washington Wizards Dec. 17th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 14, 2008.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

It makes little sense.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it's really difficult to ignore the negative contents again but i will do my best. before i talk about the game let me talk about the palace. i want to commend them for adjusting to the times - they are offering GREAT deals and if you live anywhere in SE michigan you should really try going to a game.

for instance, near the silent auctions they had stockings you could purchase - 4 tickets for $40, parking pass (save $10), a $10 gift card, and a pennant signed by max. it's almost like going to a game for free. on friday hot dogs are $1 the entire night. the palace locker room store had 40% off EVERYTHING. i got pistons monopoly for $9, got my nephew a jersey for $17, automotion calendar for $9...couldn't beat it.

with that being said, it felt like a preseason game. for the first time ever there was no line waiting to get into the palace, and i'd guess only about 13,000 of the 22,000 capacity showed up. the crowd was a little dead early, but the side bonus of all these deals is that the fans who DO show up are younger and more enthusiastic (i wonder where all the show-offs have gone?? lol). our section was missing half its people but we were louder than many actual sellouts.

as for the game, i'm nothing but encouraged. these games by stuckey are not a fluke, and the best part is he plays his best in the 4th quarter. he shoots better, he drives better, and he passes better. when the game gets tight he doesn't feel pressure, he thrives...and i look forward to watching him for years. sure washington isn't the best team, but they've still got quality players and a lot of good offensive guys, yet we held them to 74 points and forced them into rushed, off-balance jumpers the entire 4th quarter. this was the first time all year that i attended a game and had no doubt about the outcome (even though we never had a *huge* lead and even when the lead got cut to one).

sheed's stats weren't great but he still played well. watching washington try to trap us in the 4th was almost comedic - we broke it with ease and scored every time. watching AI burn up their defense was beautiful. watching stuckey drive and make sweet pass after pass, good lord. as good as AI was in the 4th, stuckey took over the game when it was time to put it away.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone catch the interview with Joe D during the game where he talked about how high the ceiling was for this team despite the won loss record?

He said that despite the team winning a lot of games during the reg season the last few years he felt there was a limit to how good they could be. Doesn't that beg the question of why if he felt that didn't he do anything to address it?
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I saw that interview and was shocked. The ceiling for the past team was clearly an NBA championship. If that's the ceiling, I'm totally cool with that.

At the very least, we had a floor of ECF, game 6.

And I do not agree that this team has no ceiling.
    [​IMG]
  6. roscoe36

No doubt. I can't believe people complain after a nice home win with good O, and great D.

Stuckey is playing at a very high level. And I feel AI is giving everything he can with the opportunities he has. Tay is surprisingly not as bad as I thought he would be at PF (sorta a Shawn Marion).

I'll take the wins for sure. The chemistry is really starting to become apparent. What we are watching last night however, is going to be much better and smoother in February and March. I do agree with one thing Joe said, you can see the potential with this group. We're not there yet, but the potential exists.

Nice hog cap, and thank you very much! :D

Fans are not supposed to be smart enough to catch that Ernie. lol
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would be pointless if all we did was praise W's and bemoan L's.

Joe Dumars: "What I do is I watch us and watch how we’re playing and I judge decisions and my perspective on how we’re playing, irrespective of the record."

That's all we're trying to do.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you and Joe.
    At this juncture, the record is far down on the list of things that are important.

My list:
    1. Getting a good look at the roster, different combinations, rotations and lineups. (MC is doing this. [although I don't dig the small-ball emphasis])
    2. Establishing an "identity". (this will come after #1 is done effectively).
    3. Continuing to develop our young guys and get them game experience. (hopefully MC will improve in this area)
    4. Developing a game-plan, offense & defense that emphasizes our strengths and de-emphasizes our weaknesses.
    5. Getting enough wins for a top-4 seed in the East. (ok, here's where our record comes into play).
  9. roscoe36

There is little praising of Ws anymore. We lose, it's a catastrophe, we win it's a crisis.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not feeling the negative vibe. Seems like a good level of healthy analysis on the things that the team did and didn't do well.

We just had to go through a bit of an emotional transition over the past month as our team fell down the power ranking stairs.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Probably because some of the wins have been ugly, even though we sigh with relief that we got the W. In the other words when you get a lead and have to struggle to keep it and barely win vs a mediocre team. (one that is more mediocre than ours) then some of us are some what disappointed.

What we need is a nice come from behind feel good win, then all of the things that went wrong in the first half will be all but forgotten because we came back to grab a win.

I am thinking a win vs the Jazz tomorrow and then another vs the Hawks on Sunday and you should see no negative comments no matter how ugly it may be as those would constitute quality wins
  12. LA Dre

Nope he caught them wearing his prized retro suits:eyebrows:
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

There's only about 3 posters that create "said" negativity. Ignore them, only use Lee's posts for, "Entertainment purposes only"...and everthing is pretty cool.
    Again, I'm trying to see if Joe can pull off the dang near impossible task of retooling on the fly while keeping the team respectably competitive, if he can do that and avoid the lottery...sweet. Plus we could use a few more L's in that column come draft night, Joe seems to do pretty good with those mid 1st round picks, no sense in blazing through the regular season to land the 29th pick, and still lose in the ECF's.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are missing the other half of what he said. He says this year, despite the losses, he feels we have a really high ceiling. (In other words, he apparently must have done something, right.)

By the way, I agree. However, that really high ceiling, is going to be near the floor if Curry does not end up playing our young stars in the playoffs. Curry has the power to let the team rise to new heights, or squish the team like a bug. So far, its been a mixed bag, though more like a squished bug these past few games.
  15. LA Dre

Statement of the day so far :cheers:

By the way did you hear the your girl Candace eloped with Forehead Williams last month...The other bad to this is she has to live in Sactown during the winter months instead of LA.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I heard that part, but my head translated it to, 'Please keep spending $$$ on the Detroit Pistons during these tough time while I sit on my ace resting on my laurels.'
  17. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Great post, although that MC has played the young players alot, alot more than most coaches. Who wold have thought that Amir would start for part of the season and that Afflalo has make the impact he has with good burn. The obvious with Stuckey starting and being our being arguable our best player in the past 3 games. I believe he has done so far what he has set to do. I believe in MC and so should you.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I expect an apology.
  19. roscoe36

Oh lee, we're so close to Christmas.

You know KG has dealt you thousands of compliments and kudos in the past, and holds you in the highest esteem.

Can't we all just get along? :thumb: