We've got mgmt & scouting issue, BAD!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Tyskillz, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

It's become ever so clear to me that the Detroit Pistons organization does NOT take their scouting seriously whatsoever... Thus the reason the late great Will Robinson was still on staff/payroll as their cheif scout at 90+ years of age!!!!! Like Kamla and the other NBA TV analysts were saying earlier today about San Antonio, when you repeatedly make good moves and find talent it is not just coincidence anymore... SA's mgmt & scouting is just that good! Meanwhile when you REPEATEDLY miss out on good players right in your face and invest in non-worthwhile talent then that is no coincidence either fellow Pistons fans... We have very VERY bad mgmt & scouting here in Detroit, they are not on their jobs and haven't been for awhile now. I know it may sound harsh to some right now, but I believe this to be the truth folks... After several years of feeling this same F'd up and disappointed way on and after draft day, I am convinced and more than aware of a terrible problem in our organization... Who would ever think a HOF guy that played on the highest level like Dumars is such a horrific evaluator of talent and drafting!!!
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can you post a liitle later, I'm really busy polishing my replica of the Pistons championship trophy.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

It's not about winning or losing. Bill D liked, and Joe likes, players & coaches with good character. Tandoori, Capp Spayce & Branew Rosta are perfect fits for this team.
  4. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

First of all. You really have no business feeling f'd up, disappointed or even happy about who the Pistons draft.

Do you really think that because you watch a few games, some highlight tapes, maybe research some stats and read all the "insider" information that your opinion has any value?

These scouts are guys that have played the game, coached the game, watched endless amounts of game footage, watched practices, workouts. They know more about the game, and what it takes to be successful than you can ever dream.

You read a statline, or some combine results, and you already have your mind made up. Basically you are ignorant in the world of talent evaluation.

You can't be too high or too low on any player. There will always be your Darko's and your Ben Wallace's. Ben Wallace came from modest beginnings to become the face of a franchise despite huge holes in his game. There is no reason why Daye couldn't do the same.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

C'mon now Dave....Ty has a point about being frustrated.

We're just looking for something to feel good about for the upcoming season. You get a bunch of less than inspiring picks and the frustration mounts.
  6. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

I must admit I am very frustrated. I cannot see the direction that this ship is going at all. This year’s draft seemed very disappointing to me as well. However, I respectfully disagree that the Piston’s organization cannot spot talent. They call the first fourteen picks of the draft the “lottery”, but the reality is that it is all a gamble. Overall the Pistons have done pretty well. Yes…Yes….I know Darko, but overall it has been fair. Prince, Okur, Maxiell, Stuckey, and Afflalo are all good picks for a team that drafts toward the end of the First round every year.

They also seen talent in players most didn’t value as high. Players like Hamilton, Billups, Big Ben and Bynum etc. There is a reason that they were a lock for the Eastern Conference Finals for several years. 50+ wins have been the norm not the exception. This does not happen if you can’t evaluate talent.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Wow Dude. I wasn't even aware Roscoe had hired a "Feelings Sheriff" for the forum. :cop: How does one become qalified for this position? Do you have a comprehensive list of what we should feel on various subjects? I want to make sure I'm feeling the right things.
  8. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

DeJuan Blair's knees will explode sometime within the next five years.
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Were there any players in this draft that actually excited anyone? I think it is just a crop of the college talent that is hit or miss most of the time. The team has done well. San Antonio has been on the top for a while, but how many of their draft pics are still there and contributing beyond Parker and Ginobili?
  10. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

But...but Joe is a genius! He made the team go to the ECF 6x times in a row!

He finds gems and...he hires good staff workers.

I admit, his drafting has been shady.

Rodney White? Walter Sharpe? Darko?

But the guy is the GM, and we have to stand by him.

Earl Clark...I disliked the Suns...but it grew a little last night.
  11. mikhail1973

What's with this draft thing? Can anyone name a manager whose picks always turned into at least a solid NBA player? All managers have good as well as bad picks, such is the nature of the game.
  12. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I'm just saying it's always been suspect at best with Joe Dumars.
  13. mikhail1973

Why is it suspect? Joe had one big miss - Darko. Rodney White supposedly was a "can't miss" player and Cleaves was a solid college PG. But Joe also managed to draft Tay, Okur, and Stuck. And while those guys are not stars, they are solid starters on their current teams.
  14. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

I'm just saying just because you form an unjustified bias for a player doesn't mean you need to get upset because your team didn't draft him.

Personally, I thought Jrue Holiday was a steal at #15, and could have been a good fit in Detroit with his ability to play and guard both guard positions. If we were set on taking a "project" he seemed like a better bet. But what do I know? I'm not going to get frustrated. Is anyone really expecting great things next season anyway?
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought about this early this morning.

Joe has a habit of reaching in the draft, that is, drafting a guy at 20 who would be drafted by 30.

He did it with Tayshaun. He did it with Darko. He did it with Maxiell. Delfino. He did it with Stuckey.

Most of these guys did not "fall" to us. They were guys that teams were not going to pick before us, and likely might not have picked a few spots behind us.

It's a very conservative way of drafting, which is probably why Joe has not really hit a homerun in the draft yet. His best drafts have been Memo and Tayshaun, neither of which are perennial All-Stars at this point in their careers, and might never be.

In fact, a good number of Joe's picks washout out of the league, Like Delfino, White, Cleaves, possibly soon supplemented by Acker, Darko (based on his claim about leaving the NBA) etc.

Where Joe excels is in free agency and contract management. This compensates for his lousy record in the draft, and make no mistake, it is indeed lousy.
  16. max

max All-Star

This was one of the worst drafts I have seen. Almost everyone that was picked before was some kind of project. They were saying how the guy picked at #14 was going to need a few years.
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

He didn't get the guys I wanted either, but I thought it went well yesterday.

Overall, I don't think he does so well. Maybe I was prepared for the worst so when I saw what he got I was fine with it. Personally, I was just happy he didn't take Mullens.
  18. Tyskillz

Wow, I see you are the same ridiculous neanderthal you were back on detnews.com... Good afternoon to you too Dave! First of all I've got every right in the freckin world to be disappointed, I'm a DIE HARD TRUE BLUE PISTONS FAN DAMMIT!!!!! You are basically ignorant to foolishly assume that only people that work for an NBA franchise know how to evaluate talent, HA!!! There are people in all industries that are good and bad at their jobs, just like Tom Wilson and co did a bad job during the teal era. Wake up, take off the homer shades, and learn a little about objectivity guy... I luv Joe D, but this is a reoccuring problem that needs to be addressed... There is a reason teams like the Spurs and others consistently come up with steals and solid picks and we (other teams too have this misfortune) don't fellow Pistons fans. Indeed the draft is always a gamble, but our Pistons are in the business of basketball thus should be a lot better at this process than what we have shown, seriously!
  19. Tyskillz

Good points Roscoe, although I strongly disagree with the notion Stuck, Tay, or Memo (2nd round steal) were reaches Joe and staff are indeed guilty of this practice. Delfino, White, Cleaves, Sharpe (the sleepy narcoleptic), and we'll NEVER forget ole darko aka sam bowie jr as you stated are clear examples of this. Indeed as many have said there weren't many studs in this draft, but there was still the opportunity to draft a solid player or 2 if you do your homework properly. To my knowledge Daye was only able to bench press the required 135 at the combine once and had one of the worst vertical leaps there... I'm sorry but I just can't see how or if this guy is going to be able to defend his position right now fellow Pistons fans. Daye is another work in progress fellow folks, I just don't have the patience for projects anymore that just never seem to work out for us in the end, sheesh!
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Have patience Brother.

It's not that bad if he can only bench 185 once. Durant couldn't do it at all.

Kevin Durant can't bench 185 pounds - NBA Pre-Draft Combine Results | NBA | Portland Trail Blazers | Oklahoma City Thunder

By the way to the Earl Clark fans out there....he only got 5 reps on the bench press.