WDFN 1130AM Flip Saunders Interview Nov 27 2007

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 28, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Flip Saunders, WDFN 1130 AM interview.

I hope you enjoy it. A lot. :D

`

Attached Files:

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Dude, I'm just numb at this point. I can't like this guy any less and he doesn't even make me angry anymore. It's like I've just given up.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm afraid to listen to it.

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

lol...it's not anything special. It's just more of the same BS and this guy never has any answers. Nevermind him going speechless on how great Lebron is.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Doing some catch up and once again Coe, thanks for the continuous updates.

Couple of interesting comments from Flip and my take:
    • The quickness or time between consecutive technicals, is directly related toward two possible circumstances: an obvious harassment out of proportion to the game situation (usually personal, with a bit of profanity) or a situational explanation bordering on too much logic thrown out to the refs. The latter usually means a comment from the coach that the collective calls are following group think. It would be nice to see further follow up from Stoney on asking what he said in the first and second comments (the exact comments). My favorite comment coming out of Larry Brown in these situations was his habit of saying: That's not fair! That's not fair! This of course, was his sly way of referencing decisions which were broad and directed not at a specific situation, but at a bias creating an unfavorable climate (wink, wink).
    • Also, there was another insight: that a gentleman's agreement (usually continuously reinforced down from the Commissioner) that a consistent dialog would be established from the refs (during the game) about justification levels concerning calls, that would be communicated directly to the coach. When this doesn't happen, a coach gets quickly frustrated (especially an even handed one like Flip). I would assume that a report is usually made directly to the Commissioner, (from the lead referee) about the circumstances leading to the coaches game rejection. Normally, I would give the sign to an assistant coach (or they would intuitively save me from myself) in vociferously objecting about the decisions of the refs. Someday, Stoney might put on an extended program with all the coaches on line and talk about how they normally (or abnormally, as the case may be) react (or want to react) toward certain game situations. It would be interesting to have a tight, scripted discussion about certain (past) game situations.
    • Good perception about Kirilenko. To beat the Jazz, this is the guy you have to stop. You should be able to pull him out of his game early (and it must be early) with some timely head games. There is only one guy on the Piston team which can get this done and that is Sheed. The best way to get Sheed from his insistent internalizing, would be to develop a stagecraft philosophy. Yea, I know, my nose is growing larger.
    • Interesting comments about Sheed (back to him again) and his style of mentoring Amir (Amur) and Cheick: the talking of experience of what needs to be done and what they are not doing. In other words, he is not afraid to criticize them. Obviously, this impresses Flip and well it should.

6. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanx 99. But he left with lots of voids.