What about signing Josh Smith and Andre Iguodala??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Feb 16, 2013.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Could you repeat that?
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The repeat post is a brilliant and often under-utilized posting strategy to provide a dramatic point of emphasis effect.
  3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The repost is also often a mistake when multi-tasking and the site reports that an error occurred during the post.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Smith shuts down small forwards.
    Iggy shuts down shooting guards.

Either can guard Lebron.

In an age where people are comparing Lebron to Kobe and stretching to compare him to MJ, and when Lebron says his goal is to the be the best all time, and when it's obvious that he's going to stay in the Eastern Conference (either with Miami or back to Cleveland), I think that it actually makes sense to build a team in order to match up best against him. We did it to match up against Shaq and it worked out brilliantly.

It's not like the Heat are a great outside shooting team from their starting 5. They would be better than us on average, but maybe not with the defenders that we'd lay on them. The goal would be to force them to shoot contested J's with our 2 lines of defense (Drummond discouraging entry into the paint). On offense, the goal would be to get fast breaks, dunks, and points out of the post with LOTS of offensive rebounding and garbage points. Calderon and Iguadala would make enough 3's to give some spacing.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Now you are being modest...
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Jose-Iggy-Smith-Monroe-Drummond is a good defensive lineup. It would be very hard to pull that one off, but if Joe can do that, we immediately become a top-4 team in the East (Miami, Chicago, Indy being the other 3).
  7. Cardono

Cardono Second Round Draft Pick

I wonder how that would work offensively...
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If it ever stalled out, we could just put in Will Bynum and it would all work out.
    linwood likes this.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Iggy, Smith, and to a certain extend Monroe, can all create their own shots. But the offense would rely on constant movement. You can run the offense through Moose at the high post with Smith, Iggy, Drummond cutting to the basket. You can post up Smith. Jose/Drummond pick and roll. There are plays to be made. But, for this to be effective, Moose has to develop a reliable mid-range shot.
  10. PistonsPoland

PistonsPoland First Round Draft Pick

It looks good on paper, but I hate it just for one reason. I don't want anyone to play not his natural position. Iggy is a natural SF, Smith is natural PF. It just doesn't work...
    KGREG likes this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

A good defensive line up?

That would be the stingiest defensive team in the league if you could get good rotation.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's just big ball. These guys are extremely athletic and their primary task would be to match up against Wade at SG and Lebron at SF. It'd rather have them both out there since either can guard him after switches.

Not in response to you, but here is something that I just saw in an article:
    Tonight, the Hawks play the Heat. Might be interesting watching to see how often he is asked to guard Lebron in his current situation and how effective he is.
  13. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Interestingly, Smith is the best defender at the 3, and best offensively at the 4. So he is closer to LBJ mould of players. Great first step, powerful drive, awesome in the post and under the rim, great finisher in transition, average long distance shooter. (Although LBJ is shooting lights out)
  14. PistonsPoland

PistonsPoland First Round Draft Pick

Maybe I just don't want to get disappointed and I don't think about Smith, because he could pick some higher market team. But IF Joe could bring him to Detroit, that would be really great.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  15. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm giving a big No on Iggy. Zero interest. I don't think that he could help us much offensively. You're talking about a 13 ppg guy. I would rather have Singler than Iggy. We need another wing scorer, not a guy who marginally upgrades our defense. I would rather draft Shabazz or Porter than overpay Iggy.

Chandler is just a guy. He's not a difference maker.

From a pure basketball perspective, Josh Smith makes a lot of sense for this team as a PF. Paired with either Moose or Dre, he can operate as a stretch 4. He would also be a nice shot blocker when Dre is out of the game. One major advantage in adding Smith would be his ability to match up with the super sized SF who are playing a lot of 4, like Lebron, Mello, and Wallace. A three man big rotation of Dre, Moose, and Smith would be TOUGH to handle. I would start Dre and Smith, and have Moose come off the bench for 33-34 minutes a night. That's a hell of a sixth man.

How much do you pay Smith? He's a 17 and 8 PF. Is that a max guy? I don't think so.
    KGREG likes this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't want either of these two guys for the estimated $$$ that Joe would have to pay them.
    A "max" player is a guy that you build an entire team around.
    The Panda likes this.
  17. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Is there ever going to be a better free agent than Smith and Iguodala who want to / will come to Detroit? Who was the last one?

I don't care if we have to overpay.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Smith wanted to be traded away bad enough from a playoff team, then they should have punished him and sent him to the Pistons for Stuckey, and Max and a pick.....but then we would have to convince him to resign over the summer....