1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

WC Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Phoenix Suns

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 23, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Former teammates face off as rivals, as Steve Nash and the Suns face Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavs. Use this thread for your Phoenix-Dallas predictions, comments and questions.

Game 1: at Dallas, Wed., May 24 (8:30 p.m. ET, TNT)
    Game 2: at Dallas, Fri., May 26 (8:30 p.m. ET, TNT)
    Game 3: at Phoenix, Sun., May 28, (8:30 p.m. ET, TNT)
    Game 4: at Phoenix, Tue., May 30, (9 p.m. ET, TNT)
    Game 5: at Dallas, Thu., June 1 (8:30 p.m. ET, TNT)*
    Game 6: at Phoenix, Sat., June 3, (8:30 p.m. ET, TNT)*
    Game 7: at Dallas, Mon., June 5 (8:30 p.m. ET, TNT)*

*If necessary

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Phoenix Suns vs. Dallas Mavericks - WC Finals

This series sure has a couple of tough acts to follow! Here are a few sites to visit for series information:

SERIES LINKS:
    NBA.com
    ESPN.com
    Dallas News
    Arizona Republic

3. roscoe36

This is such a great series because the Mavericks have learned (some) defensive responsibility after spending years as a high scoring machine.

They also added role players to specifically combat teams like San Antonio in the trench wars.

The questions on my mind are,

Will the Suns fast break attack tease the Mavs players into resorting to the style of game they previously played?

and

What value are role players like Dampier, Diop and Griffin against an athletic lineup of passers? They certainly seem better suited to control the paint and play in the halfcourt.

The Suns stole one on the road. They now have homecourt in a building that gives them an enormous advantage.

As I listen on the radio, Dallas is playing with purpose and leading, but they already let the Suns draw first blood, and with Raja Bell set to comeback in a game or two, this series is far from over. And thankfully, it's really entertaining basketball. I plan to watch the replay tomorrow.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Suns leading at the half and up one game to none and stealing home court advantage. Miami and Detroit tied at one apiece with Miami holding home court advantage.

Suns and Heat...could be a very "HOT" finals. :flame:

(Let's hope not).

5. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

I am so looking forward to a Piston-Suns final though. Can Detroit win the game on the boards or will the speed of Phoenix's pick and roll, drive and dish offense pick them apart like every other team they have faced? It will be great basketball.

6. roscoe36

Suns came up short in the 4th, but have to feel very good about coming home with the advantage, and possible return of Bell. A couple of late stops (the likes of which Raja can provide) would have won them this game.

I too am anxious to see a Pistons/Suns Final. I think it will do wonders for the Pistons (national) image to go up and down with this team for 3 quarters, and then put on the clamps in the 4th.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

One of the most exciting games I've seen this season was Pistons vs Suns. I think it was the 5th game of the season and the Pistons were down 15 in the middle of the 3rd quarter, but they outshot Phoenix and won the game. We can't sleep on the mavs or Heat. Both series are tied.

8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

it's crazy what the Suns accomplish without their leading scorer/rebounder.
    It shows how good that freakin' Nash actually is and what a great job their GM is doing. Just ask yourself the question if one of the Pistons' starting 5 would miss all season- where would the team be???

9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

not to mention a coach who appears to be completely in synch with the capabilities of his players - the beauty of both the suns and pistons, each at their best, is in my opinion, the sense of complete harmony: every piece working in concert: from coach, to bench, to starters.

10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

How they get that cooperation among players is very different, in my opinion, which makes for an interesting contrast.

Detroit promises a chance to win and achieve collective goals if you play D and subjugate your ego, reconciling yourself to 5 guys playing an overwhelming share of the minutes.

Phoenix, on the other hand, will get you shots as a player. You'll join a team that lets you play the kind of game you wanted to play as a kid, and there are lots of buckets to go around. Defense isn't overlooked as much as critics might claim, but nobody's going Vince Lombardi on you. You're in a candy store, you'll look good, your price tag goes up.

It's Sparta versus Athens. Substance versus style. And, potentially, very revealing for the future.

Colangelo used his pull in the league to create an officiating climate that just so happens to favor Phoenix. Will the Finals remain the final barrier to that style, or is it time for the motto "Offense wins championships"?

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Beautiful. I love it. Keep up the good work.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Mavs up 3-2 now. Nowitzki with 50 and 12. Bigs ups to him for raising his game with gutsy inside play. Now we just have to saddle him with some kind of nasty German nickname to go with it -- The Kaiser, Der Komissar, Ol' Blood & Iron, The Big Luft Balloon, whatever.

13. roscoe36

GO SUNS!

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Lurch returned from the dead last night: 50 pts, 12 boards.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Only thing is Lurch was never as slow as Dirk is on defense.......:laugh:

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Tim Thomas would have blown a kiss at Lurch.

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Wow. 1 minute left in the first quarter of Game 6 here. 25-10.

Phoenix just blows my mind. I want Phoenix to win, now that we have no chance of winning the title. I like the idea of defying all these espn/tnt talking heads re "the suns can never win a title, because no defense."

Also I want to see Shaq trying to go back and forth on the court with this team. :laugh:

When I watch Steve Nash I feel like I'm watching performance art, like a maestro conducting a symphony. He's the bomb. And then seeing him continue to get into the lane and hit that sweet soft underhand shot. It's so...sweet.

I can only write these things because my beloved Pistons are no longer in the running.

But it would be very festive to watch Steve Nash get the Finals MVP trophy and a title now that we can't have any of the hardware.:hurt:

GO LITTLE STEVIE!

18. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

Here is the story of the game for you that missed it.

Dirk takes shots
    Dirk misses shots
    Dirk doesn't get the calls
    Dirk whines to the refs
    Cuban screams at the refs
    Dirk gets to the line
    Dirk makes free throws
    Suns lose.

I hope Miami is prepared for all those calls against them because the refs love Dirk (for no apparent reason at all)