Well so much for the "showcase" theory

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 2Tough4You, Feb 20, 2010.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Regarding Prince and Hamilton's minutes. Apparently, they weren't just getting minutes to "showcase" them to other teams for trades. We're a day removed from the trade deadline now and they're still getting a ton of minutes. Why...?

Tonight

Prince: 42 minutes

Hamilton: 36 minutes

Daye/Summers: 0 minutes

If this continues, and I fear it will, then I am sure I will not be the only Piston fan up in arms.

Man, it sucks when we're not even rebuilding when we should be.

Just setting us back even further...
  2. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

They are being showcased for next summer, while ensuring a top 5 draft pick at this years draft.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

to those - why joeD did not give away them cheaply - to get expiring contracts for them from JoeD was demanded lottery picks, I guess.

I hope you understand that due to known issues expirings are especially worthy now.

And you surely noticed that contenders wanted PF/C players but Dumars had only SG/SF to offer.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps you forgot that the Pistons have the Kwame Brown.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Agreed... this is disturbing... can't afford to set back the growth process.
  6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

roscoe, delete, plz. ( and discount it from my postcount)
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why delete? I think this is one of your better posts. :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You break it, you bought it. ;)
  9. max

max All-Star

rex - It was a good post becasuse it was the truth. Dumars is the one who signed and drafted all these SG's and SF's and now realizes that he needs some bigs. The one PF he did bring in seems to be allergic to walking inside the 3-pt line.

You know Rip/Tay are playing a lot better now, just that it's extremely dissapointing that Day is not playing because he is a very talented player who should be getting more experience. And I know the future rookies on this team who do not play much.

Summers - whatever, he is a 2nd round pick. But I would love to see, an it would be benificial to the team, to see Day more.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

You know, I can sort of see why Dumars would hang onto Prince because his value may increase next year as an expiring contract. But Hamilton? Please. His value is not going to go up next year... he still has 3 years left on his contract after this year. If Dumars was offered expiring contracts for Hamilton, he HAD to take that. Addition by subtraction.
  11. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Rip could get past his ego, and if Ben Go could show up, maybe Rip coming off the bench playing 20-25 minutes a game, would prove to be worth his contract. His trade value is only going to go down, but he is still a proven winner, capable scorer, and decent defender. Like someone mentioned in the Ben Gordon is a bully thread, Rip is the only one on our team with any type of attitude. We do need that somewhere down the road.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, an attitude that has more than worn out it's welcome in Detroit.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Does anyone think Joe is going to resign Bynum this summer? He's a restricted free agent.

The way I see it, if he resigns Bynum than it's so damn clear that Dumars is not rebuilding and he still believes he can win with this team. If Bynum is resigned, I'll lose even more faith in Dumars' plans going forward.
  14. roscoe36

The only problem with Bynum is that he regularly shows up Stuckey when healthy.
  15. hitafreethrow

Alright Rascoe, there is no way we can afford to pay both Stuckey AND Bynum max contracts...
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Will, when healthy is legit. Will's presence makes the Ben Gordon signing an even bigger waste of money. The pairing of Gordon and Bynum is simply awful. Will and Bengo need and deserve anywhere from 28-32mpg minimum, can't do that with 4 guards. I'd like to see what would happen if Will could get his ankles healthy and we shut down Bengo.

A 3 Guard rotation of Bynum/Stuckey/Rip is very ideal.
    Bynum / Rip.....Works
    Bynum / Stuckey....Works
    Stuckey / Rip.....Works

I'm not saying trade BenGo, but.........we have a major roster imbalance and alot of complementary players that don't complement one another very well.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There are only 28 games remaining in the Pistons season. They are 8.5 games out of the final playoff spot with such powers as the Bobcats, Bucks and Sixers ahead of them. Someone needs to wake up the Pistons management and coaching staff that this is really a rebuilding year and if you don't play your rookies now, they will be riding the pine next year too. it is hard to develop without playing in real game situations. We learned that lesson already and that is why Max is still behind the curve more than he should be, and Amir was let go without utilizing his full potential in Detroit.

At this point we need to activate Summers and give him and Daye at least 15 mins of non garbage time so that they can learn by making mistakes the same way JJ is and be ready to give is some quality minutes next season when the likes of Big Ben, Kwame and Wilcox are possibly gone. Prince and Rip can afford to give up some minutes and if Wilcox and Kwame are going to sit anyway, you can put one of them in a suit behind the bench with Atkins and dress and play Summers.

Who cares if we lose a few more games?? Swallow your pride Joe get the fresh faces in the lineup and train them. We are currently in the 6th lottery slot...and probably can finish anywhere 4th to 9th place, but lets ease the minutes of Tay and Rip get the new guys in there.
  18. max

max All-Star

Good post and I do agree with you - Its over. Time to wave the white flag on the season and start building toward next.
  19. roscoe36

I think we get a lot out of Bynum relative to Stuckey, for a fraction of the money.

I'm not wild about either one of them as the starting point guard, but any conversation about the 4th or 5th guards causes me to roll my eyes. The problem is not Will Bynum. Re-signing Will Bynum for a modest salary to come off the bench is not the problem.

The problem is in the starting lineup, a lack of quality up front, a lack of balance in the back court, a franchise player who struggles to outplay almost everyone else, a lack of cohesive team defense, a 30 year old offense ... need I go on?

So when people talk about Atkins, or Bynum, or Kwame, or Wilcox, it misses the point. The problems with this team are not roster positions 9~12. They are positions 1~5.
  20. hitafreethrow

It will be interesting to see exactly what FRACTION that is. If we over pay for Bynum, it will be a good indicator that we will absolutely and unfortunately over pay for Stuckey...