Walter Sharpe is the 1st pick---DJW traded

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jun 26, 2008.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Is this half a Euro-league season?

Or half a summer league season?

Cause thats the only time you're gonna see these cats get any PT.
  2. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

...And why should he make a panic trade or a panic draft of someone who still likely wouldn't have made the team? If we start out the year with the exact same team its still the team that went to the last 6 ECF and lost to the eventual champ.
  3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I am not sure if there was any great talent available that down low in the current draft. The depth was not rated high. It does appear that there were potentially better choices but this draft was not known for its depth. Joe could have traded the pick for a future pick or packaged it.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Because the team as it is currently built gave less effort than every team that has beaten them.

Joe himself said it.

I refuse to placate myself with fairy tale scenarios to pre-explain Joes theoretical future failures, like labeling any possible draft or trade as a "panic" move.

Response to 4 continuous years of lackadaisical effort is hardly a panic move...more like an "its about time" move.

We are way past the panic stage. Something meaningful needs to be done. It doesnt involve stashing guys in Europe, and it doesnt involve me blindly fooling myself into believing Rip Van Winkle is gonna suit up and get us into the finals.

Delude yourself all you want Honcho, but you aint taking me with you.
  5. Mike Honcho

Thats fine man, clearly you are more the throw the baby out with the bath water type. I can't talk you out of that and thats fine. I agree that change needs to happen in order for us to get back to a championship, and liek you said so does Joe. He made step one, which was getting rid of the head coach who at times didn't even seem to have a pulse. Now he knows he wants to make changes to the team to make them serious post season contenders, but that doesn't mean he needs to take any trade that comes his way. Hell, he can wait till midseason next yr and have the same affect.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Now I'm worried that Lee might take me out with a snipers rifle. :)

If they had taken someone like Walker with their extra pick that actually had a chance to both make and help the team then this would be fine. No, you are not going to get Michael Jordan late in the draft, but for next to no money you had a chance to add lottery type talent to your team and address a glaring weakness. Instead the Celtics took that chance
  7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Midseason moves fail to pay off far more often than they succeed.

I cant believe your trigger finger wont start itching until the allstar break. Theres no way.
  8. Mike Honcho

Yeah, that Sheed trade never did pay off...
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

One occurrence fails to incorporate any type of historical evidence does it not?

Sounds like you are Fox news material buddy.

You had to go back 4 years and I can give you two from last year alone. So, like I said, it fails to work out far more often than it works.

Considering that Joe already beat the odds once, I would say the statistical chances of lightning striking twice for him are ridiculously slim to none, rock bottom low.
  10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think its a safer bet to say that a guy that Joe passed on is going to be about where his pick is... at the far end of the bench or bouncing up and down the d-league.

I'm ok with this draft. I wasn't expecting real impact at our position and the mercurial nacro guy is an interesting prospect to follow. If Amir blossoms, Samb finds his way on the team, Afflalo becomes a good backup, we're good on young talent.

I think we should make a move but we have until the trade deadline to make a good move happen.
  11. Mike Honcho

Yeah, my trigger is already itchy! Thankfully I don't run the Pistons!

If I were we could probably count this year a goner while I retooled and got younger. Not that we would suck, but I doubt we would get out of the first round. I would get rid of Sheed n Chauncey for some youth, and I would have moved up and drafted Hibbert. I'd keep Rip and Tay. I'd move Dice to the bench.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mid season changes
    1988-89 Mark Aquirre- Dantley trade ; result: title...
    (but we probably would have won with Dantley)

2003-04 Rasheed W aquisiton result: title

2005-06 Tony Delk aquisition, result: 3rd round exit
    2006-07 Chris webber aquistion result: 3rd round exit
    2007-08 Theo & Dixon aquisiton result: 3rd round exit

2008-09 ? we need to start sooner than later
  13. Mike Honcho

Delk and C-Web weren't trades.
  14. Mike Honcho

The two from last year were terrible trades from the get go. No idea why they were made at all much less mid-season when they totally changed how the teams had to play. The key in a midseason trade is trading for a player that fits the makeup of the team (Sheed).
  15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Thats hindsight 20/20 stuff right there.

If either of those trades worked out they would have been golden.

If the Rasheed trade wouldnt have worked out it would have been garbage and hundreds of pundits would have "saw it coming"

There was zero distinction between the three at the time they occured.
  16. Mike Honcho

I can't prove it admitedly (I wasn't on here at the time) but I thought Dallas was absolutely stupid for trading for a nearly dead Kidd while trading off one of the best young PGs in the game.

I wasn't as hard on the Shaq trade because they had to get rid of Marion or Amare, and I know Shaq still can play some valuable minutes (especially in the playoffs which is where the Suns struggle) but he totally doesn't fit the team and they are trying to rebuild that team around players past their prime.

The Sheed trade I was all for because we gave up a gumball, a two day old pizza, and a warm flat diet pepsi to get him. If it didn't work out we didn't really lose anything.
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

You do realize we gave up the pick that the Hawks used to draft Josh Smith with as well as the pick the Celtics drafted Tony Allen with?

After Tony Allen was picked who was still on the board? Only Kevin Martin, among others. Sheed was hardly gotten for free.

Also, I'm sure fans of Dallas and Phoenix were just as stoked about their trades as you were about yours. Meanwhile, much more people thought Sheed was a poisonous headcase who was no good for a team, Pistons fans included.
  18. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

In addition to losing the draft picks we also lost Okur because we could only afford to pay for either Okur or R Wallace. So you are very right!! We gave up a lot for him, but at the end of the day we got 4 ECF, 2 Finals and 1 title.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know that is why I said acquisitions. We don't want to wait until mid season to acquire a new body or trade for one. They need to be here at the beginning to mesh with style and flow of the team and of course the coach has to play him too in real games and not just practice and garbage time. With Stuckey missing so many games to start the season, he almost qualified as mid season acquisition:sssh:
  20. Mike Honcho

I know you clarified that they were acquisitions, but we had been talking about trades. I agree about Stuck.