1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Western Playoffs 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. I've never seen him play this good.

2. Walter

Stern doesn't care who people like. It's all about money. Wade & LeBron are in the top 3 jersey sales. Among the merchandise sales, Miami is #3, Dallas isn't even in the top 10 (source).

The TV coverage is also indicative. You are watching WCF and everybody's talking about how this player or that player can play against the Heat. There's more coverage of the Miami clowns than the actual game going on.

Also, I would say that it is most basketball fans do not like the Heat. Almost all casual, fair weather fans like the pseudo-All Star team from South Beach. Who doesn't like watching Harlem Globetrotters? They just want to see Wade and James do uncontested dunks and pose for the cameras.

Regardless of who wins the West, they'll be facing an uphill battle. It'll be like playing 7 straight road games because of the officiating.

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The Stern conspiracies always seem to help the teams and players people don't like. It's obvious to me that he's doing whatever is necessary to stop James from winning his first ring so the "will The Ringless King get a ring"-thing can continue to intrigue the world. He always goes far but not the whole way, just like Stern wants it.

4. Walter

I don't think Stern is the reason why LeBron doesn't have a ring. LeBron has nobody but himself to blame for that.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I love watching Kidd play.

6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I love watching Kidd's Kid play.

[​IMG]

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love watching Kidd play with his ex..

[​IMG]

8. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

You're exactly right. When the Mavs were coming back in Game 4, all I heard was "Miami Heat Miami Heat". When Russell Westbrook got benched in Game 2, I didn't know until someone told me because the media narrative was about the Miami Heat. Don't you remember during Dirk's historic 48 point outburst in Game 1, all I heard was "SOUTH BEACH HEAT MIAMI SPOLESTRA". :sssh:

In all seriousness, I've found casual fans are the ones that have the biggest problem with the Heat. Because most people's reasons for disliking them are rooted in things that have nothing to do with anything that happened on the court.

Wait wait a minute, are we talking about the Heat in a thread about the Western Playoffs? Ironic.

I look for Dallas to close OKC out in 5, seems like they've broken their will.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

If the Heat want to be known as the "Heatles" based on the world famous quartet...Then Dirk should be known as "Gelvis" The German Elvis who jelled for the playoffs....

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, OKC must feel like they played their best game and still got beat.

I'm guessing Perkins will try to set a tone in game 5 and get tossed in the first quarter for knocking someone into the stands.

11. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I could be wrong, but I think the Perkins is one of the reasons they are struggling in this series. Not because Chandler is outplaying Perk, but losing Jeff Green hurt their bench more than anything. Game 4 showed how important James Harden is to that team, but (I believe) they don't start him because he's the only one capable of coming off the bench and scoring at a consistent rate. A lineup of Perk-Ibaka-Durant-Thabo-Westbrook combined with Oklahoma City's tendency to stop running a half-court offense for long stretches hurts them in games. They need Harden to be that 3rd guy to pick up the slack. Not to mention he's capable of handling the ball and great at getting to the line.

Scott Brooks still has to make sure Harden plays more than Thabo in Game 5. Balance the rotations better so that Harden can still play with the bench and the starters while getting over 30 minutes. Having a defensive stopper is nice, but not necessary when the opposing team is playing Stevenson or Terry at the 2.

I've been hearing recently that the Bulls and Thunder (more specifically Rose and Durant) are getting their first heartbreak before they can get to that next level. To some extent I believe that to be true. But also both teams have holes I think this FA period will fill.

12. Walter

Good points all. The Thunder is really one player away from the championship. They need a scoring big to pair up with Harden. I shudder to say this, but someone in the mold of CV. After this year, they won't have any trouble attracting free agents. Maybe Prince at OKC?

Anyways, enough of that. While you might argue that Perkins' lack of offensive output is hurting them, I'd say that without his grit and defensive presence, they wouldn't have gotten past Memphis.

13. dba

I think that's right, though he hasn't been as much of a difference maker as I had thought he would be.

Moving Green though is what gave Hardin and Ibaka the minutes they needed to get to the level they are at now. In effect, moving Green gave OKC Perkins, Hardin, and Ibaka.

14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Uhm, doing the N of FAN stands for. Great analyses man.

15. dba

Another late game comeback. Too much Marion, playing with a drive I've never seen before. Too much Kidd, completely under control and seemingly never missing an open three. That's not the Kidd who played in the finals for Jersey. Too much Chandler - the game just seems to swing their way when he comes in, just like the end of this one. And what can you say about Dirk?

These guys are making it interesting.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Westbrook and Durant shot a combined 19 of 48 for the game.

Durant got 23 points on 20 shots while Harden only needed 11 shots to get the same 23 points.

I remember when the Pistons won it all in 2004. The player with the hot hand took the most shots in each game.

With these guys...It seems like Westbrook is getting his, then Durant...no matter how they're shooting.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Westbrook is good, but still seems a bit immature especially in these playoffs. He will need to grow a little and see the game a little differently and maybe they get to finals in 2012 or 2013. He took 28 shots last night to get 31 pts. Dude had 6 technicals in 5 games and was the first guy to the locker room when it was all done....I was distracted some watching another program..but did he congratulate anyone on the way out?

In the +/- stats, I heard that Perkins was a minus 32 the first three games, but while he sat on the bench, the team was +24. Last night he had no points and he, Ibaka and Sefolsha scored 2 pts between them on 1-8 shooting....guess Westbrook never passed the rock to them....

Go MAVS

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He gave Stuckey a quick chest bump on the way to the locker room.

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I remember when Kidd was the default rebounder on the Nets. I'm sure he's quit that.
    More improtant things to do now. I got to tip my cap to him, he's punched his way back to the top. He should have a dominant series against the Heat entry, no ?

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

do you believe the refs will let him defend Wade or James as physically as he was allowed to defend
    Durant?

I sure don't.
    and when "King James" decides to D up Nowitzki Dallas better hope Stern doesn't choose to temporarily legalise the karate chop.