1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

We just signed Ben back

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Aug 7, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I knew you would be happy.

Now where is my other Asian brother, Master Chen? He will be jumping to the moon!

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I admit, even though I knew we would be overpaying for declining years, I was in favor of matching Chicago's offer for Ben.

It's nice to have Ben back.

Hopefully NFZ bands and Fro's to be Feared will once again fill the Palace stands on opening day.

Welcome back to where you belong (and where you were always meant to be) Mr. Wallace.

3. lifeondumars

lifeondumars Second Round Draft Pick

I still am sour about how Ben went out. Quarreling with Flip, refusing to re-enter a game, %%%%%ing about not getting the ball enough, it goes on and on. His bigheaded-ness was and still is a major turn off. He's not the kind of player you bring in to be a mentor for the younger guys. Actual mentors and leaders are guys like Lindsey Hunter, Chauncey billups, etc, not some has been who just wants to prolong his career another year to get back on some fans' good side.

4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good morning and regards to JZ, wish the typhoone MORAKOT is far from your location and do no affection.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Whatever, hater. :stirthepot:

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Gotta still make all the right moves this season.

-Stuckey handing over the #3 jersey at center court first night.
    -Big Ben getting the standing O just before tip off.
    -Hamilton and Prince bringing back their "A" games.
    -Ben Wallace and Flip Saunders hugging before we play the Wiz.

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Let's not get carried away :D

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How about all the fans wearing afro wigs the first game to welcome Big Ben back and then skinheads and head bands the second game to welcome CV? Not sure what we do for little Ben though:confused:

9. coynejeremy

How about we wear t-shirts that say "-etroit"? :MusicBigGrin::stirthepot:

10. lifeondumars

lifeondumars Second Round Draft Pick

Sorry, but truth hurts.

This move was made to sell TIX and very little else.

11. coynejeremy

I wouldn't call fake Afro wigs and red plastic glasses "very little".:MusicBigGrin:

12. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

Oh nice one, I didn't think about that, I can wear by Big Ben jersey again with pride :)

13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Three months doesn't make a difference, but three years might. A lot has changed from the administrative, league and player's perspective. A new realism has surfaced and the bottom of the well has little water surface left.

This was a very good low-risk move by JD. Here are the major benefits that I suspect will help the Pistons:
    • Coming back to Detroit will be a big boost for Ben. He will be overwhelmingly accepted, as he should be. This is a modified leadership role that will be filled by him. In a sense, it is thrusted upon him; which will make it palatable to everyone except those who can't accept our human nature. Historically, his acceptance as hard work for an unknown something, took on a special courage for "top-of-the-morning-working class". This type of stature has always remained hidden, since going to work has its own internal satisfaction that gives a quiet dignity of personal presence.
    • He has been humbled. It happens to us all. I have no doubt some heavy conversations went on between JD and him. The role of back-up, with appropriate minutes, will not be an issue. Likewise, the coaching aspect will not be a distraction since that particular occurrence will slide over to some other player mentalities. His role will be behind the scenes toughness, that only he can bring. It's a natural for him; so he has little pressure to out perform himself or anyone else.
    • He will bring a mentorship stature that will express itself through doing and not verbal gymnastics or expressions via (modern day communication) tweets. It is this modification of seriousness revolving around pre-game and post-game reactions that will give added insights (we hope) toward the younger players.
    • He will bring and not take away, (on a ratio of 10:1) quality performance as expectedness. Michigan (soon to be joined in a much serious dimension by the rest of the nation) is reeling from an happenstance due to media\leadership propaganda that has left human cultural scale behind the shield of everything for a price. Ben has a chance to make many things visible and a change atonement for himself as a tune-up. In an age of mechanical rust, the tune-up is not a new technological lifeline; but the practical reality of merely hitting the right lubrication points to finish the race. If anyone can do it, he can. And when he is done, will most likely bring many with him.
    We are all spectators. And it occurred to me there is no manual that deals with the real business of motorcycle maintenance; the most important aspect of all. Caring about what you are doing is considered either unimportant or taken for granted.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

10 bucks says Ben starts at and/or plays 30 minutes at some point this season . . .

And they aren't going to be "pity or rep" minutes. If healthy, he's still got something left.

It is ironic that we are bringing back one of the greatest defensive players in Piston history when we've assembled a largely offensive team.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We had Ben before the ego and after the ego. Also, we skipped the most expensive and least productive period of his career. I can't say it was genius because we didn't get it done without him, but it was sort of well played by him and us.

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I would agree, but Piston's Ben Wallace is largely different than Chicago's Ben Wallace. It's fair to ask if the decline would have been as sharp and drastic here.

Also on Ben's part, it seems ideal (money, get to come back to DET, etc), but he took a big hit rep wise, ego wise, and looked largely unhappy. Granted, 60 million can make those things not matter . . .

edited to add;

On a side note Rip must be thrilled. He's probably baking Ben welcome home muffins LOL

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There was nothing really strange about Ben's decline. I think it is fair to assume it would have been similar anywhere that he was. He got older, racked up a few injuries, and couldn't rely on shooting touch like a Sheed.

Ideally, he has fully recovered from the actual injuries and we can get the old Ben back in short stints. With no more than 15 mpg, it would be fun to see what he can do. Also, with no fear of foul trouble, he can be more aggressive.

18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He did for Iverson. I don't see why he wouldn't for Ben.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Huh? Iverson got CB's #

20. coynejeremy

Stuckey was reportedly willing to give Iverson his number, but league rules prevented him from changing his number after a season starts.