We Have Failed Miserably at Developing Young Talent/It Will Come Back to Bite Us

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Nov 10, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great point. Amir has shown signs of being a GREAT player whenever he has received decent playing time.

Remember last season when he had 18 points in 18 minutes? 18 points is more than Darko's career high of 16.
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Points well taken. I agree. Larry did show a dislike for Darko. I wonder why he disliked him so much. Kinda odd. I guess we'll never know.
  3. MotownPride

Most interesting thing about the Darko enthusiast debate.... No one from the DHOF side can explain why such a supposedly great player has yet to have a breakout game. We see it happen with limited minutes from bench guys all the time across the league. Its the type of thing sleepers are built from. A string of awesome games is normally what it takes to break into the starting lineup. Complete domination of the second stringers projects these players into a more significant role. The type of game play where the 48 min stats are astronomical. Why hasn't Darko been able to follow this model? Even with minutes. He's seems to only play average regardless of the level of competition. Darko's numbers don't support his assumed potential. They aren't outstanding, merely average.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[HINT]

Rickey Paulding wears #6.

We failed to develop him too.
  5. max

max All-Star

What about the pre-season? I can't find the stats but I know he shot around 80% from the field. Everyone talks about how Maxiel earned PT from the pre-season, so did Amir.

Its either an age thing or the Pistons are trying to keep Amir under the radar until they can extend him on the cheap as you pointed out last week. Its a dangerous game though. You do run the risk of a disgruntled player because Amir clearly has been playing by the rules and has rightly earned some PT.
  6. MotownPride

At this point, based on the reputation Detroit has built for itself, you'd have to say that they would need to go out of there way to insure that Amir stays. No player in their right mind would depend on Detroit investing in them if they are young. We need to back up our claims with playing time and an early re-negotiated contract.
  7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i disagree on that. amir has played basketball in the nbdl. darko has been rotting on a bench for 2.5 years. if most of the time you get to play it has been 3 weeks since you played you won't look too good. i agree that amir has shown talent but i wouldn't say he's shown more progress and talent than darko. i will say that he is more aggressive. amir is great around the basket free throw line in he's probably going to make it.

darko will never be a high point scorer in my opinion. he's too unselfish. some people laughed when i called him a 7' ak47. darko will have above average assists for a big man, he willll block some shots, alter a lot more, he will rebound, he can bring it up the court for pressure relief, he can shoot inside, he can take it inside. darko does have one star quality in that he makes other players on the court better.

but this still strenghtens my point that there are no minutes to "earn" on the pistons. jmax should never get a dnp and amir should be getting a few minutes here and there based on the performances of our other big men.

see what i wrote up above. if you are looking for lots of stats to define a breakout game then sorry b. hill may need to get fired for that. b. hill played him with d. howard and they were great together. b. hill also has played darko exclusively in the paint. darko can't use his full skill set so that may have something to do with his numbers.

darko isn't a high point scorer he is too unselfish. he will however fill up the stat sheet. he isn't great yet at one thing except shot blocking. he's really good at everything though. maybe he needs to play against ben wallace that's who all the young big men were having thier breakout games against last year.
  8. MotownPride

Like I said, still no real response as to why he has yet to have a big game with limited or bigger minutes. Other players can do it, but Darko can't. The AK47 arguement is a weak one because, well, Ak47's defensive numbers are astounding and Darko's isn't. He's put up some impressive stats in one game with Rebounds, steals and blocks. Never seen a great line from Darko like that. Oh yeah, I think Darko is a horrible rebounder.

If Darko were going to have a huge game I think it would have happened by now. BTW, Darko makes other people look better because well, anytime he's on the court the other players can't help but look good. lol.
  9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Larry wants what Larry wants, and when he didn't get Carmello, he took it out on Darko.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

2nd game of the season: 11 pts, 5-6 shooting, 6 boards in 14 minutes.
  11. max

max All-Star

I am not saying Amir need to be thrown into the rotation. Before the pre-season Amir said his goal was to play at least 200 minutes this season. Based on his pre-season that should be doubled. 400 mins works out to 5 MPG. Thats not a lot to ask to keep him happy.

A lot will also be said for how Maxiel and Delfino are treated this season as well. So far both have been playing.

bball - I don't care about Darko. Blowing the #2 pick was one of the biggest blunders in franchise history. Its irrelevent how Darko does because all we can get for that #2 at this point is whatever pick Orlando has to surrender.
  12. MotownPride

That's not a big game. Sorry. Maybe with some more time it has the makings for a big game, but alas it didn't happen.

11 points and 6 boards doesn't impress me. I've seen alot better. A double double would have been nice.

Average.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A good argument would have been that he couldn't sustain it, but come on... how much more productive can you be in the 14 minutes alloted? On pace for 33 points, 18 rebounds for a 40 minute stretch! That would make one the most dominant center in the NBA.

You're saying that you aren't impressed b/c he wasn't on pace for 30 rebounds?

The guy that started in front of Darko tonight had a big old bagel in the points column... and the assists, steals, and blocks columns as well.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Here's what I see......Our front court is slow as HELL. Dyess and Sheed are showing their age. Now Max and Amir are a helluva alot quicker, but they're slower in the brain part of the game. Max and Amir can get to the spots quicker on defense, they just don't really know where they're suppossed to be.

For the record no other team (that was a legit contender) has DEVELOPED their youth better than us, the youth on their team was just better than ours. Hell yeah you're gonna play guys like Ginobli and Tony Parker, you know why........CAUSE THEY CAN BALL, and they showed that the moment that they hit the floor, they had unquestionable, undisputable, G-A-M-E. We can't say the same, except maybe for Delfino, but he got hurt, then he got pissed, then Joe and LB got pissed and it was just an F'd up situation. Had Delfino not gotten hurt in his rookie season, it would have been a totally different situation.
  15. MotownPride

The on pace deal...is a highly overated concept. In fact, rarely do per 48 min stats translate into actual stats when time is actually awarded. Kendrick Perkins per 48 min stats his rookie year dwarfed Darko's current stats. I'm definitely not willing to call Perkins an all-star in the making. 48 min stats don't take into account stamina, the ability to adjust to the defense playing you differently over time and the concept of staying out of foul trouble. They are simply an indicator of what could be. Not what is. Your not going to impress me on "what could have possibly been" thoughts. I'm more concerned about what he has actually done. Sorry. Not impressed. If I'm Orlando I don't see any prevailing reason to start him.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was using 40, not 48 minute stats.

All I'm saying is that you will probably never be impressed by someone's 14 minute stats. It is very difficult to put up a double double in 14 minutes.

If you are a player, what can you do besides produce in your time on the floor? Are you impressed by the stats of the guy who is starting in front of him?
  17. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

If they guy ahead of him on the depth chart is so inept at filling up a box score, then perhaps the logical conclusion is that there's more to it than filling up a box score.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It must be another conspiracy to hold bambi... er Darko back... bunch of meannie coaches out there that hate Serbs I tell ya :^)
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

In washington last year, they tried bringing Caron Butler off the bench and he was inconsistent but according to the fans, better than Jeffries. It wasn't until late Dec. that the switch was made and Caron took off. So I'm thinking depth chart changes happen a lot slower than fans want...but it'll work out in the end.
  20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

letting ben walk for absolutely nothing was the biggest blunder in franchise history. actually trading away darko + arroyo to keep ben happy then not getting the deal done with ben. trusting ben was the biggest blunder in franchise history.