We must get bigger and acquire a shooter

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 27, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Army Girl You Called My Number

I am big can shoot the sheet with the best of em. LOL

Seriously you make a good point on another big man. Flipper should play J Max more. He is one big tough dude.

As are as shooters go. They got Lindsey coming back. He can shoots lights out. In fact most of the time he is shooting his shots they look like he shot them in the Dark, oh not not another Pink Tiger, I mean Panther.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I read the Chris Bosh article in the free press this morning. I just went through the sports section so I could post a link, but, it seems they have taken the article out of the paper sometime in the last 6 hours.

I'm sorry, I don't know what happened. I must have been hallucinating. I swear I read it in the Freep this morning.
    :redface::redface:

4. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Nice but

I really don't think Joe is gonna make a deal, IMO.

Darko, is looking really really bad right now, and that's an understatement. But maybe it's the optimist in me but I'm holding out hope that he would work out, somehow.

At least he isn't Kwame Brown.

I'm intrigued by the Grant Hill thought. I really don't know if salaries would match to get him back here. He would be a great bench addition. I don't care if it would take Darko, Evans, Acker, JMax to pry him loose. Anybody aside from the Fab Five, Dice, Arroyo (unless we get a similar skilled PG in return who can adequately run our offense when CB1's on the bench), Delfino (he looks good, but no time, but looks like a keeper when on the floor), Amir Johnson (I wouldn't trade the so-called next Kevin Garnett).

I wonder if Earl Watson would be interested here but clearly he's headed somewhere else and rumor has it that they're close with Indiana for Artest. I think we could trade Arroyo if we had Watson.

Just thoughts though..:)

5. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

We could've picked up a shooter like Salim Stoudamire on the last draft and put him in when Rip is in. Have Rip and Stoudamire run around our giant bigs for screens and get open for shots, just like Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis do in Seattle.

Lets hope JJ Reddick's still around at the bottom of the draft next year, he'd be a great pick up. Mold nicely (even though his D needs a little improving)

6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Grant and more

I for one never really hated the fact that Grant Hill left the Pistons. It turned out well because we did not have to pay the huge salary for all those unproductive years while he was hurt. And he is still not right.

Of course, that is after the fact, but I never really was pissed at him because he did a huge amount of work for us and when it looked like we were still years away, he left to maybe have a better shot at a ring.

Let's face it, there is not a lot of team/player loyalty out there; people and teams are looking for what is good for themselves. And if what is good for them is good for all, it's a good fit. But if not, somebody gets hurt. Grant played his heart out here and decided that a change of scenery might do him good. Things certainly did not work out for him, but we did just fine after casting about for the right route for a while.

Getting back to the initial reason for this thread (thanks, armygirl), I have become convinced that the Pistons brass feels that they do not need Darko and I expect him to be traded. All this talk and his lack of playing time has me convinced that he is not really in the forefront of Flip and Joe's ideas of how they are building this team, and Darko knows it.

So, I guess it is to everyone's best interest to let him loose against Shaq tomorrow night. If he does well (and I am convinced he will DO WELL against Shaq) he might change Joe and Flip's mind. If he does not, they are still showcasing him for a trade and I feel that there are teams out there who will be interested.

I am just as convinced that DD is not the answer for Shaq and
    Duncan and I am convinced that Darko is. I know he can play well against Shaq (as well as anyone else on the Pistons, bar none) and he could help for minutes against Duncan, although there he wouold be spelling Sheed. We have no one else who would do much better against Shaq right now, and he will, with someone finally showing confidence in him, improve. We have had no problem on the forum in wanting Elden back, just for use against those two players, so we should not have problems, IF DMC does well against Shaq. And we will not know until we try him.

So, Joe and Flip, put him on the floor against the Diesel tomorrow night (give me a birthday present for all my support through the years) and you will be rewarded, as well.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

we are fine

we don't need another big man. besides my opinion that darko is the truth and will become a great big man with regular playing time. the fact is our rotation doesn't allow for another big man. how many big men out there that are rideing the bench somewhere can come into the pistons and "earn it"?? oh yeah i forgot darko is the only player that has to earn it all others that come to the team step in and play right away. this big man will have to take time away from mcdyess, sheed, dd and ben?? the only big i see us picking up is elden and flip will use him correctly and rest ben against miami.

we have shooters on the bench. mo evans is a really good spot up 3 point shooter just don't ask him to create his own shot. arroyo has a nice midrange jumper. delfino has a really good stroke also. also which off the bench shooter would get minutes on the pistons??? the guy we get would have to be better than rip, tay, delfino, arroyo, evans. it isn't too many guys our there like that. we are one of the best shooting teams in the league. we don't need another shooter.

what we need is a slasher. which we already have in delfino he drives as good as anybody. so my point is we have all the things we need they are just on the bench waiting for oppurtunity.
    i agree darko is our answer to the 4th big to come in for foul trouble prevention against shaq and duncan. duncan will give darko more trouble than shaq but darko's length and speed will block or alter quite a few of duncan's jumpers. darko's strength will also bother duncan.

darko has already played shaq and zo well in the preseason. i was at the game both of these players were not dogging it against darko they were trying. shaq is stronger than dmc but not strong enough to move him out of there without fouling dmc. dmc has size and strength and speed something that will definitely bother shaq.

i am not so convinced that the pistons aren't still high on darko. joe has an eye on now and the future. flip is probably more purely thinking about now. it's time to stop teaching darko off the court lessons and put him on the floor for some on the job training.

8. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Chill out. I just got done with therapy over Rose not coming here.

9. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I really don't see Joe trading Delfino. His work ethic is right. His attitude is right. And Flip is beginning to give him valuable minutes. Delfino fits on offense, and his defense is coming around.

But if we're talking pipe dreams here, I think Evans and Darko would be tempting trade bait.

Darko has the potential to have potential.

And Evans hasn't really showed that his hustle is more valuable than a shooter that could "shoot the lights out, and play good defense". At least in my opinion.

As for Acker, or Maxiel... they are low draft picks that I can't see anyone giving up a Shaq stopper and a pure shooter for.

10. Superstarov

Oh yeah.

I don't think Davis would have much of a trade value either.

And I'm not convinced that Darko is sticking around.

Under a new coach, he still has not proven that he has the attitude to play with the big boys.

Remember when LB was the problem with Darko? What's up now? More excuses? He's too cold coming off the bench to contribute late in the game? Come on. Send the Serbian Soap Opera packing already... maybe to Denver or Philly or the Lakers... they seem to like dysfunctional guys.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

classic

That was a classic observation! :)

12. bball jay

the problem with darko is he's being handled the same way he was handled under lb. garbage time development only. when darko was being played consistent minutes and a decent amount of minutes he was responding.

under the next coach that gives darko garbage time only. he will respond the same way. the coach that gets through to darko and unleashes him will be the coach that is interested in developing young talent and winning. not the coach interested in making young players earn it or pay thier dues. darko plays better when he plays early in the game. it doesn't take a genius to know that you should play him early then. but these two coaches have been too stubborn to let a player play when he is at his best. it goes against thier ego. they have the you play when i want you to play mindset.

13. Superstarov

Isn't there a Darko thread somewhere for you to be writing about this stuff?

14. bball jay

you write about darko. i'll respond about darko. in any thread.

you want freedom to bash darko without a response???

15. Superstarov

Man, the Serbian Swat Machine should be paying you to swing from his jock.

16. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I remember when Grant Hill was acting like he was gonna stay here. Joe had gone out of his way to roll out the red carpet and make him the team leader. Acquired all his boys (Laettner, Curry, etc.) and granted his every wish.

I remember his father advising him NOT to go to Orlando. Told him he'd like to see him finish his career with one club like he did. Told him Joe D was for real, the franchise had a solid tradition, and was run by people who knew what they were doing and wanted to win.

I remember Grant acting silly and talkin outta the side of his mouth to Joe about staying here. I remember Tamia having a problem living in big bad Detroit. And wanting to go to that "music mecca," Orlando instead of Motown. I remember Grant's snide comments about the City when he left. I remember he thought the Magic would cake walk to the championship after signing T-Mac and possibly Duncan. I remember thinkin Grant would be a good fit in a town boasting Mickey Mouse.

Well....it looks like his Pops was right. But Grant will be allright. With about $32 Mill remaining over 2 years he's waaaay out of Piston territory. I wish him well and hope he don't feel too bad when we spank him.

17. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Uh-Ohh. Looks like Bball Jay is riling up the Lynch Larry crew. Givin them a new target. Is any coach safe?

18. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

4 Things

1.) Grant Hill back in the D? Wouldn't that be like remarrying an ex-wife you don't love anymore while you're still married to the wife you do love? ...and then sharing a house together?

I'm not infatuated with this idea. I say we look elsewhere. Allan Houston anyone? :laugh:

2.) Q: Should Saunders work Jason Maxiell into the rotation?
    A: Do you want Darko to come to games drunk and unshaven, smelling of foul apathy, triggering his untimely suicide? (If I were Darko and I wanted to kill myself, I would definitely hang myself from the Palace rafters along side all the retired numbers. What an ironic visual that would make, huh?).

3.) What do the Pistons need? How about a better backup PG. A steady veteran in the mold of Anthony Johnson. Someone you can trust with the basketball. In other words, the total antithesis of Carlos Arroyo.

4.) Superstarov...we've got the Paul Simon quotes covered. I don't think there are any other "Detroit" / "basketball" quotes left in his canon.

19. Superstarov

Paul Simon does mention Windsor... and then Saginaw, and Michigan, but I think Papa Hobo pretty much covers the D-Town.