Washington At Detroit - Nov 25, 2005

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Of course of course. I actually have no problem with Low saying what he says. And I don't care if he only posts to criticize or what have you. I've only been subscribed to the forum for about a week anyway, so I've no idea what back history there was to people's reactions to Low's post. I certainly didn't intend my post to discourage anyone from posting their own opinions and impressions. Apologies if it was taken that way by anyone out there.

Clearly, the Pistons have exhibited certain weaknesses already this season, in spite of the excellent start. There are issues that both individual players and the coaching staff might address. There are a number of very tough teams out there that the Pistons will have to improve in order to defeat in the playoffs. It's certainly not too early for people to make those points.

I only think it is too early to tell whether or not the coaching staff and players will identify those weaknesses accurately and make an intelligent sustained effort to remedy them. In that regard, I remain hopeful partly because I'm congenitally optimistic and partly because both the team and the coach have a pretty decent track record.
  2. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Basketbills

My issue with The Low's comments were not directed at "not drinking the kool-aid." One of the things I like best about him as a poster is that he doesn't just toe the party line. And I think dissent is healthy.

My problem was that he immediately scapegoats Flip every time (both times) we lose (he did so at halftime of the Boston game as well). If you follow his comments to their logical conclusion, when the P's lost last year it must have been the players' fault (since he stated that he didn't disagree with LB's coaching) but when we lose this year it's Flip's fault. That really is inconsistent.

The fact is that both coaches have their pluses and minuses. LB was clearly a superior defensive coach but his offense left something to be desired. Flip is offensively extremely strong but just so-so on the other side of the ball.

It's fine to say we need to defend better (although I don't agree that was the problem in the Washington game). However, it would be nice if he acknowledged that there is no way we put up 108 on Philly, 111 on Phoenix, 117 on Toronto, and 114 on Denver with LB running the team. Credit where credit is due is all I ask.

The Low I think has fallen into a trap. He came into the year expecting Flip to flop (he said as much on the DetNews forum last year). So all of his evaluations of the team this year are a function of that prism through which he is looking. When the team does poorly he says "I told you so" while selectively filtering out anything positive that might contradict his preconceived notion that the team this year will be worse with Flip as coach.

All I am asking is an objective assessment rather than one that was predetermined before the season started, and consistency in recognizing the improvements over last year's system as well as the areas that we still need to work on.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well that had to go down as one of the more intense games of the year... not enough fingers to count lost opps to win this one... but sheet happens and ya move on.
    Yes that was one of Chuckit's shining moments... he's always been good for a couple crazy shooting nights... which doesn't come close to offsetting his gosh-awful defense and poor team play ... in his last year as a Piston he penetrated and dished only two times up to the trade deadline (yes I kept track).... that said I'll bet we trade for his expiring contract.

I though C.A. was having an excellent floor game... he was not overdribbling... consistently finding the open man for the easy shots... just a solid "O" performance from our setup man.

Our PG's have taken a lot of critisism for their lack of "D" on dribble drives.... but when you think about it... how many PG's excel at keeping their man in front of them?
    The only two that come to mind is Baron Davis and L.H.
    With the crossovers and picks it's nearly impossible to keep a decent PG from getting inside.... so we have to do a better job of show & recover from the other four players.... we don't want to use help and then have their bigs wide open for dunks either... Sydney Lowe brought up the point that wingmen need to help more underneath.

I can't think of a worse team to play after a double OT game than the run and gun Bucks.... TJ is gonna go off tonight.
    I would imagine the bench will play plenty.
    Let's see a litle Darko vs Bogut...
    Ya think Flip is seeing some of what LB was in DMC?... nawwww that couldn't be right!
    BTW, LB played his rooks major minutes today in an OT win against Philly...
    Funny sight: Frye is rubbing LB's back while the other Rookie (Robinson) is telling Larry how to design a play... and LB is agreeing with him.:grouphug: :pound:
  4. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

the Low

5. max

max All-Star

Scolas/Tbird

Like I wrote there is nothing wrong with someone coming out with their honest opinion. Seems like there was a presidence set earlier this season of LB being a "Verboten" topic and yet its been comming out in other passive ways.

Lets get off the denial fest and admit what we are really thinking.

Nothing wrong with questioning a new coach 11 games into the season when the prior one won a title.

I happen to agree with the coaching change and truly believe the team will be better but its still too early to claim victory.

Time to move onto the next game.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Abe,
    I have to say this is the most cooperative Piston forum out there... I mean others make this one look like a Church service.
    I think the mods have done an excellent job of not letting things get out of hand... I've been guilty of getting into regretful battles... and noone comes out ahead (insert sappy icon here).
  7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

What goes around .......

Does anyone think we may have erred by embarrassing our opponent. We were pretty much having our way until Los started the Curly Neal re-enactment, entertaining as it was.

Didn't stick around long enough to catch the interviews, but I'm curious to hear how much CA enjoyed the Chucksters barrage.