We Have Failed Miserably at Developing Young Talent/It Will Come Back to Bite Us

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Nov 10, 2006.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yes. this was proven a while back on the pistons. look up # 12 from the teal era.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Pistons had to trade Darko. He was planning to run away from the team and fly back to Serbia.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Would you say Kevin McHale & Robert Parrish together would be worse than Darko or Ben... that trade (these two draft picks) for a washed up McAdoo was the worse blunder in our history.

Considering we traded Otis Thorpe to get DMC softens the blow some.
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Flip is saying that his starters are a step slow and are essentially out of shape and trying to work themselves into game shape. What the @#%% did they do all summer?

If this is the case, let the young ones start, give them a few minutes and bring the tired ones off the bench.
  5. roscoe36

Flip says a lot of stuff that doesn't add up. It's like Joe D trying to sell that the team struggles are because they are developing a bench.

The bench is outplaying the starters Joe. Get real.
  6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Right on, roscoe. Isn't it strange the way some things work out :hoops: !!!
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is a No excuse zone... excuses will be disintegrated:deathstar1:
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Or do something unthinkable... whatever that would have been. I assume that it would have been like that scene from Full Metal Jacket. LB would have been the Sarge.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Ever since the guy said that the only way to beat miami was with a Center who can score, I've never bothered with a word he said.
  10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Amen Roscoe, Amen, Brother, now let the whole church say AMEN
  11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

You are absolutely right. I will never be impressed with 14 minute stats.

As far as the guy in front of him. He doesn't impress me either, but like was said before, this is the second time Darko has not been able to get significant minutes, so what gives?
  12. roscoe36

Orlando can't afford to have Darko blow up. For serious.

If Darko blows up, and they didn't get the extension done, it is possible that someone gives him the deal he is looking for in FA. Think Tyson Chandler and Sam Dalembert, two young athletic big men with the same agent.

I honestly believe that teams play these games, hiding players and limiting their PT/exposure/marketing to keep their open market value from booming.

Maybe I am crazy. If I am, then the Pistons are guilty of negligence with their player development. In the meanwhile, I will try to believe that they are playing a conservative game to keep their options open and their chequebook in the black.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just think that the same argument would have worked with Curry over Prince when Tay wasn't getting the playing time he wanted. The guy in front of him was a vet with a good attitude that provided intangibles, yadda yadda yadda. There comes a time when you gotta put your best players on the floor.

Can we all agree that the Magic are not going to win a championship this year with Battie getting the majority of the minutes? So what is the point in keeping it up.

I'm really just arguing out of principal. I think what is probably happening is that Hill is trying to gradually increase Darko's minutes and is already planning on transitioning him into the starting lineup. He just doesn't want to rock the boat and insult Battie or put undue pressure on the Serb. I actually think that I would do the same thing if I were coach. I would also sit Grant Hill out on the 2nd game of every back-to-back, which he is also doing.
  14. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I agree, tayshaun. I wrote on the other forum much the same thing. I have no problem with DMC coming off the bench, but his minutes have to grow and gradually surpass those of Tony.

And I would bench Grant as he is doing and maybe even a little more. My reason would be that with Grant's history of health problems, I would like the team to be able to play with him but also without him. The more they do both the better I would like it because they would be used to having it both ways. They did fine last year in that last 25 games, but I have senses times this year when they played a little below par because they were busy appreciating Grant's skills, and just stood around.

And I agree that Darko should be starting soon because, as you say, "Put your best players on the floor". Since Darko has gotten over his injury, he has been clearly outplaying Tony, and when he is in along side Dwight, they kick-butt.

Sorry to be so excited, the rest of you guys. That is the advantage of following two teams.

Have fun out there :cheerleader: :party2: !!
  15. max

max All-Star

Yes Joe has not been looking steller lately. But we still don't know how things will pan out.
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

A whole lotta excuses going around except for the truth: Flip's offense doesn't work, he doesn't have the team prepared, Murray is not a point, and the guys playing the best right now: Delfino, JMax, and Amir in spot minutes. Yet those guys have zero chance of earning more minutes.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

My pet Darko/minutes theory is that the kid can't concentrate for more than 5 minutes at a time. I watched the Sonics vs. Magic game in which Darko scored 2 points, grabbed 6 boards, and fouled out of the game in 15 minutes. The Sonics don't have a front court. At all. Their 3rd rate starter is out for the season and their 1st round draft pick is in the NBDL.

Darko lacks serious concentration. He took some jumpers, bit on almost everything going toward the basket, stood in the wrong place, and grabbed a few boards that came his way.

It's not that he doesn't have skills, it's that his skills don't matter, because his head isn't in the game most of the time. I'm sure all Pistons fans remember the footage of Darko watching the Donut vs. the Coffee on Palace Vision during a team huddle.

When the Serbian Ganster has those moments where he blocks lots of shots, or seems effective against Kevin Garnett, or ***chuckle***abuses Ben Wallace, it's like the Rainman counting all those toothpicks. Neat to watch, but not very useful in a day to day or game to game situation.
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Shhhhhh :sssh: lest you offend some of 'us' :nerd2:
  19. max

max All-Star

I agree with you on Murry playing the point. He did ok for a couple of games but overall he is not a smart enough passer nor can he handle the ball well enough. They are trying to develope him into a point which has costed us in the losses.

Yes Maxiel needs to play more. With how Dyess have been playing Maxiel should be given a chance at some extra mins. Not sure if Delfino has been playing great but he does need to be out there more. Give us one hack vet , like Murry, and he will play over any young guy on the bench seems to be the continuing theme.
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Which makes me wonder...what would Larry do? ;)