Home Washington Wizards Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It's gonna be ok lee. :kiss:

linwood likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't freakin believe that Mo has an agenda against winning just like the last clueless one. Argh.

coynejeremy likes this.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure this is the only way he can force Joe D to realize that Will is too short to be effective and thus get him traded or AT LEAST sent to the D League.

4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Sandbagging.... folks its all about sandbagging for the playoffs......

Or.... maybe we don't want to start a 2nd round rookie.....

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The confusion and disorganization is going to start during the pre-game intros when neither the crowd nor the team will be able to tell that Will has run onto the court. Shoot, Mason might even hesitate to announce the next guy.

coynejeremy and Pwn Toney like this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Will Bynum is WAY taller than 6 feet.

[​IMG]

basketbills likes this.
  7. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

No worries, what Will lacks in height, Billups makes up in slowness. It will all balance out.......

8. BillLaimbeer

Finally, a practical application of the Law of Cosines.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

I can't believe that after months of waiting for an actual Pistons game, I check in to the game thread and find discussions about Clueless Coaches, Will Bynum's height, sandbagging, Chauncey's age, organization, and other nonsense. Seriously, what in the world is going on in here? Doesn't anyone care about Lateral Quickness anymore?

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

This is a compelling arguement, but instead of a basketball goal, I prefer to use opposing players as a reference.

roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

DEEEEETROIT BASSSSKETBALLLLLL

12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

WHT? NO CHAT?

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Nice to finally get to root for the Pistons instead of for losses to get critical draft choices (Monroe, Drummond and Knight to get Jennings). And Monroe is as much a franchise player as Drummond. The Pistons must keep both happy.

This team is going to be really good. Going to be. Right now, the lack of guard play is hurting the team. Good thing Billips is around to hit shots and provide some steady work but Billips cannot be the key at his age.

Bynum simply cannot bring the ball up and run the offense under NBA pressure. Other teams will try and cut off the Pistons at the top right now as a way of avoiding dealing with the emerging power of the Piston front line. Bynum has a role but maybe for 8 minutes instead of 38. The team has to hold on until Jennings comes back.

Singler has to get automatic with those threes if he is to go forward with the team. The rookie Pope was an automatic miss outside. That is often the trouble with rookies.

Good to see JJ get to the hoop and score instead of those wild hooks in the past. He too needs to be able to hit shots. This team should become a dominant team when the pieces either mature or are traded for pure shooters. Look at the difference to what 37 year old Billips brings in shooting vs. many of the others.

Drummond should have played the last 2 minutes to help clog the middle.

Just keep the core of this team together and adjust the supporting cast if necessary and the Pistons can again become dominant.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Lee356 likes this.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We won and everybody looked good....even Jennings and Stuckey in their warmups. And for folks in the Rookie fantasy league, even Tony Mitchell got a stat (a rebound with 10 seconds left in the game.). Mo gave him, Pizza guy and Defending NCAA champ Siva a chance to run the floor with 19 seconds left in the game.

The Pistons were monsters in the paint especially in the first half. After spotting the Wiz a 5-0 lead, the Pistons over came 5 TO's (3 by Will and 2 by Moose) to take control with about 5 mins left in the first qtr and led the rest of the way. They maintained a 9-12 point lead for most of the 2nd and 3rd qtr with their biggest lead at 59-44 in the third.

Dre got into foul trouble, and the Pistons got a little complacent and just after Oldschool joined the chatroom, the lead fell all the way down to four. Three straight treys (2 by Mr Bigshot and one by Josh) somewhat restored order and Roscoe joined the chat room assure that we were all being civil and enjoying the game..... and all the Pistons had to do after that was hope that the Wiz missed FT's as they were in the bonus with 7 mins left in the game.

The game was only close because our defense of the 3 ball was poor .....I mean Trevor Ariza had hit four of them before Josh Smith even knew it was his man to check.

Like I said...everyone looked great. Josh Smith started off slow, but tied Bynum with 19 points and was a +13. Dre despite sitting out the last 11 minutes of the game was 12/8. Billups scored 11 of his 16 points in the 4th...and Monroe was the star of the night with 24-16.

KCP also started slow but hit a few jumpers and played excellent D. Singler and JJ gave us great minutes off the bench.

You could tell by the midway through the 4th that Bynum needed a blow, but he held it together and turned things over to Billups to give Mo his first game ball for the win. It will be nice when both Jennings and Stuckey comeback.

Good to get that first one at home 113-102

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sorry about that. You see, Datome only got in for garbage time. Maybe next time.

coynejeremy, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  16. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Great win!
    I'm kind of upset with Drummond only playing 26 minutes, I guess it was due to foul trouble.
    I couldn't watch the game, but I followed the game via twitter and other apps.

Great start!

17. BillLaimbeer

That's embarrassing. If you don't seal the win with more than at least a minute left, don't put guys in cold with 19 seconds left. Save these guys their dignity. I don't like that move, Mo.

Walter and linwood like this.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I missed the first 3 Qs due to an impromptu Halloween party. But what I saw, I liked. I am very high on this season.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Main stat - we outscored them 56 - 28 in the paint. And it was a whole lot more lopsided than that at one point. Washington closed that gap down the stretch a bit. Yes, our front line worked just fine. Smith hit a couple of threes, and that is plenty to keep them out on him instead of trying to double Monroe.

Drummond had a great statistical night going interrupted by foul trouble. Monroe had an awesome night, getting about half his points at the line - so you know he was going inside. He did take some outside shots, but did not connect. Smith, excellent defense, scored plenty, plus leader for the game. Smith, he kind of like a mix of Drummond's D and Monroe's O. Anyway, between these three, a whole lot of teams will simply not be able to compete against us. If not for a slew of triples by Ariza in the 1st half for Washington, this one would have been a total and complete laugher.

Lets get the Bynum part out of the way. Right up until the last couple of minutes, he was doing ok defensively. Washington keyed on him then, but they were not making enough free throws to claw back into the game. I do not know why, with several opportunities to do so, coach never took Bynum out on a defensive sequence. (or used Drummond there a bit as someone else mentioned.) Anyway, the good news, it could get better than that on end of game defense. Bynum hit that 3 early, and more importantly, got inside a lot on them. Got to the line and made some free throws, including a couple very key ones down the stretch. Plenty of scoring from him, some assists, not too bad on the turns. What impressed me the most though is he got something at least out of some pretty rag tag units at times.

Mr. Big Shot. Earned his name tonight, although maybe we should change that to Big Shots. He nailed 2 triples, at six and then five minutes left in the game. Followed by Smith at 4 minutes. Which Billups assisted on. Billups had 5 assists to just one turn. Made all his free throws including some crunch time ones. I do notice that he has room for improvement though. Probably from rust, Billups has hit nothing of late inside the 3 line. No posting anyone up for scores. No midrangers made. No layups. Just 3 point scoring and some from the line. What he did though, a few times, is got them to foul him while he was dribbling the ball around - the last time in crunch time that really helped the cause. In all, Billups provided leadership, several made threes, and did not seem to get burnt to bad on D. Indeed really, Beal and Wall had bad nights.

Singler only played small forward in this one. JJ a bit of power forward. But JJ only played the 8 minutes - 7 of them at power forward, where he clearly does not belong. I think coach saw that pretty quickly in this game. JJ had quite a nice set of stats though for someone who just played 8 minutes. Meanwhile Singler got 27 minutes at small forward and did plenty. He hit one three early if I recall, but his real highlight was a conventional 3 point play late in the game that we really needed. He drove left and made the lefty hook off glass.

Basically, we used a 7 man rotation, with JJ being an 8th guy getting short minutes. Hey, it worked. Ugly at times, but effective in all with inside play continuing all game. Singler was the only sub mostly for the front lline, moving Smith over to rest Monroe or Drummond.

And in the backcourt, we started our two point guards, Billups and Bynum, and simply had one then the other sit for a bit of rest. Pope was the only guard off the bench - but note Singler started a whole lot of games at shooting guard last year, and looks just fine bringing the ball up the floor. Pope was plus 7. Great to see that. His defense was fine, his outside shooting was non - existent, with one free throw made about the only kind of shot that went in for him from any distance. That is a bit of an exageration though. Anyway, he scored on a drive in where he adjusted around the defender and scooped it in from the left. After a couple questionable charging fouls on him, later he pulled up and rattled in a short pull up jumper. He made one other short shot in the first half. Can't recall the other bucket he made other than it was inside. But here is something kind of interesting. 3 of his missed outside shots were slammed back in - 2 by Drummond. And another was offensively rebounded by us. Though he was 4 - 12, his shooting night was not so bad when you consider at least he was shooting when we had rebounders in position. I like those kind of smarts. (Assuming it was not just dumb luck. We will see going forward.)

Every starter not only scored double figures, hey, its more like every starter outplayed there counter part, and contributed a whole lot. Lets take Smith for instance. Five assists, five rebounds, great D, and lots of points. Monroe added 3 assists to his monstrous size double double.

One more thing. Tonight I believe is the deadline to extend Monroe. I say get it done. Worry about the future in the future. Despite every other contributor to this game, it was Monroe who made us such a good team tonight. Without his excellent post play, we are just an average team.

Anyway, I loved the win. And I can't imagine anyone, after seeing how we manhandled Washington tonight, even without Jennings, would put the Wiz ahead of us in the next power rankings. Just my opinion. GO PISTONS!!!!!

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee,

I was thinking the same thing. How could people rank the Wizards ahead of the Pistons? I know it is only one game but it sure looked real. That's ok. Let the Pistons stay under the radar.

Also, I am being conservative, but yes, I think very few teams will be able to handle the Piston front line now and going forward.

linwood likes this.