We must get bigger and acquire a shooter

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 27, 2005.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Even though the Pistons are playing very, very well. I believe we have to make a run at getting another big man and a pure shooter, someone who can play serious defense and shoot the lights out on demand.

For those of you who have league pass, (don't shoot the messenger), did anyone see the Memphis/Miami game in which Jake Tskalidis played a helluva game against Shaq. JT is a huge mass, Shaq could not push, pull or shake him. We don't need JT to be an offensive presence, just someone who could come of the bench to dispel some of our bigs.

With this said, we must trade Darko, Jerry West likes big raw guys, after all he would have gotten Darko if not for the Thorpe deal.

If Joe has no plans for Darko, I really hope that he is looking for that pure shooter/big man combo before the trade deadline.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

Getting Jake from Memphis is not a bad idea. That would give us, as you say, that extra big to address Shaq. But big Jake ain't going to guard Duncan for us. So we still need to keep Darko until you find a 4th big who can help out with Duncan besides Darko.

As for finding a guy who is both a lock down defender and a pure shooter, that is a tall order indeed. Let me know just who you have in mind. It might be more realistic though to look for two players, one who can shoot, one who can defend.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But then you need to drop 2 players. Most likely Darko and Acker.

That means that we would give up a big defensive presense (with youth and potential) as well as a pure shooter for... a big defensive presense and a pure shooter (just not a rookie).

Spree is probably the easiest target to get, but the cost/benefit analysis does not look good on that one.

What about Jalen? Someone may have proved that it is impossible, but I don't remember.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think Joe is going to make any moves. Just my opinion.

If he was going to make a move, the guys I could see leaving are Evans, Darko, Davis and possibly Delfino.

DMC youth and potential? If it doesn't realize itself in the next 2 months, you can forget any kind of playoff relief or impact. Big men take time to develop and the Serbian Gangster is behind the curve already.

I think it laughable that lee suggests that Darko is the cover guy for Duncan. Either lee has forgotten what a special and franchise type player Duncan is, or he sees something in Darko beyond shotblocking and physical statistics. Sheed does such a good job one on one with the premier PFs on the low and high blocks because he is widely considered a top 3 defensive PF. That takes skill, experience and intangibles. If height was everything, Shawn Bradley would have been a 3 time All-Star and Olympian. You can't gain Sheed's ability in 20 MPG during less than a season. Rasheed's got years of playing at an elite level both in college, regular season and playoffs.

Acker is curious because Joe has to pick up his contract in January AFAIK and that makes me wonder how solid his position is with the squad.

Jalen Rose is out of the picture. He's making big money. It would take DMC and Dice to even get close. Is he worth it? I watch Jalen play every second T.O. game and he lacks defensive effort. He could be a good spot scorer and can play the point, but if his shot isn't falling, I can't see him making a contribution playmaking, rebounding or defending. Just my opinion.

Kinda funny we are talking about a shooter. I saw a telephone interview on NBATV with Tracy Murray during the weekend. He's playing in Greece now. That's the type of low budget player the Pistons need to add. A vet with a knack for nailing the long stroke.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not laughable at all

Darko is also very quick as well as tall. And has good ups. Absolutely he needs experience. Sounds like we are on the exact same page, same sentence, same word, same letter. The more experience Darko gets, the better the Detroit Pistons will be for it.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sorry ArmyG, those are dream needs. Then we bring in new bench guys and we are right back were we started. Developing a new bench. This big/shooter would have to make a serious money sacrifice. Cause he aint getting any of our starter money. Locked up by the best starting 5.

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Agreed. It would be interesting if Joe made a move but there's not much reason to think he will.

Bigger isn't needed, IMHO. A creative midrange scorer is, to ignite our second unit. Tracy Murray was always a bit too stationary for my tastes. What about Jimmy Jackson? His stats look terrible this year, but he certainly seemed to have something left in his tank the last couple of seasons.

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

not a bad thought.

Outside shot and a solid defender.

I don't quite know what happened to him in Phoenix. Perhaps karma hit him with his "refuse to show up to work" fiasco.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

What about a CBA player that could help us? Of course if one of our guards gets injured Anthony Goldwire now playing for the Yakima Sun Kings. Goldwire was a sparkplug for us last year for sure.

Or guard Jimmie "Snap" Hunter of the Gary Steelheads could also fill in.
    "Hunter outdid himself recently with 34 points against the Mayhem, converting on 11 field goals (four 3-pointers) to go along with 8-of-10 from the charity stripe. Hunter had his streak of 30-plus point games halted at three when he scored 21 points vs. the Sun Kings (7-of-20). His one streak that did stay intact was his eight-straight games with a 3-point field goal, while he led the Steelheads twice in rebounding last week." (cbahoopsonline.com)
    ......The guy can rebound and shoot!

Or Rodney Buford is another guard tearing up the CBA

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

How about Rodney White?

That guy could shoot the lights out (in someone's dreams). :nod: In all seriousness, I agree with getting a shooter. As far as getting another big, OK, but we already have five guys total at the 4/5 positions. If we get another, that further pushes Darko down to the end of the bench. I like the thinking about getting someone to pack Shaq. Davis ain't the guy. Would like to know what Davis and Shaq's head-to-heads look like. Also, if we get another shooter, what does that do to Evans' minutes? Problem, we don't have enough multi-talented guys on the bench. Seems like they all do ONE thing well - and not all the time.

11. max

max All-Star

4th big

4th big is all we need and we already have Davis and Darko ( if he gets out of the dog house). Watching the games we do need that 4th big. Flip with Evans and Delfino has already expanded the rotation to 9 but its small ball.

On the shooter Evans is pretty good from downtown and Delfino is no slouch.

I like our team just the way it is as long as the Darko question is answered as he cannot sit on the bench for the entire season.

12. roscoe36

I agree. Just throwing his name out. I forgot all about him until I saw that interview this weekend.

Jackson's slated to make 2.6 million in the last year of his 3 year contract. I personally think he is a worm, but he does fit the bill from a skills standpoint.

How about

Flip Saunders + Tracy Murray?

Do the math. It almost makes sense.

13. roscoe36

It would almost be worth bringing him back for the endless Rufus Henry parodies.

I need to check this guy out. Imagine the pitbulls resurrected as "The Huntahs!". Print the T-shirts. I'd wear that one.

Kudos to armygirl for giving us something to talk about (intelligently).

14. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

We just need our bench to get more PT. We have 4-5 guys who could start for many teams who just are learning the system and eachother. No doubt in my mind AM, CD, CA,ME and DD can start on over %50 of the teams in the NBA.

15. armygirl

Some names out there who are either unhappy with playing time or other such issues are:

Voshon Leonard - Always liked this guy as a pure shooter, don't know much about his defense, but I am sure someone here does

Ben Gordon - Rumor has it he wants to be traded, Chicago needs a big man

Earl Watson - Name has pooped up many times in trade rumors

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Paper reports that Chris Bosch is absolutely not returning to Toronto. Trade for Darko, anyone?

17. roscoe36

What else would we have to give up? CB4 is a bonafide NBA superstar in the making.

Could someone clarify that for me? Assuming (too busy to look it up) that Toronto took his option, doesn't T.O. have the right to match ANY offers in RFA by offering him a qualifying offer?

It was my understanding that If you are drafted in the first round, you play well and the team will pay, you aren't going anywhere for 9 years.

Assuming of course the player doesn't take his qualifying offer, which in my mind is stupid. Look at Yao Ming and Stoudemire. Those guys re-signed and then had their first serious injuries. That's guaranteed max deal money in the bank.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ben Gordon is interesting. He's a chucker, but he does make a lot of them. And his salary is very low. I think his problem with the Bulls stems from his bench status though, which would not be rectified with Detroit.

19. max

max All-Star

topic

Yes it is a good topic but we already have enough jump shooters. A veteran 3-pt bomber off the bench is only going to take time away from Delfino who has a great upside. Unless you want to trade Evans for an upgrade.

We need a 4th big. Thats the only thing I see short of having the perfect team. 70 wins is not going to mean anything if we once again come up one big guy short in game 7 of the Finals.

20. armygirl

Yeesh I hate to mention the name of Grant Hill, still seething over that one. However, after reading today's Detroit News on the way Francis & Stevenson was giving him the blues regarding his shooting, what a mess they have there in Orlando.

G. Hill just don't fit in real well with that crowd. However, he is in the last year of his contract, Joe D is still in love with Hill.

Dialogue anyone on this matter.