........but this.....

There MUST be a big deal in the works coming up soon. Gotta be patient.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You guys are on a roll today. Funny stuff.
  9. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

This is the best comment I've ever read on this forum :pound::pound::pound:
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Pleassssssse. Let's have patience fellas.

I remember last year, there were the same negative comments about Afflalo. I can just play the tape, same comments a different year.

The same ones who castrated his name last year were thankfully the same ones who began to give him praise mid season.

I wanted CDR also, however, like someone here said, we are not the scouts who have been following this guy.

It is not Joe's M.O. to just pick up a bad character guy, evidently, it was something there. You never know what some of these kids had to endure.

I would recommend watching the movie "Pride" with Terrance Howard.

I am soooooo glad that no one gave up on me or my brothers, and we were some bad ass kids growing up in the inner city of Detroit. Some of the stuff we done would make Sharpe look like the second coming of Ghandi.

I am almost absolutely sure that some of my fellow forumites have done some shiggetty but just ain't saying what it is, either you got caught, overcame it and moved on, or you could be posting from prison for all we know.

Let's not judge this young man so harshly when we haven't even heard him speak or play basketball.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I thought that was Brandon Inge...oh wait, he's the guy who goes TOO strong to the pillow!
  12. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Let's not judge this young man so harshly when we haven't even heard him speak or play basketball

Well said, armygirl.

I too wanted a familiar name. A name held in high regard on the mocks that I saw everyday. Heck, I wouldn't fault Joe for drafting DJ White. But no, he did the savvy thing, traded to the second round where he could get another pick and to screen the players he would draft.

Those who have followed Detroit basketball know that Joe has always been high on his picks. Yes, high on Darko, Rodney White, Mateen Cleaves.

So was he on Stuckey, Afflalo, Maxiell, Amir.

We'll leave the verdict to when we hoist the trophy at the end of this coming season.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I guess I'm a little more optimistic than some peeps in here (which is pretty weird because I'm usually a total cynic!).

The way I see it, we already have two "DJ Whites" in J-Max & Amir.

Trading down a few spots for an additional pick seems like a good idea to me (no guaranteed contracts, more cap space to sign vets, a higher percentage of getting a solid player with the extra pick).

As for the bigger named cats that Joe passed up; the league is FULL of big name college guys that never did anything at the next level. I'll hold my judgement until dudes like Joey Dorsey, CDR and DeVon Hardin are putting up double doubles every night.
  14. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I was mortified when they picked DJ White and was hoping it was for another team. He is JMAX, but a better rebounder. We needed a SF or a true C. Hopefully Sharpe is the athletic wing we have been hoping for. If not we can cut him and not lose any cap space.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Call me crazy, but Joe is now acting like the Pistons are the 6 time defending world champs without a weakness in sight. With a chance to improve and with glaring holes, he opted to save money. Money that can't be spent on free agents, money that can't be included in deadline deals when teams are giving valuable pieces away for contracts. This is how they ended up with Juan Dixon at the deadline last year instead of fortifying the vulnerabilities of the team. This is how they end up sitting at home watching teams they could beat continue to play.

Let's be patient and talk about this mystery trade that is going to come save the day. They almost have to lose 2 rotation players, if not 2 starters, to get an impact player back. Did any of these picks help offset these losses or will they have just traded one shortcoming for another? Maybe Joe feels the Celtics are so good that they can't compete for the title anymore and he's now focusing on building a Euro-league juggernaut?
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

New petition

Fire Joe D. - Ernie for GM!
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

And start calling him "Joe the Slow Adult".:)
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

what are we really expecting with this late pick? immediate help? cmon man. we drafted too low for that. JD got the guy he wanted and an extra pick to stick in the oerseas farm. was Sharpe better than Walker? only time will tell but it seems to me that Joe went for the deep sleeper. he's proly d league material this year
  19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Joe had a first round pick. He didnt take best available nor did he fill an immediate need.

He self-admittedly wasted two picks on guys that are so close to being lost causes they agreed to get "stashed" in Europe ala Will "do you even fricken' remember me?" Blaylock.

As much of a deal is made of low first rounders being crap, I personally think its a safe bet to say that somebody Joe passed on will be better than what he took. The theory holds true for every draft he has been a part of. Dont believe me? look it up.

As a result, fans have become extremely upset with him when it appears that he didnt even try this time. I dont blame them, I dont blame me. If anybody needs to apologize for the resulting situation, it should probably be Joe.

After tonight I wouldnt be surprised in the least if the same "core group" showed up to training camp while Joe hemmed and hawed and said none of the trades were "right". Damned if the group was all but predestined to not win squat.
  20. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

sheesh no one has seen anyone from this draft play in the NBA yet, give it at least half a season before you start freaking out.