Walter Sharpe is the 1st pick---DJW traded

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

There was nothing, aside from $$$$, that stopped them from drafting both. To me, that doubles the chance that they can add a valuable back up with minimal risk. Moving back 3 spots and coming away with a chance at something is totally different than what they did.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Easy for y'all to throw around a million dollars, and call people cheap, when you're on the internet!!!!!

I like the Sharpe pick and it is typical Joe D. Low-risk/ High-reward. That's Joe. I knew that they were listing Sharpe at 6'9", but I had no idea that he was also weighing in at 245!!!!! When there's a a kid on the board who's 6'9"/245, can play both forward spots, put the ball on the floor, pass, and shoot!!!!! Seems like a great pick to me.

This is Joe's pick, not mock draft, not Jay Bilas, not Chad Ford, draft express, hoopshype, etc etc. I trust Joe's gut decisions, it's when he starts listening to all the people YOU ALL are listening to that he screws up and gets in trouble. Sharpe is 21 years old and at 245 already has an NBA body!!!!! OH man I can't wait for summer league.

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Actually Joe gets into trouble when he bases his draft pick solely on a great workout despite any other red flags.

Sharpe may not have been on anyone elses radar for multiple reasons.. but he had a great workout, and Joe wanted him.

Michael Curry- "I don't know Joe....I remember reading that Darko had a great workout for you..."

Dave Cowens- "Jackpot!"

Joe Dumars- "I know, I'll ask him to come back tomorrow. If he has a great workout two days in a row then it cannot be a fluke. I'm taking this kid!"

Dave Cowens- "Jackpot!"

4. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

I don't think that Sharpe was drafted for that reason. He was Joe's pick at 29 until he was offered the trade down and felt he could get the same player a little lower and collect a pick. The remainder of the players we drafted in the second round were the ones that he asked if the mind playing overseas. Sounds like they intend for Sharpe to back up Tay.

5. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

The reason he moved so far down the draft is that he recently hurt his knee (in a major way...for the second time). I think there has to be some concern that he just doesn't have much life left in that knee.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Naw Cloud, you're wrong on this one. Joe watches tape, lots and lots of tape, and for him he just wants the workouts to confirm what the tape showed. THERE WAS NO TAPE ON DARKO!!!! Just Rufus Henry like folklore from that idiot Tony Ronzone!!!!! and his Serbian tour guide.

7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Yeah for Ronzone in Serba were built Potjomkin villages. Those worked for Katherine II, so why not for Ronzone?

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

There is a roster spot. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have grabbed him but there's more than money involved.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Amen, and in todays NBA where you can get traded anywhere at anytime, you'd think you would show off your skills every chance you can, sounds like either he lets his agents and "boys" talk to him to much or he himself has alot of learning to do. probably best we don't have to worry about him.

12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  13. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Double that! Got enough Diva's in the league as it is and we don't or need any of them here!

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Where else does a hot dog cost $5 or a beer $7-8? So yeah, it is easy to throw a million dollars around. I too can't wait for the summer league, because it will give DET a chance to win something.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The Strip Club!!!@!!!!

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Correct, and if that strip club started rolling out one legged 265 LB might be women claiming they just need " a little more seasoning "?

17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Tomorrow an article will come out saying that CDR did no such thing...

18. max

max All-Star

From that article.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Now he gets no contract guarantees and has to try and earn a spot in the summer league.

There was not a very good scouting report on this guy. lacks a lot of fundamentals and is a complete project. He could not even make an impact in college so going pro will be a stretch. Cheik Samb has a brighter future than this guy. Samb has a good attitude working for him.

19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I do not beleive Sharpe was one of the players that agreed to go to Europe. We'll see how it plays out.

20. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Seems like alot of people are saying that Joe passed on a "sure thing" for a "sleeper".