Went to a Shock Game

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by max, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max

max All-Star

Went to see the Shock beat Indiana tonight ( Fri 6-16 ). Had close seats in row AA ( 1st row behind court seats ) but they were more in the corner so some of the view was abstructed whenever someone walked by or an employee stood. I thought of some Piston fan paying $800 for the same seat in the post-season. You are a part of things but will miss some of the game.

Anyway it was entertaining and cheap as heck. Only $26/seat for those. It was very refreshing being there with only 5,000 or so other fans as compared to the usual hectic Piston game. No lines, no traffic. You could use the facilities and buy refreshments at the half with no waiting whatsoever. This must have been what it was like in the infancy of the NBA.

Shock looked good and won by 12 or so points. Deanna Nolan is very fast. Ran the ball up the court in what seemed like 2 seconds, we could use someone like that on the Pistons. I also wish we could find the male equivalent of Cheryl Ford for the Piston frontline. She is an amazing post-player and lives in the paint, outstanding offensive rebounder and usually finishes her post moves. Katie Smith is the main shooter on the team. I don't know if it was just that game but I did not see Swin Cash as the main catalist on that team. She is good but I would place her behind Ford and Nolan.

Not to sound like a sexiest but I was impressed on how much more attractive our players are than Indy's - if that means anything.

Billups was there with the wife and fam. If its good enough for him then its good enough for you. You will at least not get stressed out in the slightest with any of the inconvinences of a typical sold out Piston game.

They play 4 10 min quarters with abreviated timouts. The game was played in less than 2 hours.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Max, actually...you don't have to go quite so far back to the infancy of the NBA. If I recall, I could get seats like that for about 16 bucks in 1979 at the Silverdome. 10 rows back and it was 2 seats for 8 bucks (with a coupon from the entertainment book).

You're right, it was great, although the team sucked. :doh:

Then we got Isiah and the rest is history. :nod:

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

probably a stupid question btu I've never got to see a WNBA game. How's it like? Do some of them dunk once a game? Where is the difference? Is it slower, with more tactical play and jumpshots? Do they shove alot? Complain about the refs? Many hard fouls? Are there some star- like players who penetrate the zone all the time (like Wade or so) or is it more teasm basketball?
    Thanks for answers!

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I've seen a fair amount on TV. They rarely dunk. Lisa Leslie of the LA Sparks dunks occasionally, but it's not a thrown-down dunk. She barely gets over the rim and just kind of places it in there. It's definitely slower and more tactical. There is no play above the rim so it is much less entertaining. I don't know about the hard fouls. I know that Cheryl Ford is a bruiser and throws her weight around (a la her father Karl Malone). I think they complain about calls, but they don't follow the refs around like in the NBA. The women are much more polite. I think there is less paint penetration and reckless abandon like you'd see from Wade. The game is definitely predicated more on fundamentals and outside shooting and straight post-up plays.

It isn't the most exciting game in the world, and that it hurts it at the box office. The league is in its 10th season and without the backing of the NBA, it would probably be sunk. It has a high lesbian fan base and I think about 40 percent of the players are lesbians, according to some reports I've read. I only mention that because there has been some discussion about how the WNBA ignores much of its fan base in its marketing strategy.

5. max

max All-Star

This is not the NBA, not even close. I was just amazed after going to over 200 Piston games over the years what I found there. Free parking and all in the VIP lots. Tickets range from I think around $50 for courtside seats to $10 for the rest of the lower bowl. No lines for anything, no traffic, no waiting for the restrooms, no real hassels whatsoever. Cost wise its roughly equivalent to going to the movies depending on your seat selection.

Talent wise it has more of a college feel to it minus the dunks. They do complain about calls just like in the NBA but for some reason the calls seem to be more fair and balanced. I would also imagine that given the salaries which range from around 20k to something like 60-70k for max contracts that many athletes think its just not worth it turning pro. Unless you are a superstar and get sponsership you can make more money using those 4 years in college to pursue a degree.

On 40% being lesbian. I have not heard that before and do not know where that figure was arrived at but its not definetly not a lesbian sport ( not that there is anything wrong with that - Seinfeld ) . Granted the majority of WNBA players are not exacly beauty queens so perhaps thats where the perception comes from. Only real differense in the audience is there were a lot of young teens there. I would imagine that the WNBA provides more positive role models for them than other venues. Or perhaps their parents have found something that they can take the whole family to without spending a small fortune. If anything the WNBA crowds have more of a family following than the NBA. Its cheap and no one is getting drunk.

If you have never been to a game before then its probably more entertaining than what you think.

6. ggazoo69

I read the 40 percent figure in an article by Jayda Evans, the beat writer for the Seattle Storm. She wrote an article in late May about the WNBA's delicate balancing act. Here's the excerpt:

"The players and the league dance a smooth tango around the issue. Swoopes, though she has every right, even softens her outing by saying she wasn't "born gay." The league says it has no stipulation on its athletes, and they in turn use concerns of losing endorsement deals and bringing unwanted attention onto their team as reasons to keep quiet about their sexual orientation. Lesbians and league officials, who spoke under the condition of remaining anonymous, estimated that approximately 40 percent of the 154 WNBA players could be identified as lesbians.
    The league will see what the response is to Swoopes this summer. It's already planning a bang-up celebration for its monumental 10th anniversary. On its Web site during the offseason, the WNBA posted an action photo of Swoopes and a list of posts from its forum."

Here's the link, but you gotta register: LINK

7. max

max All-Star

ggazoo - well it does not really matter to me anyway. I posted that because I left that Shock game a satisfied customer. If female athletes are more prone to be homosexual then so be it - its their choice. No one seems to mind that male figure skaters and fashion designers tend to be gay.

8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

maybe this Margo Dydek- giant should be introduced to Yao- if they had a son he could be the most dominant C this league has ever seen.

9. ggazoo69

Doesn't matter to me, either. The game is the thing. You got it right. :nod: The only reason I brought it up is because I had read it recently and thought it interesting.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I've watched a handful of games... I was impressed with the off the ball movement by the Shock... Left me thinking that Laim has a grasp on offensive schemes and team play... yeah Noland really likes to push the ball...
    Off topic but I can see Chauncey being a combo guard within the next couple years.... which could make Delfino and Amir battling for PT at SF.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I tried to watch part of a game today, and thanks to Gaz, and it was impossible. I spent the whole time guessing who was a lesbian and who was not.

I accept 40% of the blame.

12. ggazoo69

Being a lesbian myself, I'm in total support.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LMAO. :laugh:

Nah, you've mixed up the terms lesbian and transvestite. Give your wife her bra back and you'll be ok. It's too big on you anyhow.:suspiciou

Dang, now I've got this mental picture of this little green man...

14. ggazoo69

Ha ha. Just for the record: I'm a lesbian because I like women, but I don't dress up in their clothing. :nod:

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That might explain the heavy doses of nair :P

16. max

max All-Star

:noidea: I know I did the same thing. Dangit gagazoo!! Here I could have been enjoying some WNBA games this summer in ignorant bliss...

That 40% number does leave one guessing. How can you not think about it and wonder? Not that there is anything wrong with it.

17. ggazoo69

OK, I'm done with this thread. I've opened up a can of whoop-azz on myself. :laugh: I brought up the lesbian thing because I study gender and race in sport here at UConn so I'm interested in the way the treatment of human beings in sport is affected by their race, their gender and sometimes their sexuality or disability (just as a side note, handicapped athletes are treated like isht in this country). I'm not as interested in the sexuality piece because if you can ball, you can ball, and that's all that matters. But the WNBA marketing departments are in a tough spot because there are a significant amount of lesbians balling in their league (that didn't sound right), and the fan base reflects this from what I've read. Probably not so much in Detroit, but other WNBA cities for sure. This subject matter really has no point. We were kinda talking about the WNBA and I thought I add my 2 cents, such as it is.

18. max

max All-Star

This is not an earth shattering thread either way. If a game costed Piston type prices then I would tell you guys to save your money.

You can go for slightly more than a movie ticket and will probably wait less.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Never now the direction a thread might take... mostly we're bored, so we have to insert a little humor to pass the time...
    I'm thinking there might be a marketing slot for you in the WNBA... nobody has marketed to the gay community yet.... maybe a new slogan is in order...
    "The WNBA...you'll have a gay old time" ...Flintstones theme...(too bad they don't have a team called the Pis-stones) :P

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think that 40 percent of the WNBA players have more back hair than ggazoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.