We Have Failed Miserably at Developing Young Talent/It Will Come Back to Bite Us

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Nov 10, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Just wrong, Lakers made an effort to get Luke Walton into the games, even though he sucked, during the last year of Shaq and Kobe, and now look at how Luke is playing.

Dallas, which has been competitive has found time for 3 rooks over the past few years, Marquis Daniels, Josh Howard, and Devin Harris.

San Antonio found time for Beno.

And Joe's picks werent busts, they were just busts with us. It's amazing how much better these kids get, once they get out of Detroit.

2. max

max All-Star

What is this developing youth? I thought you are supposed to go out and sign vets to play the same positions as the guys you draft. Any significant PT is supposed to come after a minimum of 5 years in the league no matter what - right?

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm much more interested in the current and future instead of revisiting past sins.
    Not sure how anyone can be terribly dissapointed in youth PT this year... maybe Amir could play more... if Sheed keeps throwing up goose eggs then we could be moving towards full rebuild mode.... we'll be pining for the days when we actually had a chance at the playoffs... then won't we be happy with all the youth at the same time.

4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

you don't need significant minutes to develop. starting off with 5 - 7 minutes can be enough. but just having your young players rack up dnpcd's doesn't help at all.

dude. bynum was 3rd string until mihm and kwame brown got hurt. he may have earned it but he wasn't getting it. bynum is being handled correctly that's why he's doing better as a young player than what we saw from darko in his garbage time era. bynum is development done right.
    first 4 years. still on your rookie contract.

5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I seem to remember Walton playing against the Pistons just about every game while he has been with the Lakers. I might be wrong, but I think I remember him having at least so-so games. And even now, I would rather have Darko on my team than Walton. Imagine if DMC had had the benefit of just a little steady PT for these 3 years.

Well, I can imagine it, anyway.

The position I have held from my first posts with these forums is that 4 or 5 minutes a game, maybe 5-7, will not cost victories and we have paid for not using the rookies before now. We paid during the post-season games during those 4 trips deep into the playoffs.

It is just more noticable now.

6. bball jay

lindsey should not be touching the court. jmax should never get a dnp. delfino should be playing more than flip murray. it is also not so much how much playing time the youth gets it's when they get it. the bench has made runs for us but weren't allowed to keep it going. flip felt the need to have the starters back in.

our past sins are why we are going through what we are going through now. we do not want to repeat those. if we had played darko, arroyo, okur, delfino they would be coming into thier own for us right now instead of for other teams. the only one left out of that bunch is delfino and we still aren't utilizing him correctly.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Wanna gaurantee the 04 Ship with a bunch of young guys getting significant PT?... my money would be on NO WAY

8. bball jay

as i've said before the playing time didn't have to be significant. during the 04 championship year only okur and darko were here i believe. i will guarantee that we would have won the 05 championship if we had kept okur instead of sheed while playing darko, arroyo and fino during the year.

we didn't need them to make significant impacts on games either. i'd say having darko able to play 3 minutes during game 7 of the san antonio series could have won us the championship.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

We're talking 05 on cuz we lost those guys to FA. Its how we tried to repair our bench after that that we are dealing with now.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This reminds me of a Gary Wright song

11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

In "04, does anyone doubt that we would have won the rings even if we played DMC for 3 or 4 minutes a game, unless of course, he earned more by his play during those games?

And with Okur and Darko playing, maybe more than one set of rings would have been the result.

Who knows, I was certainly glad to see how the Pistons reacted after Sheed got here because we were not taking advantage of our talents, fully, before that. But I think that Okur and Darko would have been very significant in "05 and maybe we would have won more rings.

There is no going back and none of us know what would have happened. But the fact is, the Pistons DID win in "04.

12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Lok at the Hawks, they are a young/veteran team who struggled mightily the last few years. Thier team was so young, I think they were all wearing pampers.

I know it is only the first couple of weeks of the season, but Woodson has those young boys playing some serious basketball.

The thing that I hate the most, I was all for having Memo traded, getting rid of Smush Parker, and some others. I hate when these guys go to other teams and blow up.

The Pistons organization doesn't have much patience.

Our current Pistons team scares the &%$%@ out of me.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Smush Parker is NOT a good basketball player people.

Just because he went to a team with no decent PG and got minutes, should not be misconstrued as his "coming of age".

He's undisciplined, he relies too much on his athletcism and his bball IQ is very low.

Jordan Farmar will have his job by the All-Star break.

14. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Exactly. That's the "Win Later" club for ya. Those cats cried all the way to the championship cause we didn't play their guys. Of course it is EXTREMELY difficult for them to admit that Darko in particular didn't earn ANY minutes. He got schooled by Peter John Ramos for cryin out loud! Not to mention Boniface N'dong in the SL.

In any event I'm all for looking ahead. The Darko debacle must have inflicted wounds on those cats deeper than even I thought. They would gladly trade a ring and a couple of visits to the finals for the opportunity to see a bust "assume good defensive position."

15. Mad Hatter

Have no fear ArmyGirl! Dem Hawks ain't smelled the playoffs in our lifetime, it seems like. It's always heart-wrenching to see young fellas playing well while our guys are struggling. But I wouldn't trade places a-tall. Somma those youngsters will bolt as soon as their contract allows them. Most of em would prefer to play for a team with a winning tradition. They know what time it is.

Think of teams who play young players as our "farm system." NBA champions aren't built on the draft anyway.

16. bball jay

you always point out that smush isn't good. no he isn't great but he started for a playoff team when all we needed him to do was give chauncey 10 minutes of rest. smush was and is good enough to do that.

17. bball jay

he also played kg very well in meaningful minutes just last night. thats why we were calling for darko to get some playing time. the win later club only likes to point out darko during garbage time. in meaningful minutes he's been really good against good competition. ask kg, yao, gasol.

there were no minutes on the pistons to "earn" i see you are still fooled. how did delk, arroyo, davis, mo evans "earn" minutes???

you guys have gladly traded a dynasty for 1 ring because you didn't want to develop youth. you try to convince yourself that "earning it" was more important that winning. it was better to give darvin ham, dale davis, mo evans minutes than to develop our own. if we had developed darko we wouldn't be just making visits to the finals we would be winning them.

18. bball jay

tell miami, san antonio, los angeles that. wade, haslem, duncan, robinson, kobe, ginobli, tony parker. they aren't built on the draft alone but it is a huge part of contending for a decade instead of having a 2 year window.

19. Mad Hatter

I knew you would wait until he had a half-way decent game and then loudly proclaim "look...I told ya he could do it." I never questioned Darko's talent. Just his gumption. So he got minutes on a lottery dweller who could afford to play him cause they weren't going anywhere anyway. I'm happy for him. Just hope D Howard don't bolt cause if he does...it's back to the bottom of the lottery for Orlando. Darko (without D-Howard) ain't enough.

Yep that ring WAS fun wazn't it? BTW, how do you define a dynasty in present day NBA terms? Is SA a "dynasty?" Further, you tryin to tell me that if we had kept Darko, we wouldn't be sub .500 right now? That Darko (of all people) would light a fire under our collective arses? Boy...you REALLY have a vivid imagination!

One thing I think we can agree on. You have to FIRST win a ring to even be spoken of in the same sentence as a "dynasty." We are positioned for that. Is Orlando?

20. bball jay

isn't it weird that a team that wasn't going anywhere arguably the hottest team in the nba once darko and arroyo arrived?? they could have did that for us. we could have afforded to play him too.

i'm telling you that if we had kept darko we'd be nba champs. wearing championship belts to the chicago game so ben could be pissed he didn't get one. i'm telling you we would be well above .500 and lindsey would be retired somewhere in the front office. nazr would be in san antonio and darko and jmax would be coming off the bench causing all kinds of havoc on the league.