1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

We Won't See It Coming...Draft Night Trade???????

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 26, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tonight is the draft. After all the speculations, rumors and proposed trades, I think we are going to be hit with an unexpected trade.

If you look at the way Dumars operates, it always appears that he is silently lurking in the background, in the darkroom making moves that even the media don't see coming.

That appears to be Joe D's style.

I am going to say that this is the night when Joe will make a move, not the one we expect, but a move.

Since it looks like no Baron D, Harrington, Melo, Camby, Atkins, etcccccc.. No one in the media seems to be talking about Houston and Tracy McGrady.

So who will be moved....it's draft night.

Rip was mentioned yesterday as possible trade bait going to Toronto..If that's the case, we have to take Jose C.

Thoughts...ideas...comments

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I don't have a freakin' clue on the what, who, or when!!!!!!!!!!

:yellowprison:

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ditto.

Except that the Raps will never trade Calderon.

Though Joe might trade...

Hamilton/Prince/Johnson for Brand and Maggette.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Joe seems content to sit and be cool. Expect him to pick up Thompson, and nothing else happens on draft night. Joe doesn't deliver......yet.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Or....

Billups / Prince / McDyess for

Brand / Maggette / Thornton / Knight / Powell

Pistons start Stuckey and Rip with Affalo and Brevin Knight (occasionally) off the bench

Start Maggette, Brand, and Sheed up front with Max and Amir off the bench and Thornton if he can play.

Still needs a backup small forward, and that's a small frontline.

6. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

Agreed, I think everyone expects it draft night (myself included) but Joe won't do that. He will sit back silently lurking on pounce on an opportunity that comes up because some team didn't get what they wanted needed prior to or durring the draft. He is like a stupid GM predator. Its too bad Billy King and whats his name in Atlanta are both gone, but luckily Atlanta went from dumb to dumber in Rick Sund!

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is definitely a viable niche.

8. max

max All-Star

Dumars has not done much in years. Time to step up again.

He should have been doing this stuff last summer when we were disgraced by the Cavs after being up 2-0.

If we go into the season with this same team and the same old then I will be very dissapointed and may have to consider getting league pass to adopt an extra team or 2.

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I hear you max.

I'm kinda expecting something to go down that will be TOTALLY out of left field (not Carmella, T-Mac, B-Diddy, etc).

...that being said though, I'd rather see Joe make NO deal than a BAD deal. The "window of opportunity" is still open (slightly, maybe a crack) for this roster (with some tweaks and development of youngsters) if Mike Curry can give this team the azz-kickin' that Flip seemed reluctant or unable to provide.

Maybe the "deal" that gets done is at the deadline next year.

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't see a big deal done tonight. i think the pistons feel they can get CDR or Thompson at #29 and will be happy with that. i can see a smaller deal perhaps, maybe 2 of our 2nd-rounders next year for a late first or early 2nd this year if there's another player they really like.

11. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Joe Dumars should have done something.

12. armygirl

It may not be draft night, but I think Joe will definitely get rid of one or two starters before the season

13. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

Its not like he did NOTHING, he had a very quality draft and felt that the young blood would infuse the team with the drive it was missing. Was a good idea in theory. He just failed to realize that once the playoffs started Flip would completely ignore the rotation that had been so successful at the end of the season, instead opting to play the vets (you know the ones that last year proved they didn't have any burning desire...) during all of the critical minutes even though throughout the course of the games it was Stuck and Maxi that were the most reliable.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

Pretty much.

I don't think anything will get done tonight, and i don't mind if it doesn't. In fact, i'm not opposed to no trade as long as we use the MLE to pick someone of interest up.

15. armygirl

For sure nothing will not happen as far as moving up or down the draft board until the actual draft begins.

A moratorioum suppose to go into effect 24 hours prior to the draft where teams are forbidden to trade picks.

I didn't know that teams are not allowed to make trades in the during the draft for two consecutive drafts. This is against league rules, I thought this is pretty interesting.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

can you explain that a bit more? or link it... I know that your not allowed to trade away your first round pick two years in a row.. is that all you are referring to or does the rule go deeper?

17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The Pistons' past MLE acquisitions haven't exactly been mind blowing (Arvis, Nazr), and moves like that are pretty much all Joe made other than the draft. I don't believe bringing the same core back next season is the best move. Sure, we'll be competitive, but if you want a 'ship, they're not gonna get it done. If you want a real quality player, you have to trade for him, and that starting five needs a shakeup desperately.

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I'm, as you are, one of those who believes that rookie coach can't do it alone. Our starting 5 feels way too comfortably to accept new challenges.

19. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Dice, Billups...

Jarvis didn't get the whole MLE either. He got a part of it. Nazr has been the only real failure. You absolutely can get a solid player with the MLE, you just have to choose wisely.

20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I like that, however, I thought I read somewhere that Brand can`t be traded at this point in his contract.