WDFN 1130AM Flip Saunders Interview Nov 16 2006

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 17, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Flip on "Coach's Corner" With Mike Stone and Bob Wojnowski (Detroit News).

"the truth cannot be controversial...."

Attached Files:

2. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I arrived at Pistonsforum.com this morning to witness an unruly mob :pirates: gathered at the front entrance. People were milling about airing grievances :angrysoapbox: and brandishing strange and dangerous weapons. :starwars: As a scuffle broke out between black-clad mourners wailing "I want my bigbenback" :Cry: and a smaller group from the militant DHOF faction :crazy: I was struck in the head by a lemon. :dizzy2:

But that didn't stop me. When the whistle blows, I'm going to work. I slipped in the back door, grabbed the latest mp3, and I now present a summary of the 11/16 WDFN interview with Flip.

There was a lot of talk at the last season that the players were tired

When Terry Porter arrived as an assistant, one of the first things he heard from the players who had been here was they only cared about April, May, and June--it's very dangerous to think that, because there's a lot of work to do to get ready for the season

I don't think everyone came into the season in the kind of shape we needed to be in, and we're paying the price for it now

we haven't played well, and the sad thing is that the players who haven't played well as a group had been some of our core players, which you wouldn't expect

we're falling behind by so much at the start of games that the new guys who we're trying to integrate never get a chance to get into a rhythm

when you go to the bench in the second quarter down 12 or 14, every shot is a must-make shot, and that's a lot of pressure to put on the new guys

I told the guys after the game that the energy we had in the third quarter we should have had for all 48 minutes

even before I came here, this was a team that though they had the ability to "flip the switch"

guys are thinking too much instead of reacting, and they're half a step slow

we spend an hour on film today, and looked at things like missed assignments

this has been a team where guys know each other so well, guys could gamble because another guy would make up for his mistakes

the guy that helped a lot was Ben, and without him back there we have to work on becoming a more fundamentally sound team, and be more of a "black and white" team (clear assignments), and not as much of a "grey" team (gambling), especially on defense

I can't point the finger at one single guy who's struggling--our shooting has gotten better, but our identity is our defense, and we've got to get back to doing what we do best

we can still have that defensive identity without Ben, be we've got to change

some of these guys have played that one way for four years here, and now they have to learn that if you gamble on the perimeter and get burned, we might not have a guy who can block a shot, so you have to become more of self-contained defender

we're getting more aggressive on offense, but we have to become more consistent with defense, rebounding, blocking out, and protecting the paint

you can have four guys playing well and one guy breaks down, and the whole play looks bad, whether it's on defense or offense--that's what's going on right now

[discussion of Michigan-Ohio State]
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

This interview was Flip at his best, deflecting blame and saying nothing.

He still doesn't beleive he overplayed the players last year, and that they were tired.

And why didn't he get them in shape during pre-season? Pheonix benched Diaw because he was out of shape. Show some cahones.

It's not my fault, blame the players.

This was in response to whether he would make lineup changes. Answer being no, Flip will not change the lineup no matter how poorly the starters play or well the backups play.

It's not my fault, part II. My offense works, they simply won't execute.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Thanks for the recap and for braving the angry mob of Playstation 3 buyers and Flip haters.