Washington At Detroit - Nov 25, 2005

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Well, you're upfront at least.

Just for the record, what are your "Moderator" responsibilities? If I'm not allowed to Ignore you, at least I might draw some comfort from knowing you're doing a lot of positive things behind the scenes.
  2. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

chucky

chucky was a decent backup to have. In case you dont remember he could hit shots like that when he was here and if you think he did not have this game marked on his calender then you are just plain dumb. When you trade away a player you should expect him to come in and do his damndest to try and beat you. (even blaha gave him props for his lights out shooting) if you take away the chucky factor it wasnt even a close game.

The fact is washington is a playoff team who came to ball and the pistons got beat.

I didnt watch the game but I listened to the 4th and overtime but looking at the box score they got to the line way more than we did going 38-46 shooting .826 meenwhile the pistons shot 26-33 for a % of .788 that is 13 more attempts then us

and to say we played horrible d on arenas well he lit up minnie for 33 on the 17th denver he dropped 36 on the 22nd and the 39 against us last night he is on a roll he is 4th in the league in scoring behind kobe ai and lebron scoring 26.7

besides billups and arenas usually set the tone for their teams arenas tore it up last night while billups shots were not dropping the two go head to head and it is a great matchup so what they got the best of us this time we play them what 3 or 4 more times bet on the pistons (billups) to be ready
  3. Abe Froemen

the low

I really wish you would lay off the condecending slappy remarks dude we are fans not idiots you are not the only one in here who is not happy about the loss but keep the bs comments to yourself mod or not it is uncalled for

PS chucky got us into the playoffs as our point guard so he could not have sucked that bad
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

And give up even more

Don't be fooled by one game. Atkins came into the game shooting 23% for Washington. And hardly playing at all. Now Washington is hoping someone sees this one performance and they can trade him to the next team. I know Atkins did well in this game. But also note Billups continually got points off Atkins when matched up with him. Most nights, thats the story with Atkins. He might give you points, but he always gives the other team points.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We had no real answer for Caron Butler. That guy was getting it done on both ends. It says three steals but it seemed like he deflected a lot more passes that went out of bounds.

This team needs a microwave. I like our bench...rather the bench's potential. I wouldn't mind this team being able to field 6 starters. Right now its like 5 starters and some other guys. They're all about moderately effective compared to the rest of the team.

The team still takes a long time to start playing. We basically give up the first quarter and try to play 3 quarters of basketball. Maybe less. But on a positive note, that come back was awesome.
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

This wouldn't have been as bad of a loss IMO if we played the whole game and then lost it.We still seem to think we can turn it on whenever we want to.Well sometimes you can but that is not the attitude to have because we see the result.

We are 9-2 great record for the changes and wondering what was going to happen this year.The lack of a consistent defensive effort is alarming though because that wins games.Hard to complain when our record is good but this trend of playing part of the game and spotty defense when we get to some of the better teams is gonna bite us in the arse.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Evans does not work as a backup small forward

Guys like Caron Butler are why. As good as Evans did on Arenas, and he was very good, he was that bad and moreso guarding Butler. We absolutely need a different solution at this position besides Evans. And I hope Flip goes looking for one soon from his own roster. If its not there, we need to pick up a free agent or do a trade.
  8. Abe Froemen

not fooled

i said he was a backup i did not call chucky an allstar or a lock down defender however to totally dicredit him as low did is not fair he was our point guard before we got billups and we made it to the playoffs that does not mean oh he is great or anything just give the guy a little respect. i said he had the game marked on his calender he had a very good game against his former team thats all.
  9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Free throw

The real question should be: Would Darko have stuck the putback and then made the free throw?
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

no the real question gazoo is if he would have even grabbed the rebound or if it would have slipped off his fingers and went out of bounds :D
  11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think this is a helpful point in all the Flip vs. LB, new pistons vs. old pistons debate. It's just too early (just as it was too early when the Pistons were 8-0 to herald Flip as a savior). People may come back and say, well Ben was out for 6 games at the beginning of last year, and LB was having his surgery, but I still think that even over the long haul, the Pistons were just a little better on defense under LB and more than a little worse on offense.

Here's another issue and this is just an impression, but it has seemed to me over the past couple of years that there is a psychological issue at work here. At least, I've often felt frustrated that the Pistons (under both coaches) seem to need to have their backs to the wall before they get serious on defense (and for me there's no question that their defensive intensity appears to transfer to more aggressiveness and more fluidity and rhythm on offense). LB didn't seem to solve that problem and neither has Flip. On the one hand, maybe that's not a big deal -- after all, they've had terrific success in recent seasons and they can certainly pull it off often enough against mediocre and poor teams, and even sometimes against very good teams. But I do think it is part of what separates excellent teams from dominating ones.

The Pistons, on the floor, need to develop the psychological habit of playing at the same level regardless of the quality of the opponent, regardless of the score. No doubt that partly lies with the coach, but this isn't high school, or even college. These guys are grown men and professionals so I feel the responsibility lies primarily with the players and especially with their emotional leaders (who I think are probably Ben, Chauncey, and Sheed). I don't want them to lose entirely that loose sense of confidence they seem to have, even when they are down. But maybe just to ratchet up the sense of urgency, regardless of the situation. Can they make those two coexist?

Apart from that, I think it's probably too early in this campaign to draw too many conclusions about the play of individual players or about the coaching. I get as annoyed as the next guy with losses like last night's, but I think it's good (at least it helps me keep my sanity) to also take the long view and get a little perspective on things.
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Ya know what, screw it. Have a great year guys!:peace:
  13. Abe Froemen

how about a different ?

I have nothing but love for big Ben but the question I have is if flip went with the Sheed and Dyess lineup in OT how would we have done? Granted Ben fouled out and that is the way it ended up out of necessity but I am not sure if we were down already or not. I don’t know if Ben would take it as a slap in the face or not but to get more of an offensive lineup out there in OT is not a bad idea. Lb went to that lineup occasionally with some moderate success. I understand Ben brings the little things like rebounds and hustle but substitutions can be made for offensive defensive purposes i.e. we have the ball after a free throw sub in Dyess and then commit a foul (given we are not over the limit) and bring Ben back in for him

I don’t know the facts on how effective that is but imo it only makes sense its like when you come out of a time out and you are down 3 you bring in your 3 point shooters with a set play for a 3

I am surprised nobody else brought up the point that we executed poorly after timeouts with little success in finding an easy bucket (lbs bread and butter) I am not ready to say flip hasn’t got the goods based of 1 close game and poor execution (I didn’t see the game but listened to it) so maybe I missed it so lets just say it is something to keep an eye on
  14. ggazoo69

W'hog

Yes, that is a BETTER question. I do agree with bballjay's premise, however. I don't like this 8-man rotation BS at all. I want Delfino and Darko in there. These guys need to play to get better. I'm thinking Darko didn't play because Wash. is a perimeter team and Darko wouldn't have much to defend. I'm not so concerned about his defense. I want to see what he can do on offense. He's supposed to be this offensive wizard in practice. I want him to be given a shot on the court. If we're going to keep these guys around, they need to develop. People say, "Oh, it's early in the season." The season is one-eighth over. It is not too early. As for Delfino, I was not sold on him at all because of his past whining, but he's got the quicks on offense for sure. And as Lee has said, he handles the ball pretty well. We can whine about Delfino and Arroyo not playing defense, but the starting 5 ain't playing great D either.
  15. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

What Happened Last Night (IMO)

1) We got beat on the boards. I know it was technically even (so the stats say) but we have to outrebound a smaller club like the Wizards. They got too many second-chance opportunities.

2) Rip was terrible. I'm not in the "Dump Rip because he had a bad game" club. But last night was definitely bad. He is a much, much better player within the flow of the offense. That's where he is very dangerous. When he misses some shots, though, he starts pressing and trying to do more than he can. That's when he starts playing out of control and turning the ball over. Flip has to be unafraid to pull him and talk to him when he starts doing that just to calm him down and then stick him back in the game.

3) I thought we should have gone to 'Sheed more in the post early in the game (when we went down 17 or whatever). Washington has no one on their team that has even a prayer of guarding him down there.

4) Chucky Atkins, he of the 23% shooting percentage and 2+ points per game, hit some ridiculous threes. I'm going to avoid drawing any conclusions based on that, which will probably happen to him once more this year (at most).

I do want to say that I thought Rasheed was phenomenal and that should not go unrecognized just because we lost. He almost saved the game for us.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with Mo Evans but not 100% convinced he's the answer as the backup SF. He seems to be better suited to the backup SG position. I would not be shocked to see Joe D try to deal for a backup 3 at some point before the trading deadline, because Tay is logging way too many minutes again.

I think we need to play Darko or trade him. What we're doing right now is a bit of a waste because he isn't getting enough time to really develop and if we don't think we can afford to give that time to him, we should move him and get something of value back. We have a bit of a wasted asset (whichever way you look at it) sitting on the bench.
  16. JKP

JKP Second Round Draft Pick

Listen everyone. We are Ok and will improve with the players we have until the Rings come. Chemisrty is more important then the best players. We have very good players and good chemistry. 9-2 isn't bad. Remember we are still learning each other , new members, as well as , Flip's new system.:nod: LAST NIGHTS LOSS GOT TO ME BECAUSE I FEEL THERE WAS SUCH POOR EXECUTION AND DECISION MAKING AND APPARANT LACK OF COACHING AMD/OR LISTENING TO THE COACH. :doh: This will improve.

Why didn't CB continue taking it to the basket vs the 3's. My God I could just hear that coach during the Bad Boy's era going bonkers. You break out by 10 in a very close game you need to bring your DEFENSE to play and quick.Second three pointer TIME OUT !!! Deliberate effective basketball. If this is LB style then there are times during a game when it is important to use this ability. Players always need coaching and the Coach needs to be in CONTROL

Don't get me wrong about Flip. Coach is a human too. He doesn't have all the answers or knowledge. Flip for instance , doesn't know the capabilities of his players yet. We have been watching them for several years. He will learn and be able to much better use the GREAT pieces of a Championship Puzzle that he has been provided. Practice vs real game tight situations are two different things. Only with many more close games under his belt will he be able to effectively coach this group to another Championship.:rockon:

ABRACO</B></B></B></B></B></B>
  17. max

max All-Star

game

Scholas - yes it is too early to tell. I do have to respect The Low for comming out and saying exactly whats on his mind. And he is not alone as many feel that way - just admit it if thats how you feel.

Is the defense worse? Like you said its too early to tell. The defense sucked for the entire 1st half of last season pretty much so its hard to get an accurate gage. Flip is still learning his team and the players are still learning him. Thank goodness we did not have to suffer through an adjustment faze that was accompanied by a losing start as the East is not so weak anymore.

The Jeckyl/Hyde attitude not only on defense but in all areas has been here since Carlisle. Its frusterating, I do not know why. Like you wrote LB did not find a solution either.

One thing is for sure 54 wins is not going to cut it this season. Pistons can win 1, maybe 2 7-game road series in a row but not 3 - thats not going to happen. These early wins are very important. Pistons had the best start and do not even have the top seed anymore. SAN is 10-2
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Lanierfan

This quote from Lanierfan was directed at The Low and was a Low blow. Why is everyone down on a guy for expressing his opinion? I can't see why you would want to ignore someone because their opinion doesn't mesh with yours.

Last year the Larry Brown forum bashing was reaching a crescendo....and Larry had just won a championship. This year one guy dares to buck the trend and we're all over him??
  19. max

max All-Star

T-Bird

All good points. Could there have been some sympathy by the refs last night? I am talking overall conspiracy, refs are human and saw a 5-game losing team get the game pulled out from underneath them. 2 questionable calls late in the 4th that would have been the game. Ben taking the charge and getting a blocking foul that allowed Wash to kick it out to Jamison for a 3. And Arenas using his off-arm to knock Chauncey out of the way with Chauncy getting the foul. Either of those calls would have resulted in a Pistons win.

Arenas shot 10-32 and seemed to get most of his calls not on drives but on el-cheepo perimiter calls.

Yes and something has to be done with Darko. Next game Darko has to come out and bring a little more offense as he does seem to act like he has all the time in the world.

On Rip. He will have games like this but many times he has been able to turn it around in the 4th. That did not happen last night.

Rebounding? This is one area I agree needs improvement. Team should make it a priority to focus on boxing out and not letting guys like Butler sail in for easy putbacks.
  20. ggazoo69

Balance

I like people who buck trends, 'bills. I still wear bellbottoms and would very much like to get shag carpeting in my home. That being said, I hope Low doesn't disappear (like shag carpeting and bellbottoms). We need balance on here. The Pistons, though 9-2, have some glaring holes you could drive a Mack truck through (every team does). No harm in The Low pointing them out.