Home Washington Wizards Monday, December 30, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Washington Wizards

Monday, December 30, 2013 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit Plus
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons by 10.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What will the new starting lineup be?
    S.J. likes this.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jennings
    Stuckey
    Singler
    Smith
    Monroe
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jennings
    KCP
    Smith
    Monroe
    Drummond
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would be like admitting that his desk got messed up.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

The potential new starting lineups don't offer much hope and magnify the deficiencies of the roster. If you start Smith at the 4 with either Monroe or Drummond we'll be going from a 4 who won't shoot from 18-20' to one who we hope won't shoot from there.

Moving Singler into the starting 5 is as pleasant a thought as slamming your thumb in the car door repeatedly.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like you have an agenda against experiencing pain.

Singler is playing good defense, getting out on the break, drawing FTs, and shooting a decent percentage. He shouldn't be a starting SF though, I agree. It's just that on our team, he probably is the best option.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Another easy one.

Pistons by 14.
  10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Well, no new starting lineup, other than the fact that it's working right now (at the half). This team is so schizophrenic.
  11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

And once again the team falls apart in the 4th. This is the most disappointing Pistons season I've ever witnessed.
    del likes this.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

No fun pointing out again the lack of a real (4th quarter crunch time) offense on this team. Please note it is not all on the players. Nor is it all on the lack of 3 point shooting on the squad.

The Pistons had one basket in the first 7 minutes of the 4th quarter and 4 points!! Kelser actually made reference to the defense at first presumably for allowing Washington points to get the lead back. Then, he corrected himself (sort of) and pointed out that the Pistons were not getting fast break points in the 4th quarter. Huh! I thought teams ran their half-court offenses in the 4th quarter where real defense is usually played. Let's call it what it is--it is the only way it might get better.

I wouldn't blame Jennings or the bigs for missing. The Pistons just go helter-skelter when the opposition run starts because...?

Of course, once again, the opposition run was started by having Billips (turnover) and Bynum as the guards. I suppose you could blame Dumars for Billips and Datome (who looks lost). Billips is a Piston champion in my book but he also started the Charlotte loss and his turnovers have been very, very costly. You could blame Dumars for forcing the coach to overplay Singler (who had a good game early on--but then gets asked to do too much) and Bynum, both of whom should have limited roles.

But after that...who do you blame?
    Lee356 likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Billups is looking mighty ineffective. This team doesn't need to be calmed down. They need to spazz out.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The game was lost at the beginning of the 4th quarter with both Bynum and Billups in there. The Wiz shaved off 6 points on a couple turns by our backup guards...the momentum quickly turned in favor of the Wizards and they continued roll to 13-2 run and held the Pistons to only 12 points in the quarter.

The Pistons might be a better team in some eyes on paper, but the Wiz were a better team on the floor two games in a row, in the coaching box and in the standings.

I say this even though we out rebounded them by one, out fast breaked them 24-8 and out pointed them in the paint in 50-32. However missing 14 free throws can offset any positives you have on the other stats and the defense slacks off..especially in the 4th as the Wizard made a lot of open jumpers down the stretch every time the Pistons got it back to within 1 -3 points.

Pope had his best game half of the season scoring 17 points...but as indicated all in the first half. I think he took 2-3 shots in the second half...all missed threes. Josh Smith was 6-19, but it appeared that most of those misses were in the paint....especially in the second half when every swoop to the hoop fell outside the rim.

All of the Pistons starters scored at least 15 points, but we only got 13 from the bench. See how much this team misses Stuckey???

I am not sure which Detroit team has lost more games which they lead in the 4th, the Pistons or the Lions?? I know the Wings have lost their share of third period/OT/SO games so there must be something in the air in Motown that the players are breathing.

I told Mrs Dre, all we have to do is hold them under 100, and we would win this game. Given that the Wiz only had 78 points and the momentum was in the Pistons favor with a 9 point lead, how was I to know that they would decide to take a break in the 4th. I mean we got 99...so hold them to 21 we would have had a W. We just don't win games when we allow teams to top 100...so far this season we are 3-15 when teams score over 100. :crossed:

At 6-11, the Pistons owned the 3rd worst home record in EC and have dropped to the 8th seed (just a few percentage pts ahead of the Bulls) after holding steady at the 5th seed for a couple of weeks.

Yep two weeks ago we were sitting at 13-14, poised to get to .500 after two wins vs the Pacers and Celtics, and then fell flat losing 5 of 6....(just like the Lions) and we finished the month at 8-9 after starting the month with a 4 game win streak. Four of those losses were to teams with losing records.....
  15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Depends on how long JD continues to have tombstones in his eyes: Smith is not taking this club anywhere (no IQ); Monroe has only a spin move (after how long?) and not enough athleticism; the club has no three or SG (who should be your leaders); Why was money wasted on CB and Luigi? CV, JJ and Stuckey need new homes. I would say that JD has a lot to work to do in blowing this club up and believe me, this is the best time to do it.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Pretty simple. Coach used Singler a bit less in the first half. Note, he did not start the 2nd quarter. We competed. But in the end, there is Singler going negative 17 in the 4th quarter. We scored nothing, and stopped the Wiz not once, with Singler in the game in the 4th. We quickly lost a double digit lead, almost entirely from the defensive failings of Singler. Coach took him out. We stayed close enough at that point. But for no reason at all, in comes Singler again - on a defensive play!. And we lose. A lot of that, again, was Singler not rebounding, not defending. The coach is truly obsessed with playing Singler. Not at all concerned about winning games at this point. He still is trying to prove he is right when he said Singler is going to play, period. Well, he was wrong to say it, and no matter how many losses we have because he plays Singler, it will not make him right.

PS, it was pretty much a tie game when Singler came in in the first half. We got behind after he came in. We managed to hide him in our defensive scheme later in the 2nd quarter, and in the 3rd when Drummond was in foul trouble. But rest assured, that was some very good play by our other 4 starters - nothing Singler was doing. He did have some nice scoring plays, but he was also hurting our defense. He was well plus for the game entering the 4th. If coach had quit there, most likely we would be talking about a Detroit win right now. Instead, we are talking about a loss, and me, I just want to know why the coach can't see just how bad our defense is when Singler is in the game. Also note, our bench was rancid tonight. Singler was a big part of that rancidness. Just because our starting unit can manage to hide Singler in it for brief spells does not make it a good idea to play Singler much with our starting unit. You can get away with it on occasion. But other teams do have scouts, and they all have it down to a science at this point about how to burn us when we play Singler.

Datome did nothing. Billups looked old and slow. Bynum looked truly worthless when up against the Wiz guards. Washington does not play any slouches at guard. Bynum, nor Billups, had any place in this game.

The guy who probably could have seriously helped in this one, Harrellson, was barely played. Just bad coaching there.

What was good about the game. For one, we got that double digit lead to begin the 4th by bullying our way into the paint all night. Look at the numbers our starting front line put up - 54/35. Just about all of that inside. Drummond looked real good in particular on one post move from the left where he just out muscled his defender to lay the ball up point blank. Monroe relies on finess, which he showed tons of in this game. Smith looked real good on his shot selection.

One bad, not associated with Singler, was our free throw shooting to start the game. 2-10. It got a lot better after that. Me, I was hating all the misses, but cheering on all the fouls we were drawing. Something we should always press. Even though we made a lot of good attempts at getting inside, here and there we squandered opportunities to go inside by taking outside shots early in the clock. There is room for improvement.

Pope had his career high scoring night, 17, all in the first half. But then we never gave him a shot until very late in the game. Not good. Should have tried to use that shooting in the 2nd half. And Pope held Beal to just two points in the first half. Quite a game by Pope.

Fault Jennings for shooting 3's? Why? Coach had Monroe sitting on the sidelines so Singler could get minutes. Monroe, who had shown time and again he can get inside and score on the Wiz, was sitting on the bench for no reason other than Singler had to get his minutes. You eliminate a real good scoring option like that, what is Jennings supposed to do?

Well, another zero effort game from the coach. We can only hope he decides to start doing his job, of coaching for wins, next time.
    brofmfa, LA Dre and lapiston like this.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It is a lot of little things that add up and become troubling. How many 4th quarter collapses now? As mentioned by others, the lack of discipline in free throw shooting (other than Andre which is a different deal). Again, out of bounds plays that lead to near turnovers--the Pistons got lucky when Wall got called for a foul when he had the steal from Bynum. The Wizards got buckets from Beal and Nene off their out of bounds plays.

In the 4th, the run was already well under way (like the Charlotte game) before the starters were brought in to respond. And then, what is the plan of attack and what plays come from an offensive system? The bigs get frantic and hurried around the hoop and miss as a seemingly comfortable lead is gone. Everyone except Jennings is afraid to shoot. Monroe and Josh are left unguarded about 12 feet away but don't shoot and instead drive into the teeth of the 4th quarter defense. Jennings trying to take over because there is nothing else to do.

This young team needs some structure. And the second unit needs to be strengthened by management.
    del and LA Dre like this.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Pass, actually, I like what Jennings and Smith have brought. I agree that Monroe continues to disappoint too often. He is a hard player to judge and I wouldn't want to make the decision on him at the end of the year.

But yes, Joe has left the team very thin. This was not supposed to be a finished product but still there are way too many gaps.

But per my other comment above, you just get the feeling that the players are not getting much direction on the court. The 4th quarter collapses cannot all be placed on the players or on Joe.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was a toughie because the Pistons played well.

Monroe and Drummond played like they've met before.

Was I the only one who found it a little creepy when Mo Cheecks was getting to know the 2 ladies sitting court side during the game? It seems like they got 2 of the dudes sitting behind them to sit in the empty seats so Mo would go away.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He knew that they were in a strange neighborhood and just wanted to protect them.