Wanna improve somthing you love? Have less of it!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, May 13, 2009.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Shorter schedule? Forget about that | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Is it just me or does anyone else resent the idea that taking away something you love will make it better?

I'm really tired of this argument and I wonder sometimes how anyone who feels this way can honestly claim they love basketball. Sure, the ticket to improve something you really love is to get rid of it or whittle it down so there's a lot less of it. Genius!

I seriously doubt anyone who "loves" the game of basketball (particularly NBA basketball) pines for less of it. As a matter of fact, it always seems that the individuals calling for less of the NBA are somehow around the game, but you always get the sense that there's no real love for the game. It just exists for them. No one who LOVES the NBA thinks this way.

The league itself has done enough to crap up the game...including, but not limited to:
    • Transitioning from a team to an individual star player marketing model.
    • Riding MJ into the sunset as if there was to be no more basketball after his departure.
    • Moving in the 3 point line.
    • Subsequently, moving back the 3 point line.
    • Virtually removing physical contact from the game (unless it suits them).
    • Making 1st round series 7 freaking games instead of simply finding a way not to take TWO FULL WEEKS to play 5 damn games.
    • Instead of addressing the few bad apples, criminalizing the entire league of players as if a shiny new sport coat makes you a model citizen.
    • Allowing their officials to be openly biased/incompetent and then playing the one bad apple card when one of them is caught pants down, so to speak.
    • Penalizing players for competing and doling out clear path fouls, and phantom flagrants for any player not getting the hell out of Dodge during a fast break on which he is the defender with a "star" approaching.
    There are a ton of things the league could do to improve itself. The least of which would be to stop giving lifetime jobs to cats like Popeye Jones who, as an assistant coach, could in no arguable way provide anything of use to a young big man by way of his own career. He could, perhaps, instruct young big men on things such as:
    • How to hustle, but accomplish absolutely nothing.
    • How to get back on D after being dunked on in humiliating fashion while continuing to look like an unembarrassed member of one's own team...
    • Or maybe how to sit the bench comfortably so as not to risk injury when being called upon as the HVC or clock funnel on the losing side of a 25 pt blowout...
    • Or even how to be scored on repeatedly and manage to stay on the floor long enough to be sweating when you return to the bench.
    • Possibly how to achieve one dunk every 35 minutes of action (roughly 10 games) and succeed in getting your home crowd to go bonkers as if you had just won the title with those two points.
    There are many things Popeye Jones could teach young NBA big men. How to actually be NBA quality big men is not one of them. So why does he have a freaking job?

But, as mentioned, the solution is to clearly have less NBA. What was I thinking?

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not real big on the NBA right now, but I used to be. Even then I thought the season was way too long and should be shortened by 7 games.

I also thought there were too many teams and it watered down the talent.

Now, I understand the reasons for these things but I didn't think they were good things.

I think the bigger problems are the level of corruptness (perceived or real) and the lack of respect for the league by the players themselves.

Just my two cents.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If the season is too long, why don't teams just play their stars less and play their bench's more? Sit the starters out for 5 games if it is so grueling.

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

LOL!!!

Way to single out Popeye Jones Low!

I've been spraying on for years about how Popeye Jones has single-handedly ruined the sport of professional basketball in North America and nobody takes me seriously. You and I need to have one of those Native American blood brother rituals where we eat a bunch of peyote and press our bleeding hands together.

[​IMG]

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

:pound: @ Chunk

Count me in, bro!

6. max

max All-Star

Why after all this time do some think we need a shorter schedule?

So they added 2 more games to the 1st round - most never go the distance anyway.

One thing they could do is stop pressuring players to play over the summer for team USA. Recruit players from teams who did not make the playoffs.

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yes. Playing in the summer is not smart even if it is "patriotic".

I remember reading Bill Walton's biography and he literally couldn't walk across the room when he was done...but for the most part we don't hear anything about the physical condition of former players. Joe Dumars and Rick Mahorn for example...can they still hoop?

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I actually don't have a problem with the NBA shortening the schedule by 10 games if it was economically sound for them to do that.

I mean love basketball and watch it every night if it is on, and it is the only sport I pay to attend in person, but if it was over by the end of May, I could start my summer earlier and spend more quality with family instead or arranging things around the games. Even now with the Pistons season over for more than two weeks, I am still watching as many games as I would if the Pistons had been still playing.

As far as the wear and tear of the bodies, most of us probably have not played as many games as these guys ~~90-100 per season for the good teams ~~so we can't be critical of them saying they are tired. We are not just talking about playing, but the travel alone can wear you down. I hop on plane and fly some where every month for my job, and believe me it takes a day or two for me to get back on track, so I can only imagine what it toll it takes on the players who might be in three different cities in one week...of course I am old enough to be most of these players fathers so let me shut up....:)

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound::pound:

Seriously? You quoted a guy who has been sitting on the bench all season collecting a big fat paycheck as the guy in favor of keeping the season as is? You are hilarious, McCoskey!

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yeah...I found that pretty hysterical as well. McCosky should have contacted Boozer for his sentiments on the subject also.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Baseball...120 game season.

Basketball...65 game season.

Hockey...65 game season.

Football 18 game season.
    2 less pre-season games....

My 2 cents...

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Football teams are already resting players at the end of the season. They're the one league that had is right to me.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

None of them can jump anymore. Barkley shuffles across the floor like an old lady when he walks.

There was an article in the DetNews around the time Delfino was beefing with the team over his knee because he wouldn't play until it was pain free. It said something like 95% of all NBA players don't have the full range of motion in their knees by the time they're 24-25.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think you're on track with the proposed new schedule. They would still play the same pace of games in a shorter time. Proponents of this say the quality of play would go up.

You could make the same argument if you contracted 2 teams and dispersed those players around the league. There's a lot of dead weight on these teams.