Western Playoffs 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Apr 17, 2011.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah it's been ahwile since you have seen a team show some "humbling" class like the Spurs did last night in congratulating the young Grizzlies. Dyess, Popovich, Manu and TD went out of their way to hug and give them the good luck, "you really kick our Arses" talk.

Zebo was the man in the 4th and it to bad he won't be signing with the Pistons this summer he has now found a home.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Memphis didn't get as much of the short end of that Laker trade as people were thinking when it originally went down.

That other Gasol is pretty darned good.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I hope the Spurs stay together til they can no longer make the playoffs.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

They should fire the coach and send Ginobili to Denver...
  5. LA Dre

Then the new Piston owner bids the highest for Popovichs services??
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nems, you think Popo blew it ? Or are they just old ?
  7. Nemo

Nah...I'm just repeating what happened to the Pistons...

Fired Saunders and eventually shipped Billups to the Nuggets.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I totally didn't catch that. Maybe if you had said trade Parker.
  9. Nemo

You're right...Parker WAS the correct choice for it to make more sense. Manu seemed more logical..
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I agree.

Manu is a couple years past 30, like Chauncey was when we traded him.

Where as Parker is not 30 years old yet.

It made sense to me, then again when I see that Spurs starting lineup practically all I see is how old it is.
  11. LA Dre

Zach Randolph is proving to be one helluva beast and you have to wonder if even with the addition of Kendrick Perkins can the Thunder stop Zebo and Gasol?? Still only one game and I am sure that OKC can take a game in Memphis, but if I were the Thunder, I would be worried. The Grizz won the season series 3-1....

The Grizz withstood every comeback the Thunder threw at them with the inside play as the turnovers really cost the Thunder.

Gasol and Zack 54 pts and 23 boards between them. Gasol 9-11 from the field, Zebo 9-9 from the line.

Westbrook and Durant got theirs (62 pts) but no real production from anyone else.

Remember this article that would have surely helped the Pistons>

Zach Randolph wants to join Detroit Pistons « PistonPowered

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It certainly would have boosted that dismal frontcourt of ours to have Zach...

Would Zach have wanted to play for a team of our caliber though?
    As he's about to celebrate his 30th Bday I would think he'd be wanting to avoid any sort of rebuilding, since by the time we acquired any sort of talent to be in real contention like the Grizz are his best years would be in the rearview mirror.

Memphis has alot of nice pieces that fit well together, not to mention that Rudy Gay fella that's modeling clothing for them on the sidelines, whereas we have some stuff Joe shoved into a bag one Saturday afternoon once he found out the entire bag would only cost him a single buckaroo.
  13. LA Dre

If you looked at the original date, this was near the beginning of the season...Who knew we would ssssssuck the whole season and Zack would fall in love with his coach and the direction he took the team. Who knows if he would have been on the same page as Kuester since no one else was.....:stirthepot:
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I can't speak much for the latter part as far as how well Zach has worked out in Memphis this year.....I never saw that coming.

But I did pretty much figure we'd suck if we were going into the season with the same bunch of sucks as before.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I like the fact it's not all East and West coast teams playing now. Good for the small markets.
    How did the Grizz turn it around ? I remember 2-3 years ago they 2 scorers in Gay and somebody, yet was winning 25 games a season.
  16. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Grizzlies in search of an improbable run to the WCF.

Reminiscent of the Nuggets in 94. Everyone remembers them knocking off the #1 Sonics in the 1st round, but not many remember that they also took the Malone/Stockton Jazz to 7 games in the 2nd round - at one point up 3-2.

The Knicks got to the Finals in 99, but that was the lockout shortened season and their team was better than their record. After the Heat series, not the toughest road to the Finals it must be said.

It proves you have to peak at the right time. They are even starting to look a little like our Pistons in 04...
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Memphis won a game in DET this year where they played lethargically and struggled. (There was some sort of controversy on the Pistons side. Maybe this was Franchise's first start at the 2?) What stood out to me was how together the Griz were despite their poor play and how they were holding each other accountable when miscues were occurring.

It was around the time of this article and I remember thinking that Randolph should have a long talk with Ben Gordon after the game about fleeing a good situation for $$$.

I'm beginning to have a hard time picturing anyone beating the Griz.
  18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh I very dearly hope so too.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Well, Dallas was able to beat the [STRIKE]referees[/STRIKE] Lakers on their home floor to take game 1. The refs tried very hard to give the game to the Lakers, highlighted by two bogus calls as time expired in the 2nd quarter that resulted in 4 bonus points for LA, who took an 11 point lead to the lockerroom which should've been 7.

Dallas started the 3rd sluggish and the lead ballooned to 16 pts. The stage was set for another "Phil's teams are 823436902-0 when they take game 1 in a series... Dallas flames out again..." headlines, but Nowitzki had other ideas.

Dallas chipped away at the lead and finally got up top with less than a minute left in the game. Kidd played some terrific defense on Kobe towards the end. Kobe still had a chance to win it in the end, but his 3-ball didn't go in.

It was a great game because Dallas won playing 5 on 8 basketball.

Nowitzki looks very different than he did in the past. He no longer seems intimidated by physical defense. Despite a flurry of no-calls as he got his hands slapped non-stop, he still posted 28pts and 14 boards agains the Lakers while shooting 50% from the field and perfect 5-5 from the line.
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't mind Dirk getting a ring. I can't say I'd root for them over Thunder/Grizzlies but I also wouldn't root against them in such a matchup. The guy sometimes hums David Hasselhoff songs at the free throw line to calm down, that by itself is worth a ring.