WDFN 1130AM Will Blalock Interview Dec 11 2006

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Dec 11, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I transcribed this by hand, and omitted about a minute or so of what I thought was non-interesting stuff about Iowa State university and a question about how the Celtics can save their condemned souls.

Interview is from the Off the Court segment on WDFN, by Matt Dery the sports director.

MD: Will, appreciate you taking some time. Certainly for you, you've got to be licking your chops a little bit, as a rookie, getting an opportunity, last pick in the draft, not only making the team but now being on the active roster, with Lindsey Hunter going down, and you being out there, your mind set changes when you come to the arena, night after night doesn't it?

WB: Yeah, it has to. Now with my routine I used to just look at it as my chance to, like my big moment when I came outta college, but at the same time, I'm on a great team and I realize have to be patient with it and it's very unfortunate that Lindsey Hunter got hurt, but like you said, it gives me an opportunity to see if I can get in there and get my feet wet a little bit.

MD: What has Flip Saunders told you now that you've been active, maybe differently or is it the same type of thing, "When we call on you, be ready."?

WB: Exactly. Just the same story, just when I am called upon, be ready. I've been more active even in practice and as far as scrimmages in practice, like even today, and hopefully things are looking really well right now.

MD: Team's playing better Will, the win I was talking about Friday night in Orlando, you guys go in there and pretty much dominate the 4th quarter, you outscore them by 5, you win by 4.There a sense in that locker room right now that you guys have turned the corner from that 3-5 start? Or do you feel like, hey, we can play even better than this?

WB: You always look for room for improvement, we can always play better, but we have been playing great basketball, just like you said, and the last couple games, we have a good veteran crew, and have that sense of urgency, especially on the road, to really get things done and protect the home court. Guys are just so used to going on long stretches, like the playoffs, so I am sure it is kinda hard for them, to focus all the way in on the first 20 games, they've been going to the playoffs, the last 5, 6 years, and going to the Eastern Conference Finals, so I can understand how their mind set can play a major role in our season.

MD: Is there one guy who has taken you under his wing? I know you and I talked during the preseason a little bit about Chauncey Billups helping you out.It's got to be a great situation for you, learning from such a veteran group of guys.

WB: Definitely. He's really taken me under his wing, even activities on and off the court, just having me mature, I have no choice but to get better every day. Learning from him, an NBA All-Star, and then with Lindsey, even though he is hurt, he's giving me advice on a daily basis as far as how to handle myself in different situations on the court.

MD: What is the biggest transition for you, playing in Ames (Iowa), and you were a junior, decided to come out early, and now being in the NBA, what has been the biggest adjustment from the college game?

WB: All of the travelling and games. It's overwhelming at first. I'd be a liar if I didn't say it was overwhelming at first. One minute you are practicing, the next minute you are in another city, and you gotta play, and then you fly right out. It's the same thing over and over. It's overwhelming at first.

MD: What is the most overwhelming part of the travel? Going city to city, your schedule has not been all that favourable, is there something that sticks out to you, or are you loving the fact that you're flying on that team plane, and the 5 star hotels aren't bad.

WB: The actual living part is not bad, as far as staying in the best hotels, top of the line, the arenas, all that stuff is great, but when you gotta play one game, and then you fly out to another city, like say in California where the time zone is different, your sleeping patterns... it's overwhelming at first. It's something that you really have a hard time adjusting to when you are a young guy coming straight out of college.

MD: Flip Murray is a guy who was brought in here to kinda play the 1, play the 2. He's had to log some minutes now at point guard with Lindsey out, how much have you guys talked, there was an article in the Detroit News about Flip, he's got a 2 year deal but he can opt out of the second year, how happy do you think he is? We talked to him last week and he seems pretty happy with his role, but you're a guy who is a point guard first and got an opportunity in the preseason, and now he's playing that backup role. What have you guys talked about over the last week or so?

WB We talk about a whole lot of stuff both on and off the court. We haven't really talked about our roles, my being a pass first point guard and his being a point guard and a scorer, he has the combination to do both things. I knew that going into this that he's there, Chauncey's there, Lindsey's there and I already knew that. I just had to be patient, be ready and wait my turn. I knew going into it before they even picked me, before I even got my contract, I knew going into it that I had to be patient with the situation I am in. I'm just happy for the opportunity. I'm not stressing that I'm not playing and he is playing backup minutes, that's not really a concern for me at this point of my career.

MD: I thought you played very well in that game against Minnesota, especially in Grand Rapids, earlier in the preseason. You controlled tempo both in the second and fourth quarters when you were out there. Did you feel that walking away from that game, even though it was a preseason game that 'Wow, i just performed at the NBA level?" That was clearly your best game in the preseason.

WB: It was good at first. Then I realized I got my bumps and bruises against Denver, when I had to play against Earl Boykins. I really didn't play so well and had to go back to the archives, and pick out some things that I did wrong.

MD: I was going to ask you about that, because I remember that the next game against Denver, you had said after the Minnesota game that your Dad would call you after two turnovers or three turnovers a game in college, and in the game against Denver, Boykins kinda took you to school.

WB: Yeah, he did. He's a real tough cover. I have to admit that. I always looked at him on TV the last couple of years and how is he performing so well at his height? At the end of the day, that height stuff it really means nothing and when it comes to him, he's really good.

MD: There is all of this controversy in Philly, the Iverson rumours, how much have you guys talked about AI in the locker room? I don't think he is coming here, but things like that pop up, did you guys talk about that today?

WB: We always watch Sportscenter right after practice or shoot around, we talk about it every now and then, but not a really big concern about maybe him coming here but places he might go and stuff like that, where would he fit in as far as, like if he had to play alongside somebody Paul Pierce, like if he went to Boston, who would get the last shot if there is 5 seconds left, Iverson or Pierce. Just stuff like that.

MD: You're from Boston. Did you grow up a Celtic fan?

WB: Yeah, I did. I was a die-hard Celtic fan.

~~ skipping some uninteresting fluff about the Celts ~~

MD: Was that cool for you going back there this year?

WB: Yeah, that was really nice. I got to see a lot of my family, it felt good to actually be in an arena knowing that I'm on an NBA team. That's like a lifelong dream for any kid that grew up in the inner city in Boston. Definitely. I feel like I am living a dream, not only for me, but for every kid I grew up with.

~~ skipping Iowa State stuff ~~

MD: Were you disappointed on draft night that you didn't go higher or were you alright with it?

WB: I was fine with it. But after you have a thousand people telling you that you'll go here, or you'll go there but when I ended up here (Detroit) people don't realize how happy I was being on a championship caliber team. I would have been happy to go higher, say like Boston, but I wouldn't be as happy as I am right now.

MD: Will, appreciate the time. Good luck, hope to see you out there Wednesday night at Indiana.

WB: Alright. Cross your fingers for me.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks for the interview Roscoe (let's just say he went to gr8 lengths to pull this together)...
    Gotta luv Will's attitude... I feel good about this kid... there's something there.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Wow, nice job Roscoe. You really have put alot of work into this. I hope your 3 point efficiency doesn't suffer!

:)

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I'm starting to get some hope about the future. Next year, Joe re-signs CB, lets Flip (both of em) go, and drafts a decent bigman.

We then have the core, Nazr replacement, and off the bench, Blaylock, Delfino, JMax, and Amir. A nice combo of youth and experience.

5. roscoe36

Btw, it doesn't look like Matt used any of the questions (I snuck in two) that were sent. But I do think he gave us a lot of insight into who Will Blalock is, and what his attitude is all about.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice work Roscoe! Man, an effort like that from CB would have him in bed for weeks!

7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Watch your back CB. You turn an ankle and bam, It`s the WB.............in your spot...................

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting stuff. Thanks for typing / getting it posted.

9. roscoe36

Matt emailed me back last night after midnight. He missed our questions email so maybe we can hit him up next time around. I think he has the brahma in next week.