Week 7 : Detroit Lions @ Cleveland Browns

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by roscoe36, Oct 20, 2005.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2005.
  1. Lions!

66.7%
  2. Browns!

11.1%
  3. Who cares?

22.2%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lions at Browns
    When: 1 p.m. Sunday, Browns Stadium, Cleveland
    TV / radio: Fox / WKRK 97.1
    Records: Lions 2-3, Browns 2-3
    Line: Browns by 3

Micro's take:
    This last week has all been about the media tearing the franchise to shreds. Mooch intentionally not naming a starter, knowing full well that if he benches Harrington for a self-admitted 70% Jeff Garcia and the Lions play poorly, his job is as good as done.

If for nothing else, the drama in this game revolves around who the QB is, and how they perform. Harrington may be making his last start as a Leo. Garcia might start with the pressure of not only trying to win, but save the job of his coach.

Once again, the Lions have lost me early in the year with their issues, shortcomings and chronic failure. But this weekend I will be tuning in to see the Dawg Pound and the Lions QB. The fate of a franchise hangs in the balance.

Here's a great quote from former Cleveland Browns running back, Ron Wolfley.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL. Here's a quote from Roy Williams current Lions W.R.:

"If you want me to run to the right...too friggin' bad... I'll go whichever way I damned well please!!!! "

This one is a tough call. I don't know who will win. Both teams stink. The Lions always do the "unexpected". But this time since we are aware of it then the "unexpected" may be the "expected" which is... to do the "unexpected". Now I have a headache.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dilfer messes up. Lions DEE 14 Lions OFF 10 = 24 pts. Dog Pound 20. Joel staves off the death sentence.
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

If the Lions were one player...they would be Trent Dilfer. lol.

Lions will win this one...the roller coaster continues.
  5. Darth Tater

I need to know who the QB is gonna be. If it's Harrington and no K.J., I think they lose.

That defense is looking good. I know they will make me eat those words.
  6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think the Lions are going to be Dilfered. LOL!!!:nod: I think Dilfer is going to light this bend don't break defense up. No Roy Williams, a 60% KJ if he plays and a terrible offensive line that will be short SACKUS equals a loss regardless who starts at QB.:frusty:
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

damn lions

I hate to say it but I agree. It always seems to be the guys that we should beat, are the ones that end up beating us. How many times have we been beaten by either a rookie, backup, over the hill or crappy QB??

Weinke, Orton and Griese this year.

Last year we got beat by Garrard, Brunell (Portis, if you remember threw a TD pass as well) and Volek.

Now its Dilfer's turn to look like a Hall of Famer.

Oh I love being a Lions fan!
  8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Dilfer won a superbowl with the Raven defense but key he didn't make mistakes.So much unlike our offense.But anyhoo about the Lions,it doesn't really matter I wish Jeffy was 100% and I wish he would be thrown in against one of the top defenses that Joey has faced result-
    Creamed Garcia.

Then maybe Mooch would get the extension he deserves.Millen's foot extending his keester out the door or a contract extension knowing our luck.

Bottom line this offense doesn't really suit Joey.He has struggled I'm not pulling blame off his shoulders but the rest of the offense hasn't produced either.Hard head is back this week maybe the running game will improve.

Prediction-No matter who starts this week Jeffy is in next week.
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

MotPri

I guess you're saying Dilfer is a below average QB like the Lions are a below average team. I use to think that before Dilfer won a superbowl. You can never take that from him. Let's see if our Dee can keep it close. Other wise this could be Bears revisited.:ohwell:
  10. MotownPride

The defense won that Super Bowl and there is a whole population of folks here in Tampa who still place him in the below average QB designation...and for just reason. That dude sucks. lol. His time here with the Bucks was a series of highs and lows just like the Lions. Tremendous potential only to watch him throw away a game in the last couple of minutes. Sound familiar?
  11. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

I stop wasting my fall afternoons on the Lions years ago. Sometimes I will tape the game and watch it later if there is something of interest.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dude that was ages ago. I'd trade him for Joel in a second.
  13. MotownPride

oh my gosh, if the Lions picked up Dilfer I might just slit my wrist. lol!
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In his prime, Dilfer was a "serviceable" NFL QB. He wouldn't win you too many games, but he wouldn't lose you too many either. Nothing flashy.

That was in his prime. The guy is 33 now. Not ancient, but when you were only decent to begin with, not good either. What does that all mean? It means he's going to have a career game against the Lions tomorrow and pull out a victory on the final play of the game.

Thats just how it works when you're a Lions fan.
  15. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Lions start Garcia, bench Harrington
    Associated Press/Fox sports.com
    Posted: 2 minutes ago

CLEVELAND (AP) - Jeff Garcia, released by the Browns in February, will start at quarterback against his former team Sunday, replacing the struggling Joey Harrington who has NFL's lowest passer rating.

Garcia returned to practice this week for the first time since breaking his leg in the Lions' final exhibition game. The 35-year-old was signed in the offseason by Detroit as a backup.

But with Harrington off to a terrible start (four TD passes, eight interceptions and a 55.6 rating), Lions coach Steve Mariucci has decided to go with Garcia, who played for him in San Francisco.
    Harrington, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2002 draft, had started 37 consecutive games - the longest streak by a Lions QB since Greg Landry (1970-73).

Garcia had one miserable season with the Browns, who signed him before last season. Former coach Butch Davis brought him in to revive Cleveland's offense, which couldn't get going with either Tim Couch or Kelly Holcomb.

But Garcia went just 3-7 as Cleveland's starter and his stay was marked by a public feud with offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie; his criticism of Browns offensive lineman; and a trial involving his girlfriend, a former Playboy playmate of the year, who fought another woman in a bar over the quarterback.
  16. Darth Tater

I'm certainly not blaming all of the Lions problems on Harrington and Garcia is by no means the answer to the Lions woes (not sure if any quarterback could do well here), but I think the Lions win today. The reason is because Cleveland also stinks. The Lions should get one passing touchdown and one on the ground. Hanson boots one & the defense gets a safety.

Lions 19

Cleveland 13
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Garcia v. Harrington

The Lions Weblog on detnews.com says Garcia has only had three days of practice under him. And he's starting? I think this is a bad idea. I'm not a huge Harrington fan, but as a coach you have to put the guy out there that gives you the best chance to win. I don't think Garcia is the guy for today. It's all on the defense again, I think. As far as the receiving corps being thin, I'm not sure it matters in Mooch's offense. They're not being used correctly anyway.
  18. Darth Tater

Agreed. His leg probably isn't even totally healed. But the team gave up on Joey. I think they had no chance with him in there and ANYONE would be better just because the team will play harder, I think. In the end it won't matter. Nothing will until everyone from the owner on down is gone. Ford will only have a winning team if he gets lucky and hires a good GM.
  19. Darth Tater

If anyone hears an up to the minute report on whether Kevin Jones will play (prior to the kickoff) PLEASE let me know.
  20. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Dt

They said on the Fox pregame show that he's definitely going to play.